October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Twilight Imperium 3 vs Nexus Ops

More
24 Feb 2009 16:21 #22131 by TheDukester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2009 16:29 #22134 by DeletedUser
What's the score?

More
24 Feb 2009 16:36 #22136 by Ska_baron
Michael Barnes wrote:

I declare JonJacob to be the new Michael Barnes. Let the internet tastemaking... BEGIN!

We'd better ban that guy before he gets fired up. Even if his last name is likely "Jingleheimer-Smith" he could present the greatest threat the boardgaming hobby has seen since Mayfair did all that price fixing.

Okay, okay - that was funny. So we'll let you back in as the new Weeks. Except this time you'll be funnier and people will GET the shtick.

Be careful out there AT tastemakers! This is a full-on AT RESTRUCTURING to avoid getting bought out by German investors. No one will be laid off except Avery - we're still not sure what he actually *does* around here.

More
24 Feb 2009 17:03 - 24 Feb 2009 17:03 #22139 by Shellhead
Death and Taxis wrote:

What's the score?

Almalik 1
Ken B. 0
Last edit: 24 Feb 2009 17:03 by Shellhead.

More
24 Feb 2009 17:21 #22141 by Mr Skeletor
JonJacob wrote:

I haven't posted on this site before but this is as good a reason as any.

TI3 hands down. It's got to be the King of AT games (or at least in the running) the super long play time is a GOOD THING. That is why it is epic, that is why we remember the TI3 sessions, that is why we argue about the game for two weeks after it is done. TI3 is the reason my 9 year old self got into boardgames way back in 1982 (although I didn't know it at the time) it is a king and I wouldn't be surprised to see it win this whole competition. Nexus Op's is great if you don't have the time for a REAL sci-fi game, certainly better the Race for the Galaxy, but comparable to TI3... forget it.

Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition (with the expansion preferably).

Fuc-ken-oath!
Some of you quickplay cockbags need a good smack in the mouth. Too much fucking dominion in your diet has ruined you.

More
24 Feb 2009 17:38 #22142 by Not Sure
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Some of you quickplay cockbags need a good smack in the mouth. Too much fucking dominion in your diet has ruined you.

But I'm so regular after eating all those cards. Tastes better than Oat Bran, too.

Truly, efficiency in all things is of paramount importance.

More
24 Feb 2009 17:44 - 24 Feb 2009 17:44 #22144 by Deleted User 1

BULLSHIT! It is the "Long Play No Lifers" that need a kick in the ass!!!

But at least you have seen the light and have advertised for a bride on BGG!

Good luck!
Last edit: 24 Feb 2009 17:44 by Deleted User 1.

More
24 Feb 2009 18:25 #22149 by OldHippy
the*mad*gamer wrote:
"Long Play No Lifers"
[/quote]

No Life eh?

Coming from "the mad gamer" who has a very large number of internet posts and is aware of the "culture" on at least two gaming webpages I hope you don't mind if I consider your opinion of what constitutes a "life" rather pointless.

Fast games are like fast food, satisfying at the time but quickly forgotten.

More
24 Feb 2009 18:31 #22151 by Michael Barnes
Depends on the game. I've played 30 minute games of INTRIGE that almost ended in knife fights and they were more memorable than the last time I played TI3.

More
24 Feb 2009 19:01 #22153 by OldHippy
Michael Barnes wrote:

Depends on the game. I've played 30 minute games of INTRIGE that almost ended in knife fights and they were more memorable than the last time I played TI3.

Our last game of TI3 STARTED with a knife fight. We start all our games that way (except Ticket to Ride where we all go down on one another first!).

Seriously though I do love short games as well but I'm being dramatic to prove a point. The real geekiness of the hobby comes from these long games with drama and action and a completely realized world. But I'll play Cosmic Enoucter and find it memorable, or Neuroshima Hex over lunch hour and get pretty heated about things. They are fun games, and short games can be great BUT it is imoprtant to remember that the people who are willing to play these long games are pretty much only the hobby gamers, not casual gamers, casual gamers can handle a half hour game but TI3 is saved for the right group of players and the right moment, it's waited for. It's a different beast altogether. In some ways it was unfair from the beggining to compare these two games as they scratch different itches (time does count as an itch).

I'll play a short game of almost anything, but a big epic game like TI3 needs to be awesome just to get me to the table. I would never play a six hour game of Nexus Ops, it's just not deep enough.

Honestly though it's the dex games that get me the most excited. I play Carrom or Crokinole all the time and when I miss a vital shot or my brother fucks me over with a nice play I scream with rage and kick invisible men all around me with a fury that would make all of China envious.

TI3 actually makes me quite studious, and occasioally outrage will pour from my being but that is pretty rare (we have others in our group for that!).

More
24 Feb 2009 19:47 #22160 by Deleted User 1

No Life eh?

Coming from "the mad gamer" who has a very large number of internet posts and is aware of the "culture" on at least two gaming webpages I hope you don't mind if I consider your opinion of what constitutes a "life" rather pointless.

Fast games are like fast food, satisfying at the time but quickly forgotten.

Yes its true a TI3 player has no life. As far as internet posts, I treat an internet post like a conversation and don't subscribe to the Sam Healy policy of taking two hours per post.

Yes, I am aware of the culture and being a humanitarian I am doing my best to change the culture and the sad shape it is in. Of course, reading your posts it seems you have sunk into the abyss of the culture itself and I feel an obligation to pull you out and give you some perspective.

Your fast food cliche is typical of the shallow thinking that contaminates most gaming websites. It sounds good so it must be true.

For the Euro, yes it is correct but for the under 90 min AT game with theme it is not.

My goal is to educate you and Skeletor and steer you away from the "nancy Boy" games like TI3 and towards better games and in the end the gaming culture will be the better for it.

In the meantime if you want to be a tastemaker, comb your hair, take off the t-shirt, get yourself a cartoon avatar!

More
24 Feb 2009 20:12 #22163 by OldHippy
the*mad*gamer wrote:

Yes, I am aware of the culture and being a humanitarian I am doing my best to change the culture and the sad shape it is in. Of course, reading your posts it seems you have sunk into the abyss of the culture itself and I feel an obligation to pull you out and give you some perspective.

Your fast food cliche is typical of the shallow thinking that contaminates most gaming websites. It sounds good so it must be true.

For the Euro, yes it is correct but for the under 90 min AT game with theme it is not.

My goal is to educate you and Skeletor and steer you away from the "nancy Boy" games like TI3 and towards better games and in the end the gaming culture will be the better for it.

In the meantime if you want to be a tastemaker, comb your hair, take off the t-shirt, get yourself a cartoon avatar!

I'm not so sure I want to be a tastmaker. Actually I'm pretty sure I don't.

Wow you really are a Humanitarian. I'll send you a list and you tell me what games I should play it really is too kind of you to take me under your wing like this. Who knew I was doing it all wrong all these years AND ruining the hobby as well. Oh the shame!!!

I may play these games wrong the first time too so post your address and I'll send you the money for a plane ticket. You can fly out here and teach me how to play too.... if you really are the Humanitarian you claim to be and care for my well being.

I'll get an avatar but it's not high on my priority list, it'll just be the same damn thing I got up on BGG, who needs it?

Any other tips on how to be a good person??

My vote still goes to TI3, despite these awesome arguements.

But I'm not selling my Nexus Ops yet, it rocks too!

More
25 Feb 2009 03:20 #22176 by Protoss
Vote: Twilight Imperium 3. The game I would love to play but that we can't find the time to play. Perhaps easier in the coming years when my daughter is getting a littl bit older. Both times we played it we had loads of fun. First time the game took too long in order to get together some fleets for some good fighting. And then the guy who wasn't fighting suddenly won. What? But second time we knew how it worked. More concentration on the VPs and not only on building fleets for fighting. The game lasted again far too long. But fun anyway. It didn't seem like we would ever get it on the table again though so I traded it. And now I'm thinking of buying it again. We never got to try it with the expansion, which probably would have made it better. And since our group loves the fighting part, the objectives from the expansion would have been great for us. Well, we'll see how it goes.

To compare, Nexus Ops is fun and short but not very deep.

More
25 Feb 2009 08:49 #22184 by Ken B.
Sorry Steve...if you think TI3 players have no life, I'm going to have to tell you you're full of shit.

TI3 is an event. Something we plan a month in advance. Something we really look forward to. And for six hours, we wheel, we deal, we blow shit up, we tell stories. A game of TI3 is NEVER something to forget.

Now Nexus Ops...I'm trying to remember even the smallest details from the last time we played. I *think* I pulled a "death from above" with a big ass dragon on one of my opponent's home bases, but that's all I got. I don't even remember who won. Probably my friend Johnny, who wins more often than he should at most of the games we play.

More
25 Feb 2009 09:44 #22188 by ChristopherMD
Nexus Ops
Jason Lutes
the*mad*gamer
Juniper
Michael Barnes
Beisaic
Space Ghost
metalface13
quozl
Count Orlok
Notahandle
Death and Taxis
The Dukester

Twilight Imperium 3
Ska_baron
Shellhead
Ken B.
MattDP
Southernman
Sydo
LordVonTush
timeLESS
Almalik
Octavian
Tamburlaine
kookoobah
Aarontu
Mr Skeletor
mrmarcus
Partizan
mads b.
blarknob
JonJacob
Protoss

When newcomer Nexus Ops challenged Twilight Imperium to a death-match, many said it should not be allowed. That surely it was unfair as this was like putting a lightweight in the ring with a heavyweight. Yet this has been the most successful Trashdome yet in number of replies, number of votes, and amount of discussion. The crowd loves an underdog, but even more they love watching one game beat the life out of another. Just don't count Nexus Ops out yet because I bet its put up a better fight than many here expected it to. And we're not even finished.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.207 seconds