October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Talisman vs Prophecy

More
05 Mar 2009 15:30 #23129 by metalface13
Ska_baron wrote:

JonJacob wrote:

If I had to choose (And I don't like that at all) it would be Talisman... too many memories.

Huh. Lots of nostalgia this time around. I was going to criticize this, but then realized that if you put Hero Quest against anything recent I'd have a helluva hard time voting against good ol' HQ.

I think it is interesting seeing how people vote for the different games in Trashdome and how that determines the winner.

In Descent vs. Doom it was all about which game was easier to get into, easier to play, etc.

In Twilight Imperium vs. Nexus Ops it was about what was worth more your time. And how game length affected people's choices.

Now it Talisman vs. Prophecy it's about nostalgia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2009 19:05 #23149 by Mr MOTO
metalface13 wrote:

Now it Talisman vs. Prophecy it's about nostalgia.

Well I still think Talisman is the better game even sans the nostalgia aspect. I'd go through specifics of where my character was basically penniless and between two monsters that he couldn't defeat for long time as an example of where move and roll isn't always so bad.

Talisman still has more of an epic feel to it, it has a LOT more variety in all the expansions (especially the 2nd edition - with the fourth edition on it's way to filling out more) and there is much more difference between characters than Prophecy. Yeah it can take a long time especially with players that just won't make the move to go for the prize, but there is just something missing for me with Prophecy (sans one artifact that I'm awaiting Z-man to respond to my email about - "Hello Z-Man where are you?") at this time.

Prophecy really needs the equivalent of the adventure and expansion upgrades as well as the bigger box expansions IMO. They'd be cheap to produce (in comparison) and would give people more of what they want in the game, variety.

More
06 Mar 2009 16:27 #23214 by Bullwinkle
This one is tough. I think Prophecy is the better game in almost every aspect. But Talisman has both historical significance and (for me) nostalgia value.

In the end, I'd say that if I'm looking for pure chaotic, random fun, I'd play Talisman. If I want a more serious, better structured adventure, forget Prophecy, I'd rather play Runebound. So Prophecy is stuck in the middle, with very little ground where it's preferred.

So I vote for Talisman.

More
06 Mar 2009 16:53 #23218 by ChristopherMD
Prophecy = 7
MattDP
moofrank
Mr Skeletor
Stephen Avery
metalface13
Columbob
Ska_baron

Talisman = 15
Aarontu
Michael Barnes
Sydo
ubarose
KingPut
Octavian
Death and Taxis
ozjesting
Mr MOTO
Space Ghost
mrmarcus
RKFade
JoelCFC25
JonJacob
Bullwinkle

I think Prophecy must have drank some irradiated water or something because the hits it managed to get in were pretty weak. Not as weak as the nostalgia bets, but weak nonetheless. Perhaps if it could have tag-teamed with some expansions it would have done better, but then again Talisman is 4th generation and thus stronger, faster, better. Okay maybe not faster. Anyway the winner here is clearly Talisman.

More
06 Mar 2009 20:00 #23235 by BeneathTheEarth
Talisman. Never played the other one.

More
09 Mar 2009 12:08 #23335 by moofrank
You are all dead to me.

More
09 Mar 2009 14:36 #23349 by Michael Barnes
Don't worry Frank, the next couple of Trashdomes are going to be:

CATS VERSUS SURF ROCK
CREAMED PULL CANDY VERSUS TECH GADGETS
SKELETONS VERSUS WEIRD IMPORTED BOARD GAMES

I think you'll do a little better in those contests.

More
09 Mar 2009 17:20 #23359 by moofrank
Nope. Not happy.

I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one that likes Creamed Pull Candy. Most people just respond with an "Oh dear god what did I just do?" kind of expression.

So maybe we should have Creamed Pull Candy versus Budweiser with Clamato.

More
09 Mar 2009 17:55 #23364 by Shellhead
Creamed Pull Candy sounds like something that Michael Jackson would offer to kids.

More
09 Mar 2009 19:16 #23377 by Bullwinkle
Creamed pull candy, creamed hamburger...is there anything that can't be creamed?

(I didn't say shouldn't.)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds