October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2700 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Marvel Heroes VS Marvel Heroscape

More
29 Jun 2009 15:54 #33377 by Michael Barnes
Vote: HeroClix.

Two games enter, one game leaves.

HeroClix is a non-combatant. It will probably be paired up at some point against PIRATES OF THE SPANISH MAIN or some other eternally doomed WizKids product.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2009 17:48 #33391 by mjl1783
So, I guess I can't vote for Capes & Cowls then? Hell, I'd vote for Tilsit's Spider-Man over either of these two.

Marvel Heroes had some good ideas, and I do respect Nexus for trying to do something different in the milieu (can't believe I used that word). Ultimately though, it's mostly a failure. It feels too much like a series of optimization excercises, and while that's not automatically a deal-breaker, it's the last thing I want a superhero game to be.

It's almost impossible not to feel the same way about Marvel Heroscape that you do about the original. I love what Heroscape represents. It really is a fantastic kids game. The trouble is this game really isn't much fun without kids. Also, the Marvel version is a big disappointment. It was never supported, and used too much of the same kind of terrain from the original. Why not a bunch of city terrain?

Neither is a game I'm going to choose to play myself, and though I'm inclined to agree with Barnes and vote for the kids, I don't see how this one can hold a candle to plain ol' Heroscape for them. So, at least MH will give me a little game.

Vote: Marvel Heroes

More
29 Jun 2009 17:51 #33392 by Shellhead
mjl1783 wrote:

Also, the Marvel version is a big disappointment. It was never supported, and used too much of the same kind of terrain from the original. Why not a bunch of city terrain?

If they had done city terrain, they would have needed to move away from hex-based plastic pieces to square and rectangular pieces, due to the lack of hexagonal city blocks in the real world. That might have cut into their profit margin on expansions.

More
29 Jun 2009 17:53 #33393 by Dr. Mabuse
dave wrote:

Vote: HeroClix.

(I abstain on the original ones; haven't played either one and no real interest. And I'm a former City of Heroes player...)

"Bust a deal, face the wheel!"

More
29 Jun 2009 17:59 #33394 by mjl1783

If they had done city terrain, they would have needed to move away from hex-based plastic pieces to square and rectangular pieces, due to the lack of hexagonal city blocks in the real world. That might have cut into their profit margin on expansions.

Last I knew, most rivers and lakes aren't hexagonal in the real world either.

More
29 Jun 2009 19:14 #33397 by metalface13
Time for another one of my favorite games to perish in the Trashdome.

Vote: Marvel Heroes

Once you wrap your head around the way the game works, it's not all that convoluted. OK, maybe a little. There are definitely some things that could've been trimmed out (the story cards, the hero upgrades, etc.). Also the last time I played it, my brother and I agreed there should be some sort of co-op element. Or at least a penalty for leaving unresolved headlines on the board. I mean, super heroes are supposed to go out and fight ALL the crimes. Not just the ones with the most prestige.

Still, I think Marvel Heroes has the best combat system of any game. Pick a power, try to outguess your opponent, match up which power works against theirs and then throw some dice. Awesome.

Never played Heroscape.

More
29 Jun 2009 19:15 #33398 by metalface13
Oh yeah, Marvel Heroes usually plays in 1.5 to 2 hours too which means it can hit the table often.

More
29 Jun 2009 19:45 #33400 by maka
"Cue Maka...I'm sure he'll be in here to defend MH any minute now. "

hehe... here I am :D

Marvel Heroes is such a great game. It may seem too complex at first because it is a very original system, unlike any other game. Once you wrap your head about how the game is played, the game is pure fun. It also becomes quick to play (we've have had 15 points 2 player games last 45 minutes or less).

The aspect that lifts the game from a good game to the excellent game I consider it to be is the combat system. I've played so many games with dice-based combat system using different stats for characters (rpgs and boardgames) and this one is THE ONE. MH's combat system is a perfect mix of randomness and meaningful decisions. You have to actually outsmart your opponent so it's not only about mindless rolling and probabilities. And the powers are perfectly integrated into the whole thing. So it might seem a bit abstract, but the work so well within the combat system, adding decisions and ways to come back. Some of the battles (especially vs. big villains and masterminds) are full of excitement and tension, and not only because you're hanging there, waiting for a die roll, but actually playing against someone, trying to outguess them. That's what gives the comic book flavor to me...

MARVEL HEROES

More
29 Jun 2009 20:00 #33403 by Mr Skeletor
Shellhead wrote:

Juniper wrote:

I own both games, but don't have an opinion about which is better. I'm posting here just to share my IMPORTANT INSIGHT:

The world needs a thematic dexterity game set in the Marvel Universe. Something with wood-block buildings that crumble during super-powered combat. And utility poles and fire hydrants and Kirby dots. Lots of Kirby dots.

If only Marvel would buy the Freedom Force game and re-theme it for the Marvel Universe.

BLEH! The best thing about Freedom Force was that is didn't use an existing license - meaning it was both fresh and creative. Do we really need to see yet another tale invoving wolverine and spiderman?

More
29 Jun 2009 21:44 #33406 by Octavian
maka wrote:

Some of the battles (especially vs. big villains and masterminds) are full of excitement and tension, and not only because you're hanging there, waiting for a die roll, but actually playing against someone, trying to outguess them.

I want to play whatever version it is you're playing!

More
29 Jun 2009 22:06 #33407 by hancock.tom
It isn't as good as Maka says, but this is one vote for Marvel Heroes.

More
29 Jun 2009 22:08 #33408 by lj1983
Vote: marvelscape

More
30 Jun 2009 00:12 #33417 by metalface13
hancock.tom wrote:

It isn't as good as Maka says, but this is one vote for Marvel Heroes.

It's every bit as good as Maka says.

More
30 Jun 2009 00:15 #33418 by metalface13
The obligatory picture post

Marvel Heroscape

Marvel Heroes

More
30 Jun 2009 00:38 #33420 by Octavian
metalface13 wrote:

Marvel Heroes

Except 90% of the character depicted above are represented by cards that say "discard this for what is ostensibly this guy using his power but is abstracted to the point of absurdity".

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds