October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Tide Of Iron vs Memoir '44

More
28 Apr 2009 19:13 #27238 by Bullwinkle
Shellhead wrote:

It's like watching a knife fight between midgets.

Well, hell, I'd pay to see that, too. This thread is positively brimming with good ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2009 19:50 #27240 by mjl1783
It can be arranged, Bullwinkle, I'll PM you my Paypal info.

More
29 Apr 2009 10:29 #27264 by Columbob
Michael Barnes wrote:

I had the same problems. Played it once, took over 20 minutes to peg the soldiers for a silly little scenario, broke 1-2 pegs taking out casualties, and I've never opened the box since that game (over a year ago) and never really felt the urge to do it either.

Oh my aching bunions.

Why do so many people have trouble with this game? Neither I nor anyone I know who owns and plays this regularly has had all this woe with it yet I hear you guys complaining about it. Box lid too tight for you?

My fingers were physically aching from trying to fully insert the damned soldiers' pegs in the holes. Half were fully inserted, half were sticking out partway. It looked like shit and it was a far cry from "plug and play".

I'd much rather set up Arkham Horror or TI3. Long but painless.

More
29 Apr 2009 11:52 #27279 by JoelCFC25
I have less than zero interest in playing Tide of Iron, just based on the buzz and a cursory glance at it.

Memoir '44 doesn't pretend to be anything more than what it is--light, quick, wargame-ish fun. Don't let your view of the game be tainted by all the snooty internet flamewars about whether or not it's a "real" wargame....bleh. Some of the expansions are useless, merely exploitations of all the completists out there who just have to have everything--it's easy enough to steer clear of those.

Vote: MEMOIR '44

More
29 Apr 2009 12:24 #27282 by generalpf
Columbob wrote:

My fingers were physically aching from trying to fully insert the damned soldiers' pegs in the holes. Half were fully inserted, half were sticking out partway. It looked like shit and it was a far cry from "plug and play".

I had forgotten about the physical pain of setting up the game.

Tide of Iron wasn't released to customers, it was inflicted upon customers.

More
29 Apr 2009 12:38 #27284 by jeb
generalpf, we need to find more games you're attached to. You've really brought a lot to this discussion. Given your cat avatar and delicate lady fingers, perhaps we should pair up TIER AUF TIER and GAMMARAUDERS?

More
29 Apr 2009 16:06 #27326 by Notahandle
Shellhead wrote: "It's like watching a knife fight between midgets."
Bullwinkle wrote: "Well, hell, I'd pay to see that, too. This thread is positively brimming with good ideas."
If you're looking for something different and will pay to see it, I can set up a knife fight between midges.

mjl1783 wrote: "It can be arranged, Bullwinkle, I'll PM you my Paypal info."
I don't have my Paypal info to hand, Bullwinkle, so could you TM me your bank account details.

As for the games, I've been intensely mulling it over for the last couple of days, er, picoseconds, and my vote is:
I don't give a rat's ass because neither seemed worth buying or playing. If I must pick a game, then I'll decide on the basis of the previous Trashdome result and vote for the game that the sole ATOE-voter didn't vote for this time.

Michael Barnes wrote: "Oh my aching bunions." and "Talk about a pain in the ass..."
Columbob wrote: "My fingers were physically aching from trying to fully insert the damned ... pegs in the holes."
Did I miss a post changing this Trashdome to Sex! vs The Sex Game ? Then I vote for the game that has:-
Juniper wrote: "I think he's telling us to vote for big dumb sex. In a tank."

More
01 May 2009 10:23 #27532 by ChristopherMD
Memoir '44 = 14
Ken B.
sanildefanso
MattDP
mikoyan
generalpf
the*mad*gamer
jpat
TheDukester
grimnir
ozjesting
Merkles
Columbob
metalface13
JoelCFC25

Tide Of Iron = 16
Michael Barnes
Southernman
flim_flam
Schweig!
dragonstout
Almalik
clockwirk
jeb
LordVonTush
dysjunct
JonJacob
Death and Taxis
MrZir
mads b.
mjl1783
lj1983

Winner by a narrow margin, Tide Of Iron. Despite all the favor towards the Euro-esque Memoir, my faith in F:ATties holds with this outcome. Memoir '44 will be melted down and recycled. While Tide Of Iron will get its image on a cereal box and become the official sponsor of combat boots.

More
01 May 2009 11:32 #27538 by generalpf
Mad Dog wrote:

Winner by a narrow margin, Tide Of Iron. Despite all the favor towards the Euro-esque Memoir, my faith in F:ATties holds with this outcome. Memoir '44 will be melted down and recycled. While Tide Of Iron will get its image on a cereal box and become the official sponsor of combat boots.

I'd like to know how many of the ToI voters still play it.

Where do you get "Euro-esque" from Memoir '44? I guess Heroscape is "Euro-esque" too then.

More
01 May 2009 11:51 #27543 by Shellhead
generalpf wrote:
Where do you get "Euro-esque" from Memoir '44? I guess Heroscape is "Euro-esque" too then.[/quote]

Nah, Heroscape is purely Lego-esque.

More
01 May 2009 11:52 #27544 by Ken B.
#SHELLHEAD (Lee Adama) is thrown from an airlock for talking shit about Heroscape!

Whoops. Sorry. Got carried away.

More
01 May 2009 12:27 #27550 by ChristopherMD
generalpf wrote:

Where do you get "Euro-esque" from Memoir '44?

I take if you've never read any of the debates on other sites discussing if it should even count as a wargame instead of a eurogame. So I'll spell it out for you. M44 is a game for simpletons and sufferers of ADD who are afraid to play a real wargame. Anyone who voted for it is clearly fucking retarded and needs to go play their shitty gateway games and give up on Ameritrash.

More
01 May 2009 12:30 #27552 by Michael Barnes
It's over, boys. Wrap this shit up and go home. Sorry to hear about your loss, Eurogamers. Don't worry, there's always SMALL WORLD.

More
01 May 2009 12:32 #27553 by Ken B.
Michael Barnes wrote:

It's over, boys. Wrap this shit up and go home. Sorry to hear about your loss, Eurogamers. Don't worry, there's always SMALL WORLD.

Says the man who was on the end of the most one-sided ass-whoopin' in Trashdome history.

More
01 May 2009 12:55 #27558 by OldHippy
generalpf wrote:

I'd like to know how many of the ToI voters still play it.

Once a week, that's 52 times a fucking years and close to 150 hours of play!! Yeah man, I still play it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds