October 09, 2023
2423 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Arkham Horror vs Twilight Imperium 3

More
21 Apr 2009 14:22 #26485 by clockwirk
Vote: Arkham Horror.

AH is more unique, more evocative of theme, didn't need to be fixed by expansions & house rules, has less down time, rolls more dice, plays out with more variety, can be played in a predictable amount of time...

TI:3 is cool, but AH is better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2009 14:59 #26487 by blarknob

More
21 Apr 2009 15:12 #26489 by Michael Barnes
Wow- a showdown between two tentpoles of the modern AT movement...

Not really though. TI3 is the third iteration of that game (Now with 100% more PUERTO RICO!) and ARKHAM HORROR has been around for over two decades.

Both are great games. Both are games with extremely high levels of executive theme but AH pulls ahead in terms of having a greater level of conceptual theme. TI3, for all of its artwork and flavor text, is really just an RISK/A&A/Gamemaster game with a bunch of added material.

AH is probably the best adventure game ever published, if only for the huge scope and literally infinite possible interactions and situations. Every time I play, I still run into some new problem or turn of events that makes me angry or makes me laugh.

TI3 has an epic scope too- it's a huge, huge game. It's got a level of completeness that warrants the long playtime and commitment. With SHATTERED EMPIRES on board, it's the best game in its class.

But both games have HUGE amounts of administration and overhead- it's a chore to set up and break down both games. It's worth it in the long run, but it does kind of suck that so much of the theme and atmosphere in both games is dependant on having piles and piles of cards.

Better bits? TI3. Come on, that's no contest. AH's art is very well done though.

Hard call, but my vote's with ARKHAM on this one. And not just because Richard's a friend, but because it's the game that I'd rather play.

More
21 Apr 2009 15:18 #26491 by Ken B.

And not just because Richard's a friend

PAYOLA~!

More
22 Apr 2009 14:16 #26560 by ChristopherMD
Arkham Horror
Shellhead
mrmarcus
KingPut
Southernman
Tamburlaine
Merkles
The Dukester
metalface13
kookoobah
sydo
Notahandle
Bullwinkle
Bulwyf
grimnir
clockwirk
Michael Barnes

Twilight Imperium 3
Ska_baron
Mad Malthus
JonJacob
mads b.
dave
Octavian
MattDP
Columbob
Schweig!
Aarontu
MattLoter
Ken B.
Turek
blarknob

Halfway through the fight and AH is leading by a very narrow margin. I suspect this won't be the blow out that some precockted.

More
22 Apr 2009 14:35 #26561 by Space Ghost
Mad Dog wrote:

I suspect this won't be the blow out that some precockted.

I need to get the glossary updated -- will work on it this weekend, "precockted" will be included.

More
22 Apr 2009 16:13 #26575 by Michael Barnes
This is almost like the Civil War...brother will fight against brother...

More
22 Apr 2009 19:45 #26626 by metalface13

Halfway through the fight and AH is leading by a very narrow margin. I suspect this won't be the blow out that some precockted.

What can I say, there were a lot of AH votes in the beginning. TI3 started to turn the tide though.

Isn't preDICTing a dirty enough word in of itself?

More
22 Apr 2009 20:01 #26629 by Count Orlok
TI3 is a poor excuse for a game. Swiping puerto rico role selection, discouraging combat, heavy emphasis on play order, et cetera et cetera. Maybe the game has been improved by the expansion, but the base game is so poorly handled I will never play it again. I really am curious to see how many people voting for it have played it multiple times. It seems like the bits factor and the perceived awesomeness far outweighs the game itself.

AH has hit my table at least twenty times. It works solo, two player and with crowds. The expansions give it a huge variety of choices, although it doesn't really work well with more than one big box and one small one.

AH gets as many positive votes I can give it. Fuck TI3 and its worthless ass. If I wanted to play a game that took that many hours, I would play something with action and interest. It lacks both.

More
23 Apr 2009 12:33 #26715 by Beisaic
Twilight Imperium has no chance.

More
23 Apr 2009 12:41 #26716 by OldHippy
Beisaic wrote:

Twilight Imperium has no chance.

It did have a chance until you and your buddy up above betrayed my cause and ruined it all. How can I enjoy a game of TI3 ever again knowing that people I don't know on the internet didn't vote how I told them.

You guys are ruining my life... jerks!

More
23 Apr 2009 12:53 #26717 by Michael Barnes
It's the last full day of voting and it's time for this to get NASTY.

It really saddens me to see some of F:AT's brightest lights on the wrong side of the fence here:

Ska_baron
Mad Malthus
JonJacob
mads b.
dave
Octavian
MattDP
Columbob
Schweig!
Aarontu
MattLoter
Ken B.
Turek
blarknob

When ARKHAM HORROR emerges triumphant, I think this is a good beginning of a list of folks who are going to be sacrificed to Yog-Sotwhoth.

More
23 Apr 2009 13:14 #26720 by southernman
Michael Barnes wrote:

It's the last full day of voting and it's time for this to get NASTY.

It really saddens me to see some of F:AT's brightest lights on the wrong side of the fence here:

Ska_baron
Mad Malthus
JonJacob
mads b.
dave
Octavian
MattDP
Columbob
Schweig!
Aarontu
MattLoter
Ken B.
Turek
blarknob

When ARKHAM HORROR emerges triumphant, I think this is a good beginning of a list of folks who are going to be sacrificed to Yog-Sotwhoth.

WHAT ARE THOSE PEOPLE THINKING ?!

We had a long games day last weekend and played 5 games of Caylus so we could get value out of the day - good choice as we had 5 players after sending 1 asshole home, after giving him some elegant insults first, who kept saying we should spend the whole 8 hours playing just one game of TI3.

Come on you named nameless ones - get out of that Puerto Rico haze and edit your vote to what you really wanted to say ARKHAM HORROR.

More
23 Apr 2009 13:29 #26722 by Michael Barnes
That's right Tom, it's not too late for those F:ATties listed to realize how very wrong they are and "get on the winning team", just like in the AH game.

More
23 Apr 2009 13:33 #26723 by metalface13
The masses have spoken! The only AT game that outsold Arkham Horror in the latest sales data was Axis and Allies.

Go AH!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds