October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Buffy TVS vs Betrayal At House On Hill

More
11 May 2009 17:32 #28436 by metalface13
Michael Barnes wrote:

I call for MetalFace13 versus Aarontu!

Just because you use fallacies in your arguments doesn't mean you have to be a phallus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2009 17:36 #28438 by Michael Barnes
Where was there a fallacy? The logic works out:

A) Buffy sucks
B) Therefore voting for Buffy sucks

That's watertight. Vote BETRAYAL. Don't be a coward.

More
11 May 2009 17:50 #28441 by metalface13
Michael Barnes wrote:

A) Buffy sucks

Exactly. You employ fear, an appeal to the masses and non sequitur.

The game is water tight. The executive and conceptual themes line up perfectly. The moon phases track wouldn't work for any game besides one with vampires and werewolves, as would the rules for vampires not being able to enter into peoples homes. Ditto for the slaying of vampires, you've got to get their health down and then use a wooden stake card. All the other bad guys and good guys can be killed just by beating on them.

Betrayal's game play on the other hand leaks like an old man with a bladder problem - everywhere.

More
11 May 2009 18:02 #28443 by Rliyen
Michael Barnes wrote:

Two nerds enter, one nerd leaves (with a wedgie)...

More
11 May 2009 18:07 #28444 by mads b.
I've played Betrayal once some years ago and it was okay fun. But we had to read through several pages of errata in order to just make the scenario work and that sucked big time. So even though the theme is something that appeals to everyone, the amount of mistakes in the scenario booklet make it worthless to the casual gamer. And that Barnes votes for it nonetheless just goes to show that he secretly wants people to visit TOS. I really like the theme and I'm not at all discouraged by a first floor, underground lake or anything, but I still don't remember it as something spectacular.

Buffy, on the other hand, is not only the greatest tv show ever (although I can see why claiming otherwise would appeal to wannabe rebels who would, for instance, go so far as to vote for A Touch of Evil to show they don't think as the masses do), it's also one hell of a game. It scales well, it's simple yet tactical, and it totally captures the somewhat silly yet dramatic mood of the show.

My vote: BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER

One more thing: I bought the UK edition by accident. It's a roll and move game that has absolutely nothing to do with Buffy other than the box cover. So if you find it on eBay and it looks cheap, you'd better make sure it's the US game.

More
11 May 2009 18:18 #28445 by Juniper
Michael Barnes wrote:

A) Buffy sucks

Buffy may suck, but BETRAYAL sucks more. I could take a dump in a box and the result would be a better game than BETRAYAL. In fact, I think I have. And it was.

More
11 May 2009 18:22 #28446 by Shellhead
These trashdome threads keep getting nastier. I love it.

"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me."
--Alice Roosevelt Longworth

More
11 May 2009 18:36 #28447 by Michael Barnes
Look, all I'm saying is that you guys can take your little vampire prom game and file it next to MALL MADNESS for all I care.

BETRAYAL's fucked up in a lot of ways, no doubt. But that doesn't stop people from digging it like the BUFFY license does. That even non-gamers are willing to play the game despite all the errors and discrepancies says a lot. If at the end you don't care about all the problems and you just go along for the ride then you're a gamer of class and dignity. If you whine and complain that a silly, 45 minute b-grade horror game has goofy rules and some screwups...well, there's websites out there that will glady brook your nonsense.

More
11 May 2009 18:50 #28448 by Juniper
Michael Barnes wrote:

Look, all I'm saying is that you guys can take your little vampire prom game and file it next to MALL MADNESS for all I care.

BETRAYAL's fucked up in a lot of ways, no doubt. But that doesn't stop people from digging it like the BUFFY license does. That even non-gamers are willing to play the game despite all the errors and discrepancies says a lot. If at the end you don't care about all the problems and you just go along for the ride then you're a gamer of class and dignity. If you whine and complain that a silly, 45 minute b-grade horror game has goofy rules and some screwups...well, there's websites out there that will glady brook your nonsense.

BETRAYAL may have been published by a huge American company, but it has a lot in common with amateurish cottage industry Euro titles. Let's be honest, a cardboard circle that says "CHAINSAW" on it is the moral equivalent of a wooden cube. The game was rushed to the printer with far, far more typos than your average RIO GRANDE title (which is saying quite a lot). The haunts may as well have been written in German. The title even has the letter "Y" in it.

If this was from YSTARI or even DOW, you'd be its fiercest critic, Michael. You'd be saying "as long as the fanboys buy this shit, the publishers have no incentive to produce games of quality." Say no to BETRAYAL.

More
11 May 2009 19:36 #28451 by Space Ghost
Michael Barnes wrote:

A) Buffy sucks

Fuck -- you are starting to sound like Cosine.

teenybopper...[ ]...is going down early and often

Sounds like most teenage girls of the Buffy ilk .

Vote: Buffy.

More
11 May 2009 20:26 #28452 by metalface13
Rliyen wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

Two nerds enter, one nerd leaves (with a wedgie)...

I'm no nerd. You don't see me on the Star Trek movie thread debating the merits of Star Trek: Next Generation vs. Star Trek: Deep Space 9.

More
11 May 2009 21:09 #28454 by lj1983
i vote Betrayal.

why? I own it...i playtested it...and buffy is a silly tv show.

More
11 May 2009 21:27 #28456 by Shellhead
If people keep voting against the tv show, I'm going to switch my vote in favor of Buffy just to protest the silliness.

More
11 May 2009 21:43 #28459 by Juniper
Shellhead wrote:

If people keep voting against the tv show, I'm going to switch my vote in favor of Buffy just to protest the silliness.

I think the appropriate protest vote is DUMP IN A BOX.

More
11 May 2009 22:24 #28460 by ubarose
Buffy has a rocket launcher. End of discussion.

I vote Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds