October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Axis & Allies VS Starcraft: Board Game

More
18 May 2009 09:21 - 01 Jun 2009 10:00 #29184 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. The winning game may return for future matches, the loser will be dead. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

*DOAM = Dudes On A Map games.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2009 10:00 by ChristopherMD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2009 09:33 #29187 by Ska_baron
Topical and Tough matchup as always Sir MadDog!

My youth was spent playing A&A. I've only gotten to break into Starcraft once.

Never played the Anniversary edition, but I think that'd go above and beyond Stacraft. Just too much awesome. Starcraft vs. the old edition (the reeeeally old one) and Starcraft would probably come out on top.

But since I'd have to imagine either way (playing Anniversary edition or playing Starcraft more against the A&A I have played) - I'll vote: AXIS AND ALLIES.

Great global WW2.

More
18 May 2009 09:45 #29191 by Aarontu
Vote: StarCraft

Axis & Allies is a great introduction to DOAM games, but it certainly feels samey after multiple plays. Also, it sucks to be Russia.

StarCraft, with modular board pieces, totally assymetric armies, a much better technology system than A&A, and a rockin' theme is all kinds of awesome.

More
18 May 2009 09:53 #29198 by sydo
Starcraft

I have no interest in WWII game with miniatures.

More
18 May 2009 10:13 #29204 by Ken B.
Axis and Allies had its day, but it is just sort of bloated and best left with the memories. Even A&A's offshoot games do it better than the originator these days.

VOTE: Starcraft

More
18 May 2009 10:19 #29206 by Deleted User 1

More
18 May 2009 10:41 #29213 by Shellhead
I vote for Starcraft, even though I haven't played it yet. I've heard a lot of good things about Starcraft. I've played Axis and Allies, and I wasn't impressed. It was unbalanced, the opening turns almost felt scripted, and it's just awkward and slow for what it does.

More
18 May 2009 10:48 #29214 by Bulwyf
I give props to A&A for being my first big DOAM game but I quickly moved on to better titles. One of those is Starcraft. The scope, pacing, diceless combat and tech trees all come together to make one kickass game. Oh and it looks kickass too.

Vote: Starcraft

More
18 May 2009 11:35 #29228 by blarknob
Starcraft

I love A&A but starcaft just has so much new and awesome going on that I can't vote for the old guy.

More
18 May 2009 11:58 #29230 by panzerattack
Scientists have proven that Axis and Allies is the best board game known to man. Sure, some misguided fools might dispute this, but you can't argue with science.

More
18 May 2009 12:08 #29231 by Ska_baron
panzerattack wrote:

Scientists have proven that Axis and Allies is the best board game known to man. Sure, some misguided fools might dispute this, but you can't argue with science.

Whew, I was afraid I pulled a Barnes on this one and would be left holding the bag.

More
18 May 2009 14:14 #29261 by southernman
I have played both plus started on the A&A variants.

I enjoyed playing A&A 4th edition last time, and I have the D-Day version which plays well. Also have Battle of the Bulge version to yet hit the table.

Starcraft went down well when I played it the once, but something just didn't feel right. There were new ways of doing things and clever bits but it felt like something was missing. I won't be giving up on it though and will grab a seat the next time it hits the table.

On personal fun and satisfaction my vote goes to Axis & Allies - 'cos I do like WWII games.

More
18 May 2009 14:51 #29278 by DeletedUser

More
18 May 2009 15:05 #29284 by Protoss
Starcraft!
What's not to like. Planning phase is so angst and interactive. Totally asymetric armies and technologies. Modular board. And fighting from turn one!! No turtling here, no no.
Great stuff.

More
18 May 2009 15:11 #29286 by MattFantastic
A&A is great just like Risk is still great. But Starcraft is just such a better game this is really only a test of who values nostalgia over current quality. I'd happily still play both though.

Vote: Starcraft

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds