October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Arkham Horror vs Twilight Imperium 3

More
21 Apr 2009 03:32 #26449 by kookoobah
Oh man, oh man. What a fight. Even if this ends up as a blowout (it might!) I honestly think it's a tough one to call.

If I had 6 people ready to play this game regularly, it would be the best game ever. As it stands, it takes a lot of time and effort to get this on the table. I have to twist arms to get my friends to commit to a game. When it happens though, sweet Jesus. The eurogamers in my group actually LOVE this game. The negotiation and the interaction at the table is topnotch. A solid game that doesn't get enough game time.

On the other hand, Arkham Horror plays even with just one player. I love the setting, and I don't even read Lovecraft. However, the way the expansions don't mesh together STINKS.

Tough call for me, but I'm going for Arkham Horror. Simply because it's easier to teach and get on the table.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2009 04:06 #26450 by Matt Thrower
Hideously difficult - two of my top ten games.

I've played Arkham Horror more because it can play solo and TI3 rarely gets to see the table due to the play time. But TI3 is definately the more fun game, even though the length and complexity handicap how often I can play it. So it's very tough call.

Effectively it comes down to choosing practicality (AH) over wish-fulfillment (TI3). Since I've always come down on the side of the latter, I'm going to have to go with <b>Twilight Imperium 3</b>.

More
21 Apr 2009 09:16 #26455 by Columbob
Love both games, but if we have to choose, I'd have to go with

TWILIGHT IMPERIUM III,

because it's ultimately more varied than AH. New events, characters, GOOs, monsters, weapons and spells are all good, but ultimately they don't change the game much, it's just more of the same. Which is why I'll still buy every expansion. AH does get more support and love than TI3 though, probably because it's a bestseller.

More
21 Apr 2009 09:30 #26457 by Schweig!
This is really simple for me:

TWILIGHT IMPERIUM 3

AH is a cool game, but TI3 is more tense and challenging to play. I don't generally like coop.s, too.

TI3 beats AH both with and without expansions.

More
21 Apr 2009 09:38 #26460 by Aarontu
Vote: TI3

Never played AH, but TI3 is one of my favorite games, so I have to vote for it.

More
21 Apr 2009 09:41 #26461 by sydo
Arkham Horror

TI3 has too much downtime. Btw, girls love AH and so it gets on table easier.

More
21 Apr 2009 10:17 #26465 by kookoobah
Good point sydo. I can easily get my cousins to play AH, but hell will freeze over before they'll touch Twilight Imperium. Same with girls.

Also, it's the only co-op that ever clicked for me. So that's worth points in my book.

More
21 Apr 2009 10:36 #26466 by Notahandle
kookoobah wrote:
"I can easily get my cousins to play AH, but hell will freeze over before they'll touch Twilight Imperium. Same with girls."
Hell will freeze over before your cousins will touch girls?

Haven't played TI or the 'new' version of AH (never saw the need to 'upgrade' to it and suspected there'd be loads of expansions).
I have the excellent Chaosium AH so that's my vote.

More
21 Apr 2009 10:45 - 21 Apr 2009 10:46 #26469 by Bullwinkle
I've never played TI3, but Arkham Horror would get my vote over most games I have played, anyway. Challenging but not impossible, highly replayable, perfectly customizable, and expansions really add something of significance. And most importantly (for me), an excellent solo game.

Vote: Arkham Horror
Last edit: 21 Apr 2009 10:46 by Bullwinkle. Reason: Yo mama.

More
21 Apr 2009 10:45 #26470 by Bulwyf
Arkham Horror gets my vote easy. It's a fun game that we get on the table often. Add in the AH expansions to the equation and AH becomes infinitely replayable/customizable. TI3 just failed to deliver in my book and I could never get anyone to play it. I ended up trading my copy of TI3 away.

-Will

More
21 Apr 2009 11:24 #26471 by grimnir
I've only played AH and have it in my top 10. I'm currently reading the rules for TI3 with a scheduled game day to play it in two weeks. But for now...

Vote = Arkham Horror

More
21 Apr 2009 13:29 #26478 by MattFantastic
They are both awesome, but to me the interaction and conflict in TI3 puts it ahead.

Vote: TI:3

More
21 Apr 2009 13:47 #26480 by OldHippy
What is this "I can get girls/non-gamers to play" nonsense... who cares about them?? I can get girls/non-gamers to play scrabble. Big fucking deal.

All that matters is the best game, not time, not price, not it's accesibility to girls/non-gamers, just the best, c'mon TI3 voters, let's go!!

More
21 Apr 2009 13:50 #26481 by Ken B.
I haven't gotten Arkham to the table yet, only getting it a few weeks ago.

I know already that I really love Twilight Imperium. It's an event. There's nothing like it.

Yet...

I know I will likely equally enjoy Arkham.

How can I vote when I haven't played one of them?

Aw hell, all the cool kids are doin' it...vote Twilight Imperium even though I may soon realize I enjoy Arkham just a leeeetle bit more.

More
21 Apr 2009 14:06 #26483 by Turek
vote for TI3 - King of AT

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds