October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Settlers Of Catan VS Risk (new or old)

More
20 Jul 2009 09:09 #35546 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Basic Settlers only, no Cities & Knights.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2009 09:12 #35547 by clockwirk
Mad Dog wrote:

Risk (new or old)

Trying to give Risk a fighting chance, eh?

More
20 Jul 2009 09:30 #35551 by ChristopherMD
clockwirk wrote:

Mad Dog wrote:

Risk (new or old)

Trying to give Risk a fighting chance, eh?

More or less. Although I also think C&K would be better matched later against a civ-lite game. For me this is a tough match-up to predict so it could be a tight battle or a complete blowout. Both are classics and I can see reasons people would vote for either. Risk is the only Ameritrash option, but Catan does have quite a few F:AT fans. At the very least, a lot of us have played both games in order to have an opinion.

More
20 Jul 2009 09:37 #35554 by OldHippy
I feel dirty, it's just wrong, I've been backed into a corner. But no version of Risk will ever be as good as Settlers.... sorry.

Settlers.

More
20 Jul 2009 09:38 - 20 Jul 2009 09:44 #35555 by Bulwyf
This is a tough one because all of the different variations and possible matchups. You might need to narrow down the paramaters even more. ie Classic Risk vs basic Settlers only. As it stands I'll vote for new Risk.

-Will
Last edit: 20 Jul 2009 09:44 by Bulwyf.

More
20 Jul 2009 09:44 #35556 by Sagrilarus
Settlers of Catan by eight lengths.

There's a special place in my heart for Risk, but SoC goes the distance.

Sag.

More
20 Jul 2009 09:49 #35557 by Ska_baron
Settlers!

A great game since I first played it waaaay back when. The first board game of the coming tide that drew me out of CCGs. Never overplayed it (thankfully) and didnt even on my own copy for a long time (probably why I never overdosed on it). I *did* by the SOC card game and have enjoyed that too. Great stuff.

Risk, I really DO want to get back on the table but with the Capital rules or something to keep it from becoming the long/boring game of Risk that I recall. Risk always overstayed it's welcome on my table - guess that just meant it was time to flip it.

More
20 Jul 2009 10:24 #35561 by Michael Barnes
RISK puts up a good fight, but it's SETTLERS.

RISK is hugely influential, important, and relevant and it does not, in fact, suck at all. Particularly in its more recent incarnations. It's a historic, hugely influential and important game and will remain so no matter how many internet pundits question varioys elements of the game. It's truly a great game regardless of its supposed flaws and the latest edition of the game is brilliant- not to mention the STAR WARS OT version which is one of the best games in recent years.

However, SETTLERS will in time be every bit as historical, hugely influential, and important. There's probably not a designer working today that isn't influenced by it right now. I've been playing SETTLERS a lot the past couple of weeks thanks to the official PC game and I've kind of been rediscovering it in a lot of ways. It's amazing, and I think it is absolutely one of the greatest games ever created. There is an amazing combination of intricacy and simplicity, and the whole design hinges on interaction, decision, and luck rather than proccess and structure. That's really where Eurogame design post-2000 went totally wrong- they forgot the lessons that SETTLERS taught us that interaction and competition were more important than watertight balance and predictability. SETTLERS is beyond a shadow of a doubt the best thing to ever come out of Eurogames- probably because it transcends that genre on every level.

I'm not going to grief anybody for voting RISK. That would be silly. RISK is a great game and most of us wouldn't be here today without it- most of hobby gaming wouldn't be here today without it. But anybody that wants to throw off on SETTLERS for being a Eurogame or for whatever bizarro reason is equally silly, and they're the target if it comes to blows this week.

More
20 Jul 2009 10:33 - 20 Jul 2009 11:04 #35565 by blarknob
Risk,

It got me into gaming because of my fathers love for the game and stories he would tell of playing it across four boards with his buddies in college.

It is the great granddaddy of ameritrash and its lineage has far more appeal to me than what settlers has spawned.
Last edit: 20 Jul 2009 11:04 by blarknob.

More
20 Jul 2009 10:38 #35566 by san il defanso
For me, Risk was a game that I always felt I SHOULD like, and so I would play it sometimes, but I never enjoyed it very much. It took forever, it's only fun if you are a HUGE metagamer, and in the base game, it can be repetitive as anything. I still have an old set (what will I do, trade it away?), but it hasn't been touched in about 5 years.

Why?

Because I discovered Settlers at that point. It was this moment where I realized you could play a game of light strategy in an hour. Maybe there WAS more to board games than Risk.

Settlers of Catan

More
20 Jul 2009 10:43 #35567 by Merkles
I have three different versions of Risk. Love it.

BUT---Settlers of Catan (along with Axis and Allies) is what got me into gaming as an adult. I still love Settlers. Can play it with nearly everyone, it has trading, it has robbers, and it is fun.

VOTE: Settlers of Catan

More
20 Jul 2009 10:45 #35569 by The King in Yellow
I have to go with Risk.
I loved Settlers when I first discovered it, but it eventually wore out its welcome.
In Settlers, you get a point for having the most pretty soldiers standing around. In Risk your soldiers actually stomp on your neighbors' heads.

More
20 Jul 2009 10:51 #35572 by mrmarcus
Settlers v. Risk...

Both boil down to the dice rolls. Settlers has those games where you get nothing for a dozen or so turns and then you start striking. Risk has those moments of the "immovable object" standing up to 30+ armies. Settlers has those games where you jackrabbit out of the gates and are unstoppable. Risk has the games where you get to be the mighty wave sweeping across the world.

I think the trading/robbing puts Settlers above Risk here. You can always freeze someone out of trades, hit them with soldiers and robbers and Monopoly gets to be the king of "screw you" cards. Always have to be leery of someone trading a singular good - frequently done in our group is trading all of a good then monopoly for the same good to get it all back. In Risk, if you start falling behind there's very little you can do about it.

Settlers gets the vote.

More
20 Jul 2009 11:14 #35581 by Malloc
Fuck all you Pussies.

Risk is why we exist, and Risk get my fucking vote!

-M

More
20 Jul 2009 11:26 #35587 by NeonPeon
Violent, direct conflict games offend my sensibilities. Nah just kidding, I just don't like Risk.

Settlers it is.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.901 seconds