October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2694 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Titan vs Heroscape

More
06 Apr 2009 18:33 #25328 by Shellhead
Recent posts have made some great points about Heroscape, but it just barely counts as a game in my mind. Great toy factor, but not much game there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2009 18:42 #25330 by mjl1783
Seriously, is this actually intended to be a contest? If these two games were people, one of them would have underwear pretty far up his ass crack right now, and it wouldn't be Titan.

But, but, Titan takes 5 hours to play!

As opposed to the 5 hours it takes to set up Heroscape?

But Titan is complicated!

A) No it isn't.
B) So?
C) Those thousands of fucking cards you have to read in order to build a decent team are easier to slog through than Titan's rulebook?

But pre-painted minis!

If that's what really matters, Tannhauser would kick the ass of every WWII-themed game in existence.

Vote: Titan

More
06 Apr 2009 18:43 #25331 by Hatchling
The only thing I hate about Titan is that when I think about it, I feel suffocated by the various things cluttering my life and standing in the way of me playing it. On the other hand, Titan is stands there, waiting, as a reward I know is there.

In a game of Titan, luck and control serve each other like wind and sail. There is nothing more satisfying than hunting down a stack, or being hunted when your stack is much more powerful than it appeared to be.

The stakes are always higher in a game of Titan.

VOTE: Titan

More
06 Apr 2009 19:17 #25335 by Count Orlok
Let me just add another thought. There is nothing in Heroscape that inspires fear like the words "Serpent" or "Colossus".

More
06 Apr 2009 21:16 #25339 by kookoobah
Count Orlok wrote:

Let me just add another thought. There is nothing in Heroscape that inspires fear like the words "Serpent" or "Colossus".

Hmm. I really wanted to like Titan.

You are correct. All of us wanted to get down a Serpent or Colossus so that we could start smacking down all sorts of stacks with massive dice rolls. After around 10 games of Titan though, we never saw a single Serpent or Colossus. All games were either done before then or quit in frustration when less patient players were playing. Spoiled by quick and heavy action from the get go by lot of today's AT offerings.

More
06 Apr 2009 21:25 #25341 by Bullwinkle

More
06 Apr 2009 23:49 #25346 by Stormcow
HEROSCAPE

Titan seems like an okay game on paper, but I'd rather play Heroscape any day. I like skirmish level miniatures games. Believe it or not, Heroscape is a good representative of that genre.

More
07 Apr 2009 04:10 #25349 by Protoss
Vote: Heroscape

Titan has the most unintuitive, game-y map I have seen in a game. Awful. The tactical battle maps are a nice touch though.

Heroscape might take a while to set up if you try to recreate some map from a scenario. But there is no need to. Just throw out a map as fast as possible, choose what to play with and then go to war immediately! No travelling around and building up but straight out carnage! And you can choose if you want to play with a few stronger troops or plenty of small guys. Totally different tactics in team selection. Might be that the game is simple but it starts immediately and is quick and then you can have another go with different teams. Or play same way as we do Battlelore. Switch sides and see who does better in total.

More
07 Apr 2009 04:34 #25351 by Matt Thrower
We already did the Titian joke.

More
07 Apr 2009 09:30 #25357 by Columbob
I played Heroscape once, on a huge battlefield, with a collection of hundreds of figurines to choose from. Coming from a Warhammery background, that was awesome.

It's a light, fun and pretty fast game (especially if someone else spends hours building such a lavish battlefield and picks up afterwards). It's also available in large mass market stores like Toys 'R Us.

Now for the negatives: older expansion packs are unavailable or hard to find, and because they're not all bilingual (French/English), you can't get them from Toys 'R Us stores in Québec.

If kids were to see either game in a store, I know which one they'd pick 99 % of the time. It's just as fun for adults, and since I can't compare with Titan, having never played it, well the choice is easy. Sucks for Titan.

Vote: Heroscape.

More
07 Apr 2009 09:35 #25358 by Juniper
MattDP wrote:

We already did the Titian joke.

Ah, shame on me. I forgot about that one.

More
07 Apr 2009 10:00 #25361 by Deleted User 1
Heroscape certainly has its good points. I like the combat dice and I have used the system to create many original scenarios including one for Doctor Who.

I think it really takes work to design a great game of Heroscape, frankly the scenarios out of the box are pretty uninspiring.

Setup is a problem for Heroscape and the loads of expansions seem to continually add new rules to the game which in the end is what destroyed Heroclicks.

My vote goes for TITAN

More
07 Apr 2009 10:19 #25362 by billyz
Titan with its hands tied nehind its back.

More
07 Apr 2009 10:32 #25364 by Notahandle
Count Orlok wrote:
"Let me just add another thought. There is nothing in Heroscape that inspires fear like the words "Serpent" or "Colossus"."
Bollocks. Try "table" and "-tosser".

Columbob wrote:
"I played Heroscape once, on a huge battlefield, with a collection of hundreds of figurines to choose from. Coming from a Warhammery background, that was awesome."
Absolutely! That's why I bought several castle and forest/road sets.

More
07 Apr 2009 11:40 #25369 by MattFantastic
I'm feeling too lazy to write why, but Heroscape hands down.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds