October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Arkham Horror VS Talisman

More
22 Jun 2009 09:44 #32629 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2009 09:54 #32630 by Matt Thrower
Sorry, is this supposed to be a contest of some sort?

Arkham Horror.

More
22 Jun 2009 10:04 #32631 by NeonPeon
I agree with Matt. Even though many F:ATties hold respect and even reverence for Talisman, when it comes down to it, Arkham Horror is a much better game. I predict a landslide.

My vote is for Arkham Horror if you couldn't tell.

More
22 Jun 2009 10:06 #32632 by Rliyen
Talisman

Giving the brain dead at least a fighting chance.

More
22 Jun 2009 10:11 - 22 Jun 2009 10:16 #32633 by Aarontu
vote: Talisman

I know, I know, it's "dated" and whatever. I don't care. Me, my wife, and my friends like it a lot. There's no efficient manipulation of various mechanisms, but there's a lot of fun.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2009 10:16 by Aarontu.

More
22 Jun 2009 10:16 #32634 by jeb
ARKHAM HORROR by a mile. TALISMAN is fun and all, but ARKHAM HORROR is a frigging triumph. I could play that every day and be totally happy with my library. When you lose at AH, you fell like you got your ass kicked. When you lose at TALISMAN, you fell like you rolled shity--even though that what happened in both games.

More
22 Jun 2009 10:27 #32635 by dysjunct
Arkham Horror.

More
22 Jun 2009 10:29 #32636 by Bulwyf
After last week's contest where I didn't give a shit about either game, it's nice to see one that's a tough choice. Both are rich with theme, create great narritive and have the ability to be customized with expansions, so those criteria are a wash. While I have a soft spot in my heart for Talisman (esp 2nd ed), it suffers from some dated mechanics that can be a real drag on play. Especially if you're at a table full of min-maxers that are afraid to try for the crown. Arkham on the other hand, has benefitted from years of game design moving forward from simple roll & move mechanics and it shows. In other words, the investigators can't waste too much time before the GOO comes and melts their brians. Yeah sure it takes a while to set up and there's a lot of maintenance to be done while you play, but it's easily delt with once your group has some experience. In the end, while I love both games, I think Arkham Horror is the better title.

Vote - Arkham Horror

-Will

More
22 Jun 2009 10:29 #32637 by The King in Yellow
Good Lord.
Arkham Horror absolutely.
I really like Talisman and even purchased the 4th edition, but Arkham Horror is simply the most engrossing game out there.

More
22 Jun 2009 10:33 #32638 by Columbob
AH is a big hit with my group.
Never played Talisman.

Easy vote for me: ARKHAM HORROR.

There's just so much going on in any game, it's fun to debate who should go where to do what, who's better at taking out the monsters blocking the path to the gate, etc. etc. You can even play it by yourself.

More
22 Jun 2009 10:37 #32639 by MattFantastic
Tough vote... Arkham is a "better" game, but we play a lot more Talisman and have more fun when doing so.

Talisman

More
22 Jun 2009 11:33 - 22 Jun 2009 11:36 #32640 by OldHippy
In my mind this is no contest whatsoever. Talisman is a cute little game that is certainly fun but I can't even begin to compare it to Arkham which is an RPG in a box and an amazing one at that. I don't think I'd want to play Talisman for 4 hours... Arkham goes by in an instant even at that time.

Arkham is another one of those games that is desigened for the child in us. It is a collection of things I wish I could have had as a kid. This game is a culmination of all that is great about this hobby and it is the only true co-op that I really love.

The odd thing about Arkham is that it doesn't re-create what the games I loved as a child played like, it re-creates the feeling of those games that I loved as a child and that is much, much harder to do because I demand so much more now that I'm older.

Vote: Arkham Horror
Last edit: 22 Jun 2009 11:36 by OldHippy.

More
22 Jun 2009 11:45 #32642 by Ken B.
Arkham Horror

Talisman is goofy fun, but having just finally played Arkham this weekend, this is absolutely no contest.

More
22 Jun 2009 12:06 #32643 by Michael Barnes
TRULY A BATTLE FOR THE AGES.

This is tough...TALISMAN is an immortal classic that defined a genre. It's as great today as it's always been and the new FFG edition is on its way to greatness. There's so many memories, so many laughs in my TALISMANic history. It's the best stupid game ever made, I love how anti-elegant and sophisticated it is, I love how it creates really idiotic stories and how some of the most outrageous bullshit ever to happen in a game is always waiting for you. It's a favorite.

But ARKHAM HORROR...man. It really kind of takes the TALISMAN concept and adds so much to it. Above all else, it really adds dimension to it (har har). It develops the narrative concepts even further, and the shocking surprise is that it's actually a paragraph game in disguise. Kevin Wilson's redevelopment of it (working directly with Richard) has become one of, if not _the_, defining moments of the modern Ameritrash movement. It's a game that I think we _all_ love, and even writing this now I'm thinking about how I want to go buy Innsmouth tonight and play it solo if I have to.

So it's a vote for ARKHAM here. I love TALISMAN, but I have a feeling the tabloid headline friday is going to be "TALISMAN- its tragic last days".

More
22 Jun 2009 12:07 #32644 by southernman
Arkham Horror

Only played Talisman recently (I was doing other shit when it came out) and I'm not sure I would have played it in my younger days after tasting it - some fun but if there was ever a game in need of palyer elimination it's that one, wtf do you do if you get killed off and come back as a basic character when otheres have leveled-up and are getting ready to go for the win.

I could play Arkham just about every week.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds