October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Talisman vs Prophecy

More
02 Mar 2009 09:30 - 02 Mar 2009 09:31 #22597 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is the fourth in a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. The winning game may return for future matches, the loser will be dead. I will reserve my vote for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!
Last edit: 02 Mar 2009 09:31 by ChristopherMD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2009 09:37 #22598 by Matt Thrower
I have never played Prophecy. However, I've played Talisman enough to make this an easy vote in favour of Prophecy.

Prophecy is a game I'd like to try. But I'm not convinced of it's merits enough to bite and buy it. Although in fairness, I'm not convinced of the merits of any adventure/RPG board games on the market to bite on any of them. But, interestingly enough, thats my topic for next weeks' column - either that or a review of Age of Conan.

More
02 Mar 2009 10:39 - 02 Mar 2009 10:40 #22601 by Aarontu
Vote: Talisman.

Talisman is a true AT Classic. It has as much drama, tension, excitement, and times where you get hosed and everybody laughs at the situation for years to come as you could ever hope to find in a board game.

Some people think the game is "dated.". Well, so is Frank Herbert's Dune, but that doesn't make it any less awesome. (What does 'dated' mean anyway, it doesn't have role selection, action points, resource management, or other boardgaming buzzwords in it?)
Last edit: 02 Mar 2009 10:40 by Aarontu.

More
02 Mar 2009 10:40 #22602 by metalface13
It's got role selection. You pick a character!

More
02 Mar 2009 11:11 #22605 by Michael Barnes
TALISMAN by a mile. PROPHECY is a great game on its own, and yes, it's obviously a TALISMAN descendant but it lacks the goofy charm and ridiculousness that make TALISMAN the timeless classic that it is. PROPHECY adds mechanics that make it more "modern", sure, but the original TALISMAN didn't need mechanics at all, really, to be great.

Anybody that says TALISMAN is "dated" probably also spends a lot of time on the internet checking to see what other people think about games to make sure that their opinion is validated and verified by the internet board gaming cognoscenti. Either that or they've become so jaded and spoiled by modern game mechanics that they can't enjoy the simple fun of rolling a die, moving around, having a bunch of really bad shit happen to you, and eventually squeaking your way to the top and making all your friends die.

I do like that PROPHECY has that gather up the weapons for the end of the world thing a lot, but it's not _classic_ like the Crown of Command is.

And PROPHECY doesn't have scads of expansions that increase both goofy charm and ridiculousness.

Or the Horrible Black Void, which is the single greatest game component of all time.

More
02 Mar 2009 11:54 #22610 by Matt Thrower
Michael Barnes wrote:

TALISMAN by a mile. PROPHECY is a great game on its own, and yes, it's obviously a TALISMAN descendant but it lacks the goofy charm and ridiculousness that make TALISMAN the timeless classic that it is. PROPHECY adds mechanics that make it more "modern", sure, but the original TALISMAN didn't need mechanics at all, really, to be great.

The only problem with Talisman (but it's a pretty big one) is that it runs for far, far longer than it can support my interest. If it played in 60-90 minutes it'd be awesome. This is why Dungeonquest remains my favourite adventure game, and indeed about the only one I actually want to play. Is it goofy? Sure! Does it contain meaningful decisions? No! But who cares when it's all wrapped up in less than an hour. Why spend 3-4 hours playing Talisman when you can play DQ for much the same effect?

More
02 Mar 2009 11:59 #22611 by sydo
MattDP wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

The only problem with Talisman (but it's a pretty big one) is that it runs for far, far longer than it can support my interest. If it played in 60-90 minutes it'd be awesome. This is why Dungeonquest remains my favourite adventure game, and indeed about the only one I actually want to play. Is it goofy? Sure! Does it contain meaningful decisions? No! But who cares when it's all wrapped up in less than an hour. Why spend 3-4 hours playing Talisman when you can play DQ for much the same effect?

Prophecy has the same length but no fun. I hate that game.

Talisman

More
02 Mar 2009 12:28 #22613 by moofrank
Prophecy.

It is almost the same game, but:
A: The skill system with a lot of unique cards is both simple and much more interesting than Talisman's pay XP to just add a strength or mana. Smacks of Euroness, that does.

B: The 4 Leaf Clover.

C: More face up cards. This is also what makes me like Prophecy more than Runebound. In every fantasy thing ever, you are supposed to hear rumors and whisperings of the evil beast. You steel your confidence, consider your condition, and THEN it bites your face off.

Who ever heard of a dragon as a wandering monster?

More
02 Mar 2009 12:30 #22614 by Ken B.
moofrank wrote:

Who ever heard of a dragon as a wandering monster?

Dennis Quaid?

More
02 Mar 2009 13:05 #22617 by Michael Barnes
If you gave Frank Branham a choice between a $100 gift card to Sharper Image and playing PROPHECY, he'd play the game.

He makes a good point about the Four-Leaf Clover...that and the Mummy's Curse give the game a lot of personalty. They are probably the most powerful items in the game.

The skill system is very cool and it does add a layer of detail that TALISMAN doesn't have beyond the character abilties. But I almost think that it, along with the other mechanical elements, make the game almost too much game for what it is. When I play that kind of game, I want it it to be kind of dumb and random. PROPHECY gives you a lot more choices, and that's good on its own...but the difference is kind of like wanting to watch KRULL and sitting down for LORD OF THE RINGS instead.

In 20 years and after some expansions, maybe PROPHECY will be ready to contend.

More
02 Mar 2009 13:18 #22619 by ubarose
VOTE: Talisman

But I almost think that it, along with the other mechanical elements, make the game almost too much game for what it is.

I agree with Michael. Also, the multiple movement options = long downtime as people try to figure out all the possible places that they can land vs the cost of that movement. The skills are cool, but it makes Prophesy a shopping game rather than a fight monster game, and adds more down time as people have to check out all the possible skills they can purchase, and all the items they can purchase while trying to figure out how much movement to those locations will costs. I'm always like, I'm going for a smoke, let me know when you finally figure out what the hell your doing.

More
02 Mar 2009 13:25 #22621 by TheDukester
Return of the Heroes.

More
02 Mar 2009 13:25 #22622 by southernman
Hold all the rotten fruit !

No vote .... I haven't played either. [ducks and sprints like fuck]

More
02 Mar 2009 13:39 #22624 by KingPut
Vote: Talisman

Talisman has more flavor and heart. I like how the Talisman map progresses to the middle and inner realm and the two paths to get the crown of command. I like not having to run back in forth to go shopping. I like the interaction in Talisman. I agree with Matt about the game length of Talisman, Prophecy and Runebound. I enjoy the first 2 hours than I just want the game to finish. So I've reduced the experience you need from 7 to 5 in Talisman and I play that I need one less experience in Runebound to power up.

More
02 Mar 2009 14:16 #22627 by Octavian
I've never played Talisman, but I have played Prophecy. I'll be keeping the reasons for the anti-vote pleasantly repressed. I'm sure Branham can explain.

Vote Talisman.

-MMM

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds