October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Buffy TVS vs Betrayal At House On Hill

More
11 May 2009 09:36 #28345 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. The winning game may return for future matches, the loser will be dead. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Buffy The Vampire Slayer (US)

VS

Betrayal At House On The Hill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2009 10:13 #28351 by dysjunct
Betrayal was a good attempt but comes off a little ham-fisted. Even with all the printing errors fixed, it's just an okay game.

Buffy, on the other hand, was clearly crafted by someone with a love and understanding of the source material. It's a much better, more coherent game -- like Fury of Dracula lite.

VOTE: BUFFY

More
11 May 2009 10:18 #28353 by Aarontu
Vote: Betrayal at House on the Hill

It's a Horror B-movie in a board game. The endgame may not always deliver due to the room draws or haunt timing, but I've always enjoyed myself during the game. When the endgame doesn't deliver it's usually humorous, but when it does, it's awesome.

More
11 May 2009 10:28 #28355 by Shellhead
Another tough choice.

I just acquired Buffy recently, and have only played once. It appears to be designed by the same people who did Star Wars Epic Duels, but there are plenty of differences between the two games. The quality of the components is very good. The map presents interesting choices and tactical options. The four scenarios and the variability of the cards offers a good amount of replay value. And the mechanism involving the sun and the moon is clever, thematic and interesting. The gameplay is fast, light and somewhat repetitive. Overall, the game falls into an odd niche, too light for many gamers, but a little too heavy for fans of the show who are not serious gamers.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is a very mixed bag. I bought it years ago, and we played it a lot for the first year. The map tiles are great, the figures are adequate, and the character "sheets" are clever. The cards are very sturdy and shuffle nicely, but the cardboard chits are too numerous and mostly bland. The rules are fairly straightforward, but there are fiddly exceptions, and then more exceptions in the scenarios. The scenarios themselves are potentially awesome, 50 different threats, and randomly triggered by combination of omen and room in the midpoint of the game. Unfortunately, the large number of scenarios proved too much for the playtesters, leaving lots of rules problems and plenty of potential for unbalanced situations.

Although I look forward to playing more Buffy, the limited scenarios and shallow game play only offer so much replay value. The extremely flawed Betrayal has been patched up with a re-written scenario book that can be downloaded, and offers so much replay that even after 40+ games, there are still a number of scenarios that we haven't played yet. So I choose Betrayal at House on the Hill.

More
11 May 2009 12:16 #28369 by Michael Barnes
Easy vote- BETRAYAL. It's accessible, has HUGE appeal to everybody, and every now and then it's a great game. More often than not, it's a mediocre one though. I really don't like the first half of the game and I think it's a really, really sloppy design but when everything lines up, it can be a lot of fun. Back at AGF, there was a group of about six gamers that played this almost exclusively for MONTHS. And none of them were board gamers.

I haven't played the BUFFY game but I've heard a lot of good things about it. The problem with it is that it's BUFFY, and I despise BUFFY. I live by a strict policy that all teenage vampire stuff other than THE LOST BOYS sucks. The few episodes I've seen of BUFFY were some of the most pandering, juvenile crap I've ever seen in my life. If I were made facist dictator tomorrow, one of my first official actions would be to arrest Joss Whedon and lock him up in a cell where he had no access to any writing materials whatsoever. Listening to his characters talk is like dying to me.

Vote BETRAYAL.

More
11 May 2009 12:28 #28370 by Rliyen
vote: Betrayal.

Never played Buffy, never will. Hate Buffy with the heat of a kajillion suns.

More
11 May 2009 12:36 #28372 by metalface13
Betrayal At House On the Hill is a great idea with a horrible and sloppy execution. Everything is just such a mess. And you talk about Runebound's crappy execution of theme where you encounter a jungle monster in the desert or something, well what about in Betrayal where the first part of the game makes it feel like you're dealing with a haunted house or poltergeist then the haunt comes and it's a chainsaw wielding maniac?

Buffy is just dumb, simple fun. It does fit the source material very well. It is in the same vein as Star Wars: Epic Duels, but probably not as good.

Vote: Buffy the Betrayal Slayer.

More
11 May 2009 14:08 #28383 by Columbob
Never really was interested in the Buffy tv show, much less a game. Sure, Betrayal could be better, but it's still a pretty fun a quick game.

VOTE: BETRAYAL AT THE HOUSE ON THE HILL

More
11 May 2009 14:09 #28384 by mrmarcus
Ummm... Betrayal.

More
11 May 2009 14:13 #28387 by Shellhead
metalface13 wrote:

Somebody at TOS posted character stuff so that you could play Betrayal with the main characters from Buffy.

More
11 May 2009 14:37 - 11 May 2009 15:53 #28390 by southernman
I've got both games - played Betrayal but not Buffy.

Betrayal looked like it would play great and fast and fun but it just dragged a bit in the game - that could have been the crowd not quite getting into it, there were a few rpgers and they overthought it a bit. Also the characters seemed a bit unbalanced - I initially thought the opposite attributes of the character on the reverse side of the card was a good idea -- until I played as the priest (I think, an old guy anyway) and was pretty useless and was killed off early.

Buffy looks great, I love the dice mechanism that was used in Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit, the game play sounds firm, you can play Evil if you hate Buffy and her weenies, and the scenarios look good although not many of them.

But can't give it to Buffy until I actually play it as, even though the one game of Betrayal wasn't as good as the hype, I saw enough to believe the hype probably has some basis.

... so, vote for Betrayal at House on the Hill (unless I play Buffy before Friday and it rocks).
Last edit: 11 May 2009 15:53 by southernman.

More
11 May 2009 15:32 #28396 by MattFantastic

More
11 May 2009 15:45 #28399 by KingPut
Buffy is one of the most fun and exciting games period. Anyone who complains about not liking the TV show has nothing to stand on. I heard the same thing about Battlestar Galatica, StarCraft, Doom, etc. People ask "Will I like the game if I don't watch the show or play the video game?" My answers is you like Agricola but you don't know anything about farming in the Middle Ages. So try out the game." Buffy is a fun game that's basically 4 on 4 combat with cool weapons and some spells.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is pretty fun and interesting but I still have to go with the underdog here.

My vote is for Buffy

More
11 May 2009 15:48 #28401 by metalface13
Shellhead wrote:

metalface13 wrote:

Somebody at TOS posted character stuff so that you could play Betrayal with the main characters from Buffy.

Can I play Buffy with Betrayal characters? It's the game system that sucks about Betrayal, not that I can't play as Buffy characters. I don't like the show THAT much.

More
11 May 2009 15:57 #28404 by Michael Barnes
Oh, I'd totally give BUFFY a shot even though I hate the show...I mean, GAME OF THRONES is practically bodice-ripping Harlequin romance for nerds, all it needed was Fabio on the cover and that game was good regardless of its source material.

But there is the issue that voting BUFFY here means that you're effectively a coward. You're scared of the spookily fucked up rulebook in BETRAYAL and the (shudder) chit that says "kidney" in a plain font. BUFFY voters have nightmares about the upstairs underground lake. They just can't handle BETRAYAL. That dude screaming on the front gives them the willies. Where are the cute teenage witches and sexy vampire bois?

No, the BUFFY voter relishes horror trappings pinned down and practically neutered by cheapjack teenage romance and "clever" screenwriting that panders to, rather than terrifies, a certain audience. They're too scared of the HARD-CORE HORROR of being turned into miniature people and having to pilot a toy plane out of the house while running from a cat.

Let 'em play BUFFY says I, while the champions of F:AT march to victory over it waving the BETRAYAL flag.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds