October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Titan vs Heroscape

More
07 Apr 2009 12:53 #25372 by dysjunct
We should have an "undercard match" between Pillars of the Earth and Caylus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2009 13:33 #25379 by Mr MOTO
Heroscape is great for the components (to use for other games) but there is so little game there.

My vote: TITAN

More
07 Apr 2009 14:31 #25387 by Shellhead
Mr MOTO, that's a great point. In fact, you could use HeroScape components to make a better map for Titan.

More
07 Apr 2009 16:29 #25407 by generalpf
Shellhead wrote:

Mr MOTO, that's a great point. In fact, you could use HeroScape components to make a better map for Titan.

Are there 11 different types of Heroscape tiles? I have light green, dark green, white, brown and charcoal.

More
07 Apr 2009 19:02 #25430 by Hex Sinister
I really dislike having to memorize all the stacks in Titan. Having 11 stacks of counters I have to keep track of and fumbling around looking to see what monsters are where just sucks. Not only that but I have to memorize what my opponents stacks consist of. This might not be a problem for the average player but for me this is just torture. This aspect kills me. The game bogs with utter slowness at times and this is an absolutely terrible game for those who might suffer from even a slight case of AP.

Colossus fixes a lot of these problems and I do enjoy playing that against the (stupid) AI. I think it works fantastic in that format (computer game) but I won't whip out the cardboard any time soon. I love the idea of Titan - recruiting monsters and having huge tactical duke-outs is awesome. I would love to see that re-implimented in another game that has a different approach to things. To me, Titan was okay once upon a time but is just an artifact now.

Sure, HeroScape might not have much depth but I think it fills a niche. Not every game needs to be as complicated as Star Fleet Battles to be enjoyable. As an entry level miniatures game that plays fast and looks great it totally rules. There is a good deal of variety in the terrain and the units that you can field an army with can satisfy nearly every mood you might be in. Every time I've introduced Scape to someone they had a great time filled with laughs, not crunch-browed serious crap. What it lacks in detail it makes up for in variety and fun.

My vote is for HEROSCAPE

More
07 Apr 2009 19:11 #25432 by hancock.tom
Hex Sinister wrote:

Not every game needs to be as complicated as Star Fleet Battles to be enjoyable.

No but it would certainly help things. Star Fleet Battles kicks ass.

More
07 Apr 2009 23:17 #25440 by Mr MOTO
generalpf wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Are there 11 different types of Heroscape tiles? I have light green, dark green, white, brown and charcoal.

There are at least 12 types of Heroscape tiles. So... Yes. :)

More
08 Apr 2009 09:30 #25444 by ChristopherMD
The bets thus far.

Heroscape
Notahandle
kookoobah
quozl
NeonPeon
Juniper
Aarontu
Gaebril
Protoss
Columbob
MattLoter
Hex Sinister

Titan
jeb
Space Ghost
Rliyen
JoelCFC25
MattDP
sydo
hancock.tom
Count Orlok
Bulwyf
Shellhead
Michael Barnes
generalpf
mjl1783
Hatchling
Bullwinkle
the*mad*gamer
billyz
Mr MOTO

More
08 Apr 2009 10:00 #25445 by NeonPeon
Well, at least it's not a total slaughter. It's more like an Obama-McCain ass-whoopin'.

More
More
10 Apr 2009 10:22 #25716 by Ska_baron
Notahandle wrote:

Reasons to vote Heroscape (and be cheerful).

Yeah... my interest and excitement about this game has been growing and then I saw this list!

Gotta vote Heroscape even though I've played neither. Hope to at Trashfest!

More
10 Apr 2009 15:12 #25736 by ChristopherMD
Heroscape = 12
Notahandle
kookoobah
quozl
NeonPeon
Juniper
Aarontu
Gaebril
Protoss
Columbob
MattLoter
Hex Sinister
Ska_baron

Titan = 18
jeb
Space Ghost
Rliyen
JoelCFC25
MattDP
sydo
hancock.tom
Count Orlok
Bulwyf
Shellhead
Michael Barnes
generalpf
mjl1783
Hatchling
Bullwinkle
the*mad*gamer
billyz
Mr MOTO

They did the mash. They did the monster mash. Except one of them utilized strategy better and mashed the other into shards of plastic that will be uncermoniously swept up after the crowd leaves. While Titan is heading back to the valley of games until its called forth once again to show who's boss.

More
13 Apr 2009 16:14 #25807 by Notahandle
Eugene wrote:
"One of the defining icons of Ameritrash died today and no longer can they cite plastic (AKA 'chrome') as a concept that makes their games distinctive. In a rabid frenzy of backstabbing, they prove to be just as vulnerable to that of which they accuse us: chasing after the latest fad game. A sad day for Ameritrash, but a glorious day for Euros as the supreme perfection of the cube can no longer be denied."
I'm surprised Eugene has omitted the classic 'you need to play the game more in order to understand how good it is'!

More
13 Apr 2009 18:11 #25833 by DeletedUser
I've arrived at this party way too late, not that my vote would have made much difference to the end result. But just to make it official... 13 votes for Heroscape. And if Mr Bistro had been walking past, it would have been 14. So not exactly the slaughter that early pundits were predicting.

Still, I'm gutted and just a little teary at this result. It won't be easily forgotten or forgiven.

More
16 Apr 2009 16:40 #26130 by Hex Sinister

Mr. Cusack wanted to cast a vote for his fave and ask: Why do these Trashdomes have to have a cut-off date anyway?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds