October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Samurai Swords VS Fortress America

More
01 Jun 2009 12:58 #30980 by southernman
YOU NASTY FUCKER !

What a terrible choice - my two favourite Gamemaster entries.

Samurai Swords
is more of the classic wargame between the two, and it is multi-player with diplomacy and hierachal units in battle ... and the ninja. It has a hidden bidding auction (suck on that mechanic-stealing euros of the 90s/00s) and lots of (basic) warfare.

Fortress America is a semi-coop smash&over-run type wargame, it has variable and hierachal unit types for attack dice and damage results. It has event cards which help add the unexpected for the US defender, it has a better dice battle system (IMO), it has lots of different plastic vehicles ... and it has choppers with rotors and LASERS.
And it must rate a point or two higher for non-US gamers who get to kick Yankee ass.

Tough choice - but FORTRESS AMERICA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2009 13:17 #30983 by Ken B.
I never got to play Fortress: America. One thing I love about Samurai Swords is the combat system. It's incredible. Sadly, after all these years it does tend to overstay its welcome.

I think other games have improved on Samurai Swords/Shogun's vibe, but only one game would make you shout "WOLVERINES!" Therefore I will have to toss my vote in with the game I have not played, because I'm pretty sure that's how I'd vote if I got the chance to play it.

VOTE: FORTRESS: AMERITRASH (and that other game too with the similar name)

More
01 Jun 2009 13:26 #30985 by Aarontu
Ken B. wrote:

VOTE: FORTRESS: AMERITRASH (and that other game too with the similar name)

Seriously, who can vote against so much awesome?

More
01 Jun 2009 13:27 #30988 by Ken B.
Okay, that kicks giant ass. Did you do that, man?

More
01 Jun 2009 13:48 #30991 by Michael Barnes
WAHHH! The Galactica is going to fight that dragon right over the ghostly image of Eugene!

The bad news is that Ken voted F:A. That means it's going to lose based on the historical results of his support. Oh well, it's the _right_ vote at least.

WHAT DO WE WANT? WOLVERINES!
WHEN DO WE WANT IT? WOLVERINES!

More
01 Jun 2009 13:59 #30994 by Aarontu
Ken B. wrote:

Made it several days ago in some spare time. Submitted it to "weekly" snapshot, but it instead got imortalized on the "About the Fortress" page. Which is cool, but I don't think anyone saw it (except the editor).

More
01 Jun 2009 14:07 - 01 Jun 2009 14:08 #30998 by Ryan B.
Michael Barnes wrote:

If you vote against FORTRESS: AMERICA you are voting against Fortress: Ameritrash's namesake. I believe I speak for most of us that such an action will be severly frowned upon.

Well, that by itself, would make me want to go contrarian Michael and vote for Shogun/Samurai Swords. Because that would truly be the F:AT way... (LOL)

But disregarding that, this is a clear vote in my book. I like games that have a strong historical element and great gameplay. Samurai Swords doesn't feel dated. Just from gameplay alone, Shogun/Samurai Swords is a sure winner with me.

Vote: Shogun/Samurai Swords
Last edit: 01 Jun 2009 14:08 by Ryan B..

More
01 Jun 2009 14:23 #31004 by Michael Barnes
See, are you guys going to vote with Ryan? Do you all like A DOG'S LIFE too?

More
01 Jun 2009 14:25 #31005 by Ken B.
Aarontu wrote:

Ken B. wrote:

Made it several days ago in some spare time. Submitted it to "weekly" snapshot, but it instead got imortalized on the "About the Fortress" page. Which is cool, but I don't think anyone saw it (except the editor).

Sorry...Junnie's taken over a lot of the publishing gig so I missed it. It is awesome, deserves to be immortalized. Kudos, man.

More
01 Jun 2009 14:52 - 01 Jun 2009 14:55 #31020 by Ryan B.
Michael Barnes wrote:

See, are you guys going to vote with Ryan? Do you all like A DOG'S LIFE too?

(LOL) That's funny. I love it. Way to rally the troops! Hey, you'll need everything you got to stop Shogun/Samurai Swords from ruling over the land. ; ) So to help you out, I'll admit that I own and like Mona Lisa Mysteries too. (LOL)

But it still ain't gonna stop Shogun from winning this.

BTW: A Dog's Life rocks. Admittedly the rules set is whacked... but easily rectified by house rules. And women love the theme, Michael. So I'll take it. : )
Last edit: 01 Jun 2009 14:55 by Ryan B..

More
01 Jun 2009 15:11 #31021 by OldHippy
I hate to do this because Fortress Ameritreash is a very cool game but the more scripted play (as someone else already mentioned) is a little less enjoyable for me. I had the same problem with Axis and Allies too. Samurai Swords is a smooth game and pretty damned fun.

I wouldn't really play either today though.

More
01 Jun 2009 15:12 #31022 by Malloc
For most of my life I would have said Shogun to this hands down. But I recently started playing Fortress America again and as it stands now I think that one gets the not.
It is a better game than shogun in many ways, and being able to scream Wolverines!! ar random at the top of your lungs puts it over the top.

Fortress America.

-M

More
01 Jun 2009 15:49 - 01 Jun 2009 15:51 #31033 by Juniper
Michael Barnes wrote:

WHAT DO WE WANT? WOLVERINES!
WHEN DO WE WANT IT? WOLVERINES!

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Jun 2009 15:51 by Juniper.

More
01 Jun 2009 16:05 #31035 by quozl
People actually liked Fortress America? If you want to yell "WOLVERINES!", rent Red Dawn.

My vote goes to Shogun.

More
01 Jun 2009 16:15 #31037 by moofrank
Fortress Ameritrash, no doubt.

The co-op nature, and overall wackiness for me actually make it more fun than A&A. And Shogun just seems just a little TOO dry.

But then. I also like A Dog's Life. Again, it needs some house rules, and the translator probably deserves a kick for screwing up one crucial sentence about piddle markers.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds