October 09, 2023
2423 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Tide Of Iron vs Memoir '44

More
28 Apr 2009 08:04 #27161 by Juniper
MattDP wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

No, it's not SL, ASL, CoH, or CC:E. But it's a big dumb sex version of WWII. Kinda sloppy, a little too bulky, and not 100% accurate or whatever but at least it's fun. has cool plastic tanks, and you roll dice a bunch. AND THAT MY FRIENDS IS THE AT WAY.

Wait a minute. It kind of sounds like you described M44 there! What are you saying people ought to vote for again?

I think he's telling us to vote for big dumb sex. In a tank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2009 08:28 #27162 by generalpf
Tide of Iron: all the fun of a one hour game of Memoir '44 packed into four hours.

More
28 Apr 2009 09:03 #27163 by Ken B.
Alright Barnes, you want to draw the line in the sand...

Tide of Iron is neither fish nor fowl. Not hardcore enough for true grognards but too war-ish and clumsy for the casual wargamer.

Memoir makes no pretenses about what it is. It is stupid fun shooting and 'sploding for an hour, total. People calling this "Euro-y" just because it caught on with some Euro-dweebs is fucking retarded.

Tide of Iron is the only FFG coffin game I don't own. That speaks for itself.

More
28 Apr 2009 09:17 #27164 by Columbob
generalpf wrote:

dragonstout wrote:

Generalpf - Huh? Tide of Iron has shitty components? Where?

Like when I pay $75 for a game and I can't get the pegs to fit in the holes, so I spend an hour putting them all in by FFG's advice and then leave them overnight and half of them snap off taking them out. It's so fiddly it's ridiculous. What *is* nice about it? The boards? That's all it has going for it.

I had the same problems. Played it once, took over 20 minutes to peg the soldiers for a silly little scenario, broke 1-2 pegs taking out casualties, and I've never opened the box since that game (over a year ago) and never really felt the urge to do it either. I'll probably get rid of it when I kick myself in the butt. Sure ToI had awesome rules that had me drooling, but the fucking preparation killed it stone dead for me. Warhammer was easier to set up.

M44? Ok so it's pretty basic stuff, and I hate the way they've done the expansions as well (which I don't intend to get). It's still not bad. I might get rid of it at some point, but right now, I'd rather open that box than the ToI one for a game. That speaks for itself.

VOTE: M44.

More
28 Apr 2009 10:08 #27170 by Bulwyf
I'm happy to say, "I abstain". Both of these games are a waste of my money.

-Will

More
28 Apr 2009 10:53 #27174 by Ska_baron
Bulwyf wrote:

I'm happy to say, "I abstain". Both of these games are a waste of my money.

-Will

Yep-

They both suffer from a severe deficiency of bolt throwers!

More
28 Apr 2009 11:41 #27177 by generalpf
Columbob wrote:

M44? Ok so it's pretty basic stuff, and I hate the way they've done the expansions as well (which I don't intend to get). It's still not bad. I might get rid of it at some point, but right now, I'd rather open that box than the ToI one for a game. That speaks for itself.

VOTE: M44.

I should also qualify that I am pro-Memoir '44 but I stopped with the expansions at the Air Pack, and wish I had stopped one prior. Everything post-Pacific was junk. I would have skipped the Terrain Pack too if I had known it didn't come with good scenarios.

More
28 Apr 2009 13:06 - 28 Apr 2009 13:07 #27188 by metalface13
Wanted to play Tide of Iron when it first came out, never did. One of those games that looked great at the time, but since becomes one of those "I'd play it if it fell into my lap" kind of games.

I've played Memoir 44 a couple of games, I think it's probably my favorite out of the Commands and Colors series. Yeah the system probably doesn't work as well for a WWII game, but M44 is fast, quick, light and I could beat my brother at it who consistently spanked me in CC:A.

Vote: Memoir '44
Last edit: 28 Apr 2009 13:07 by metalface13.

More
28 Apr 2009 13:21 #27190 by Merkles
Ken B. wrote:

Alright Barnes, you want to draw the line in the sand...

Tide of Iron is neither fish nor fowl. Not hardcore enough for true grognards but too war-ish and clumsy for the casual wargamer.

Memoir makes no pretenses about what it is. It is stupid fun shooting and 'sploding for an hour, total. People calling this "Euro-y" just because it caught on with some Euro-dweebs is fucking retarded.

Tide of Iron is the only FFG coffin game I don't own. That speaks for itself.

Here, here!! Well put. I already voted for Memoir 44 but couldn't put into words my rationale at the time...Ken succeeds brilliantly.

More
28 Apr 2009 13:52 #27193 by jpat
metalface13 wrote:

Wanted to play Tide of Iron when it first came out, never did. One of those games that looked great at the time, but since becomes one of those "I'd play it if it fell into my lap" kind of games.

If it fell in your lap, playing it would be the last thing on your mind.

More
28 Apr 2009 15:35 #27206 by DeletedUser
The Trashdome is particularly bloody this week.

Excellent!

More
28 Apr 2009 15:42 #27207 by Michael Barnes
I had the same problems. Played it once, took over 20 minutes to peg the soldiers for a silly little scenario, broke 1-2 pegs taking out casualties, and I've never opened the box since that game (over a year ago) and never really felt the urge to do it either.

Oh my aching bunions.

Why do so many people have trouble with this game? Neither I nor anyone I know who owns and plays this regularly has had all this woe with it yet I hear you guys complaining about it. Box lid too tight for you?

Talk about a pain in the ass...you spend 20-30 minutes setting up M44 and then about that same amount of time playing it. At least when you get ToI going, you're going to be there long enough to warrant the setup time. M44 is a bunch of foreplay for a rather (ahem) short experience.

More
28 Apr 2009 17:24 #27223 by OldHippy

Ken B. wrote:

There is a place between hard core Grognards and casual gamers.

hard Cores... ASL
Casual... Memoir
AT'ers... TOI

To all those people who break pegs... what the fuck is wrong with you, do you play with boxing gloves on?

The set-up is not as bad as everyone says, it takes me the set-up time to formulate a strategy, do you stop thinking when your putting the bases together? Can't do two things at once?

One of my favorite things about TOI is that the scenarios have such variety (with the expansions and some on-line support that is, you have to PLAY the game to appreciate it.) games can last only one hour (about 6 scenario's I can think of off the top of my head) to 6 hours and everything inbetween... Memoir doesn't do that.

More
28 Apr 2009 17:29 #27225 by generalpf
JonJacob wrote:

To all those people who break pegs... what the fuck is wrong with you, do you play with boxing gloves on?

My pieces were obviously more defective than yours.

More
28 Apr 2009 17:58 #27230 by Shellhead
Death and Taxis wrote:

The Trashdome is particularly bloody this week.

Excellent!

It's like watching a knife fight between midgets. Neither one of these games looked good enough for the money, so I bought other games.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds