October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Last Night On Earth vs A Touch Of Evil

More
14 Apr 2009 00:54 #25859 by kookoobah
Michael Barnes wrote:

Jeez, I feel like the one guy who liked HUDSON HAWK in here!

I liked Hudson Hawk too, but I'm going to go with LNoE on this one. In fact, if you're shipping to the Philippines, I might take you up on that. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2009 08:40 #25869 by mrmarcus
Jeez, this is shaping up to be a masasacre.

I can only continue the dogpile. A Touch of Evil has been played once and wasn't received well at all. Last Night on Earth still gets play.

Vote: Last Night on Earth.

More
14 Apr 2009 09:12 #25873 by Sagrilarus
Shaping up to be a massacre, but the endorsements of Last Night on Earth aren't exactly stellar. It seems to be winning by being the Lesser of Two Evils.

Last Night on Earth is exceptionally light, and the storyline is generally well beyond the control of any of the players. If you're ok with that, it's a solid enough game. There isn't going to be any tournament play, that's for sure.

I think the game is good for three or four plays, then pass it on to someone new.

Sag.

More
14 Apr 2009 10:45 #25881 by Columbob
I like LNoE better than AToE, so add yet another vote for

LAST NIGHT ON EARTH: THE ZOMBIE GAME

More
14 Apr 2009 11:22 #25884 by dragonstout
Sagrilarus wrote:

Shaping up to be a massacre, but the endorsements of Last Night on Earth aren't exactly stellar. It seems to be winning by being the Lesser of Two Evils.

Last Night on Earth is exceptionally light, and the storyline is generally well beyond the control of any of the players. If you're ok with that, it's a solid enough game. There isn't going to be any tournament play, that's for sure.

I think the game is good for three or four plays, then pass it on to someone new.

Sag.

The storyline's beyond the control of the players in most adventure games, too, but that doesn't stop them from weaving fun, memorable stories. Sometimes it sounds like people were expecting a tactical Descent-style game from LNOE, when I see it mostly as an adventure game like Talisman or Arkham Horror, but somehow with a more solid story.

More
14 Apr 2009 11:26 #25886 by metalface13
Well I gotta say it is pretty devious pitting Flying Frog Productions' and Jason Hill's only two games against each other.

It's a rare enough Trashdom where I've played both games, yet alone OWN both. So this one is kind of tough for me.

A Touch of Evil is a solid game for me. Nothing special our outstanding. Most of its game play are borrowed from other games such as Talisman and Arkham Horror. But as I mentioned earlier, it falls more into the category of a Talisman clone than Arkham Horror-lite. It's a little more thematic for me than playing Talisman or Prophecy due to the big bad villain. I like how each villain has its own minions - you are never left with any "Huh? Why are a bunch of werewolves fighting for a Spectral Horseman?" "Or crows doing the bidding of a vampire?" type moments. The town elders mechanic is a nice addition to this type of game, too. I have probably played 4 or 5 times now, but haven't played the advanced rules yet. I like how you can play co-op, on teams, or every man for himself. My only problem with the game play is it can drag on longer than it should. In the games I've played with 4-5 players the shadow track did not move fast enough and investigation tokens were hard to come by, so we all sat around with full knowledge of the elders, tooled up to fight the villain but unable to purchase a lair card. I think this can be rectified by moving the shadow track every turn, no matter what. And moving it extra whenever a card says to. My other problem with the game is the art. The board looks fantastic, the minis are great, but everything else is done in the same style of Last Night on Earth. It doesn't mesh well, and yes the vampire is the goofiest looking vamp ever.

Last Night on Earth is another solid game that I think has the slight edge over AToE. For starters the photo art works for LNoE. Yes it is goofy and B-movie looking, but so are a lot of zombie movies. The great zombies aren't, but no need to go into that discussion again (and again and again). LNoE is also quicker and more accessible. The rules are more simple: Roll a die, move or maybe pick up a card, maybe fight a zombie. That's it. Combat is simple, too and I think having to rolling higher than the zombie and roll doubles to kill it represent how difficult it would be to bash in a zombies brain while it is trying to eat you. The first scenario is rather blah, but the rest are pretty good. And with modular boards no game will turn out exactly the same.

So my vote goes to Last Night on Earth for being faster, simpler and great for playing with non-gamers. If AToE had gone up against something else, it probably would've gotten my vote.

More
14 Apr 2009 12:33 #25893 by generalpf
I haven't played either, but the games only sound like they're fun if you like the people you play with, which is a more likely situation if you're into zombie-themed games.

More
14 Apr 2009 13:27 #25905 by Sagrilarus
Put the winner up against Buffy. Apropos in a number of ways.

Sag.

More
15 Apr 2009 15:07 #26016 by Notahandle
You probably know that I have a high opinion of LNOE. I didn't buy ATOE because I didn't think it was sufficiently different.
Guess what? My vote's for LNOE.

More
15 Apr 2009 21:50 #26029 by kookoobah
What a massacre. Wonder if AToE is going to mount a rally like Heroscape did. Somehow, it doesn't seem so.

More
15 Apr 2009 21:52 #26030 by ubarose
Touch of Evil blows chunks.

Vote: Last Night on Earth

P.S. Buffy kicks both their asses.

More
16 Apr 2009 09:54 - 16 Apr 2009 15:11 #26057 by ChristopherMD
In a shocking first for Trashdome, one of the games crapped itself and tried to surrender rather than finish the fight. Last Night On Earth wasted no time once ToE was on its knees. Doubles were rolled and LNOE drove a bigass stake right between that stupid looking vampires eyes. The remnants of A Touch Of Evil will be fed to the pigs.

Last Night On Earth = 23
Ken B.
Ska_baron
Bulwyf
lj1983
Southernman
MattLoter
grimnir
Octavian
Death and Taxis
dragonstout
JonJacob
KingPut
BloodyJack
Mr MOTO
Jason Lutes
Space Ghost
kookoobah
mrmarcus
Columbob
metalface13
Notahandle
ubarose
Bullwinkle

A Touch Of Evil = 1
Michael Barnes
Last edit: 16 Apr 2009 15:11 by ChristopherMD.

More
16 Apr 2009 09:56 #26060 by Michael Barnes
I'm just glad it's all over.

More
16 Apr 2009 10:19 #26061 by Ska_baron
Michael Barnes wrote:

I'm just glad it's all over.

Always the contrarian.

You're glad it's over because you picked a lemon.

More
16 Apr 2009 11:59 #26081 by Notahandle
Next week: Candyland vs Ogre...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds