October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Axis & Allies VS Starcraft: Board Game

More
18 May 2009 17:17 #29351 by blarknob
BTW broodwar is friggin great. The leadership cards alone make it way better, and take care of a lot of the complaints about the abrupt end.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2009 17:21 #29353 by Deleted User 1
Just a quick hello to all of the "Guests" viewing this thread.

I saw 5 Guests on the last page.

It is shame you are too scared to get an account or log in.

Life is too short face your fears!

More
18 May 2009 17:32 #29355 by Michael Barnes

Steve Weeks (pictured) at his weekly game group's live action AXIS AND ALLIES session

More
18 May 2009 17:36 #29357 by jur
A&A never did it for me. It felt scripted and seemed toget down to a few important dice contests after which the game started its slow agonising descent, with the issue never being in doubt.

Starcraft does have more different ways of playing out. Good vibe, high tension, more strategic decisions and interesting dilemma's for all sides. I like.

So Starcraft it is

More
18 May 2009 17:58 #29362 by Deleted User 1
Axis and Allies is like the Beatles of Hobby boardgaming. It has been around a long time and is responsible for bring droves into the hobby.

I realize it may be cooler to like the little Indie band out of Seattle called "Starcraft"

But if you don't like Axis and Allies there is something seriously wrong with your gaming upbringing ;)

More
18 May 2009 18:06 #29367 by mjl1783
If this doesn't go down as the most one-sided beat down since Heroscape vs. Titan, F:AT really will be dead.

I'd rather be kicked in the cock than play A&A. If the Brazillian women's soccer team wanted to play this game in the nude with me, I'd tell them to go fuck themselves. If were to turn on the news tomorrow, only to find that a group of scientists had discovered that A&A was definitively proven to cure the cancer my years of smoking will inevitably cause, I'd burn every copy I could find just to rid myself of the temptation to ever play this game. If JESUS-effin'-A-CHRIST showed up at my door with a copy of A&A, I'd start worshipping Satan.

"Oh, oh, but A&A was so influential, it created so many gamers blah blah blah!"

So what? What good is that when the game is the polar opposite of fun?

Starcraft? It's a good game, sure, but compared to A&A, so is Candy Land.

Vote: Starcraft

More
18 May 2009 18:08 #29368 by Michael Barnes
That sounds really familiar...

BUT YOU'RE WRONG.

AXIS AND ALLIES is more like Emerson, Lake, and Palmer- they were a horribly bloated and cumbersome version of rock music. A&A is a horribly bloated and cumbersome version of RISK. STARCRAFT is more like Wire, brainy and studied, angular, and pushing in different directions to the point where rock and roll/the DOAM game is almost unrecognizable in its new context.

NEXUS OPS is the game AXIS AND ALLIES wishes it was in 2009...that would have been a more fair matchup. As it stands, it looks like today belongs to the young and A&A is going to be finally buried once and for all in this edition of Trashdome. SOUTH KOREAN VOTERS, WHERE ARE YOU?

More
18 May 2009 18:16 #29372 by Deleted User 1

AXIS AND ALLIES is more like Emerson, Lake, and Palmer-

HA! That's the worst insult you could give any game!

My favorite quote about Emerson, Lake and Palmer comes from Paul Stanley of KISS.

In an interview he said, back in the 70's ELP was being praised for their brilliant Rock n' Roll but listen to them today and they sound like a bunch of hot air! HA!

More
18 May 2009 18:21 #29373 by Michael Barnes
Great, so you're changing your vote? It's what Churchill would do.

More
18 May 2009 18:28 #29378 by Deleted User 1
No, because as funny as that is, you are still wrong.

If Starcraft were indeed as good as you say we would see more discussion and sales, more expansions.

The sales figures of Axis and Allies do speak volumes for the legions of gamers that love it. If it is no good, why do we continue to see more and more versions of the game?

More
18 May 2009 18:36 #29380 by Michael Barnes
If it is no good, why do we continue to see more and more versions of the game?

Would you apply that same logic to the follwing games:

MUNCHKIN
MONOPOLY
CONNECT 4
COOTIE
CANDYLAND

The world was not ready for STARCRAFT. Sometimes when a great work comes out, it arrives out of its historical context. It is misunderstood, sells under expectations, and is greeted with confusion.

But you are right- A&A sells like gangbusters, and it it remains a constast fixture in any listing of top hobby game sales.

But we also live in a world where PAUL BLART: MALL COP can top box office sales and a slurred slogan over a rehashed 808 beat and a synth loop can sell a billion records. Sometimes the masses get it right (STAR TREK), and sometimes they get it wrong (AXIS AND ALLIES).

More
18 May 2009 18:40 #29381 by Deleted User 1

Would you apply that same logic to the follwing games:

MUNCHKIN
MONOPOLY
CONNECT 4
COOTIE
CANDYLAND

No I would not because Axis and Allies is a hobby game NOT a family game like those games you mention.

Axis is Allies is really to complex for family fare and that pushes it into th erealm of the hobby game.

It is notable as one of the elite hobby games to make it into retail stores due to its sales power.

If Starcraft was good it would sell. People would hear about it. They would try it. They would buy it.

More
18 May 2009 18:41 #29382 by metalface13
the*mad*gamer wrote:

No, because as funny as that is, you are still wrong.

If Starcraft were indeed as good as you say we would see more discussion and sales, more expansions.

The sales figures of Axis and Allies do speak volumes for the legions of gamers that love it. If it is no good, why do we continue to see more and more versions of the game?

Because it's a gateway game? Because Hasbro has way more money than FFG and therefore has more money for marketing and advertising? Because Hasbro has deals lined up to sell its games at Wal-Mart, Target and Toys R Us? There are more versions of the game because Hasbro keeps milking it for all it's worth?

Just because everybody is playing it, doesn't mean it's better. What kind of peer-pressure sucker are you?

More
18 May 2009 18:45 #29383 by Michael Barnes
No I would not because Axis and Allies is a hobby game NOT a family game like those games you mention.

Axis is Allies is really to complex for family fare and that pushes it into th erealm of the hobby game.

So what you're saying is that A&A is one of "Those Games of Yours"?

More
18 May 2009 18:46 #29384 by Deleted User 1

Because Hasbro has way more money than FFG and therefore has more money for marketing and advertising?

I haven't seen an Axis and Allies TV commercial, since.... since... I don't know when.

"Knucklebones" and Undefeated magazines folded so I haven't seen any print ads

FFG has the power of the internet and so does Hasbro.

Hasbro has more money due to higher games sales. Better products sell better.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.283 seconds