October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Titan vs Heroscape

More
06 Apr 2009 13:56 #25290 by Michael Barnes
TITAN is great and all, but there's a whole generation of gamers that are going to be coming up in the next couple of years that are going to cite HEROSCAPE as the game that got them into the hobby.

This is really an apples and oranges thing though...the games are really totally different things. TITAN is the better game, but HEROSCAPE is the more accessible one.

I'll vote TITAN based on the game alone and its historical significance. But with reservations.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2009 14:34 #25296 by ChristopherMD
generalpf wrote:

Own and played both, prefer Heroscape with my son and Titan with my wife (and other adults).

Two games enter. One game leaves.

More
06 Apr 2009 15:12 #25305 by Michael Barnes
Two games enter. One game leaves.

More
06 Apr 2009 15:53 #25308 by generalpf
Fine, given that my son will grow old enough to play Titan and that my wife is not Benjamin Button, I choose Titan.

More
06 Apr 2009 15:56 #25309 by hancock.tom
I don't know if anyone is keeping track, but this will probably go down as one of the most lopsided beatdowns in Trashdome history. Short of a jobber (War of the ring vs. Caylus!) it is hard to imagine another beatdown like this.

More
06 Apr 2009 15:59 #25310 by generalpf
hancock.tom wrote:

I don't know if anyone is keeping track, but this will probably go down as one of the most lopsided beatdowns in Trashdome history. Short of a jobber (War of the ring vs. Caylus!) it is hard to imagine another beatdown like this.

I'm too lazy to find the thread, so tell me: how badly did Caylus beat War of the Ring?

More
06 Apr 2009 15:59 #25311 by Count Orlok
hancock.tom wrote:

That's what happens when you pit an awesome game versus a terrible one! Titan forever!

Two games enter, one game doesn't have to break a sweat before leaving.

More
06 Apr 2009 16:05 #25315 by hancock.tom
generalpf wrote:

hancock.tom wrote:

I'm too lazy to find the thread, so tell me: how badly did Caylus beat War of the Ring?

That was a joke hypothetical, it never happened. What I'm saying is that short of setting it up that way (by pitting a hated piece of shit vs. a widely beloved AT game) it would be impossible to see a beatdown like what we have here.

Honestly Heroscape is a good game, I like it, and it is great for younger players, I almost feel bad it is feeling the full wrath of Titan's awesomeness.

More
06 Apr 2009 16:32 - 06 Apr 2009 16:34 #25319 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:Heroscape
hancock.tom wrote:
"BUT Titan also has nearly endless house ruling possibilities, just take a look at the dozens of variants available on colossus or the many variant masterboards posted around the internet. PLUS you can't forget Cosmic Titan, where each player gets a power ala cosmic encounter."
If the game's so perfect why would it need extra rules?!?!?!!! I see a chink in the armour: the Heroscape votes will start flooding in now!!
(Come on Stephen "Plastics Whore" Avery, put all those F:AT shill accounts to good use...)

Re: Cosmic Titan. I really wish you hadn't put that obscene concept in my head. (Shudder.)
Last edit: 06 Apr 2009 16:34 by Notahandle.

More
06 Apr 2009 16:33 #25320 by Juniper
Wow. You guys really like Titian.

EDIT: nevermind.

More
06 Apr 2009 16:41 #25321 by quozl
Titan had a great idea (recruit monsters and then fight it out on little tactical maps!) but then runied it with the game taking forever to travel all those little paths on that ugly board.

Heroscape seems like a simple game without much depth with just a Master Set but once you spend hundreds of dollars to be able to make some great armies, the tactical depth comes out with its interactions of special powers.

Heroscape wins, no contest with me.

More
06 Apr 2009 17:28 - 06 Apr 2009 17:29 #25324 by NeonPeon
Heroscape is just a bunch of pretty toys, it's unbalanced, lacks depth?? I thought I was on Fortress Ameritrash! C'mon!

If I were asked to describe the Ameritrashiest game of my wildest fantasies - the game that defines Ameritrash, even if it's not necessarily the deepest, most realistic or most strategic - here's how I'd reply.

This game has got tons of awesome-looking, pre-painted minis....giant robots who fight groups of samurai, hordes of zombies and vikings and fucking dinosaurs, not to mention superheroes (real superheroes like Iron Man and the Hulk)....and ninjas, each with their own special powers but nothing too complex because the game is supposed to be fun, who have all warped in from other dimensions for an epic battle of world dominance. There'd be a configurable board with different terrain and custom battle dice with skulls on them...It would be fun for both kids and adults, it would not be taken too seriously, and it would cause great concern among BGG'ers regarding various issues.

Someone in 1978, probably coked-up given the times, might have described a bunch of silhouttes of generic and/or downright lame creatures like unicorns, griffons, and, (wait for it...) LIONS on monochrome cardboard counters, who march across a mathematically interesting but unintuitive, bizarrely-colored and nonsensical strategic map. The game should be taxing on your memory, consist of about 900 tactical battles, last about 8 hours and require charts that look like they're straight from a computer science textbook. Online strategy guides would offer helpful tips such as "you should never split 4-3" leaving you to wonder whether you're commanding armies of monsters or playing a ridiculously complex bowling sim.

Heroscape.

(I'm just jealous that I've never played Titan. :( )
Last edit: 06 Apr 2009 17:29 by NeonPeon.

More
06 Apr 2009 17:58 - 06 Apr 2009 18:00 #25325 by Juniper
I've never played TITAN, but NeonPeon presuaded me.

Until they make MARVEL SUPER HEROES TITAN, I'm voting for HEROSCAPE.

(EDIT: but if there ever were a MARVEL version of TITAN, I'd buy it in an instant)
Last edit: 06 Apr 2009 18:00 by Juniper.

More
06 Apr 2009 17:59 #25326 by hancock.tom
NeonPeon wrote:

(I'm just jealous that I've never played Titan. :( )

We will forgive you since you made a really great defense of heroscape.

More
06 Apr 2009 18:14 - 06 Apr 2009 18:16 #25327 by Aarontu
Titan may be a great strategic and tactical fantasy wargame (I've never played it, but I'd like to), but it doesn't have pre-painted minis of robots, ninjas, dragons, army men, and Matrix/Men in Black-esqe dudes all fighting each other over 3D terrain in a glorious dice-fest. Plus Heroscape lets me put my old W40k minis to use.

Besides, Heroscape seems to be the underdog (at the moment).

Vote: Heroscape
Last edit: 06 Apr 2009 18:16 by Aarontu.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.966 seconds