October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Samurai Swords VS Fortress America

More
01 Jun 2009 09:29 #30948 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2009 09:46 - 01 Jun 2009 09:47 #30950 by Bulwyf
Holy shit this is going to be rough. I love both of these games but I'm going with Shogun. I think it was the best of the old MB Game Master series because of it's variable set up, hidden planning, cool bits and it had a freaking NINJA. And it's the the Game Master title that got played more than any other in the series by far. Hell we still play it to this day.

-Will
Last edit: 01 Jun 2009 09:47 by Bulwyf.

More
01 Jun 2009 10:16 #30954 by Michael Barnes
If you vote against FORTRESS: AMERICA you are voting against Fortress: Ameritrash's namesake. I believe I speak for most of us that such an action will be severly frowned upon.

I played SHOGUN/SAMURAI SWORDS recently and although I think it's OK, I don't think it's aged very well. In fact, I thought it was pretty boring. Ninja or not. The main problem is that the endgame conditions make the game artificially long and I also think the game lacks dynamism- it's a pretty vanilla DoaM behind the shoji screens.

F:A on the other hand has a really unique scenario, some cardplay, and some very cool thematic elements (like the partisans- WOLVERINES!). It also seems to be more reasonable in terms of length compared to the other Gamemaster games, and unlike SS or A&A, it still feels fresh and unique nearly 25 years later. I think time has borne out that it's the best of the series.

Not a complete washout for this one...it'll be tight. But I'm sticking with the patriotic choice, and that choice is FORTRESS: AMERICA.

More
01 Jun 2009 10:22 #30955 by NeonPeon
Buck Rogers!

No, uh, this is a toughie because I haven't played either game in about 20 years. I can't really comment on the gameplay or units, aside from the ninja's awesomeness.

So I'll just vote based on what I do remember...

Fortress America's back-story intrigued me as a kid. I felt an invasion on American soil wasn't completely implausible, so I felt the stakes were high, even if imaginary. Plus this awesome site's name was obviously inspired by FA. Without this game what would it be called?? (United States of Ameritrash? Ameritrash the Beautiful? Team Ameritrash?)

My biggest memories of Samurai Swords are the plastic swords that determine turn order, bidding for the ninja, and I thought using rice as money was weird at the time.

My vote is for Fortress America.

More
01 Jun 2009 11:08 #30960 by Octavian
Did you not read Bulwf's post? NINJA!

Samurai Swords

More
01 Jun 2009 11:18 #30961 by Michael Barnes
Octavian and Bulwyf- you might also enjoy the following games:

NINJA GALAXY
NINJA BURGER
SPACE PIRATE AMAZON NINJA CATGIRLS
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES PIZZA POWER

These games also feature ninjas, and as such should appeal to your easy-to-please standards.

More
01 Jun 2009 11:27 #30963 by Ska_baron
Michael Barnes wrote:

NINJA GALAXY
NINJA BURGER

These games also feature ninjas, and as such should appeal to your easy-to-please standards.

How 'bout some TICKET TO RIDE, Barnes? It's got America after all...

More
01 Jun 2009 11:28 #30964 by Rliyen
Add me to the growing list of Heretics

I've played both several times and I actually disliked F:A. It always seemed that if you did not crush America quickly, then you ended up with partisans in your backyard and their Hand of Gawd lazerz! Shogun was far more fun and got more play with my friends.

Vote for: Shogun/Samurai Swords

More
01 Jun 2009 11:34 #30965 by Michael Barnes
It always seemed that if you did not crush America quickly, then you ended up with partisans in your backyard and their Hand of Gawd lazerz!

That's how America rolls, boss. And that's a good explanation of what happened with the Ameritrash Revolution, isn't it?

It's pretty easy to see where the factions are this time- Fortress: AT-loving website patriots who are voting for FORTRESS: AMERICA and those who have been seduced by a ninja into throwing their support behind the exotic and unamerican Far East setting of SHOGUN/SAMURAI SWORDS.

I mean come on, if that's all it takes is a ninja...how soon before NINJA CAYLUS lures you into damnation?

More
01 Jun 2009 11:38 #30966 by blarknob
Shogun

I always thought fortress America was the worst of the series :(

More
01 Jun 2009 11:45 #30967 by Grudunza
Dang, it seems like for almost every one of these Trashdomes, I've only ever played one of the two games... I'm not sure if I should even be qualified to vote in that case, but anyway... It's been a long time since I played Shogun, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about it now, but it was one of the games that really got me into the hobby. I played a lot of Axis & Allies and liked that a lot, but then I liked Shogun even more when I played that. More depth, more creative, and some interesting strategic elements and considerations. I recall encouraging the friends who I was playing A&A and Shogun with that we should chip in to get Fortress America, as the premise always seemed very cool to me, but alas, that never happened.

If only to represent the nostalgic formative years of my board game hobby, I'll vote for Shogun, though I'll understand if my vote doesn't count for not having played the other option.

More
01 Jun 2009 11:52 #30969 by Aarontu
Never played Shogun/Samurai Swords, but F:A has got hovertanks, and giant lasers, and it takes place in America. That's awesome. Plus, the partisans are cool, sort of the American ideal: "get off my lawn you little !@#*! Im'a gettin' my gun!", albeit a bit more professional

Vote: Awesome, aka Fortress: America

More
01 Jun 2009 11:52 #30970 by Juniper
If there were ninjas in FORTRESS AMERICA, they'd have GIANT FISTS OF RETRIBUTION.

Attachments:

More
01 Jun 2009 11:53 #30971 by Octavian
Michael Barnes wrote:

NINJA GALAXY
NINJA BURGER

Shame on you Barnes. You of all people should recognize the difference between ninja-as-fluff-theme and ninja-that-fucking-assassinates-the-other-players.

More
01 Jun 2009 11:57 #30972 by Bulwyf
Michael Barnes wrote:

NINJA GALAXY
NINJA BURGER

Bah! You're just bitter that I posted a negative review of Game Z on TOS because of it's lack of pajama wearing assassins.

Shogun might outstay it's welcome on the table sometimes, but you can see the writing on the wall an hour or so before the official results are in. At that point we call the game and declare a winner. When you consider the less scripted nature of Shogun's gameplay, that one fault just dosen't seem so important.

We're going to have to just agree to disagree here and label me a heretic. In my experience it's Shogun that's stood the test of time with better replayability and more frequent requests for table time.

-Will

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds