October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Civilizaton VS Mare Nostrum

More
27 Jul 2009 12:56 - 27 Jul 2009 14:02 #36323 by southernman
I haven't played either game that much or that recently (but neither are TD prerequisites). When I did play, Civ was slow but a good experience - while M-N left me a little bit underwhelmed, possibly it tries to do too much in a short period.

Vote Civ
Last edit: 27 Jul 2009 14:02 by southernman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2009 13:20 - 27 Jul 2009 13:23 #36327 by Bulwyf
MattDP wrote:

All you people voting for civilization - how often do you actually play it?

If I'm lucky we play it around twice a year.

And in the responses thusfar I've yet to see any good reasons why Civ is the better game. Is it historically the more influential title? Sure. Was it for many years the be-all and end-all of civilization building games? Of course. But that was then, and this is now. What gameplay advantages does it actually offer? MN seems to do all the essentially important things that Civ does, but faster, easier and with nicer components, so what's not to love?

The games of Civ I've played have been some of the best gaming moments I've ever been lucky enough to be a part of. I remember when my friend playing the Italians determined that he was out of the running so he bought cloth making, astronomy and metalworking so he could load up some boats and burn some shit down. All for no other reason than to just be an ass. The howls of anguish and shit-talking were epic. I remember the look on my wife's face when she was playing Egypt, drew Flood and then realized she didn't have Engineering. You could hear the giant flushing sounds we made from outside the house as half her civilization washed out to sea. I also remember when I was able to pull out a last turn win by cornering the Salt market through shrewd trading, lots of whining and outright theft via Piracy. Victory never tasted so sweet.

It's beacuse Civ creates memories like this that we'll arrange a game weeks in advance, order in pizza and sit down for a Saturday of epic gaming goodness. I'd play MN if you brought it out and I'd likely enjoy it. However I don't feel any need to own it and it's not going to be the civ game I suggest we drag out and play. To me MN is a good game while Civ is a great game. That's why I picked Civ in this particular trashdome.

At the very least, I want to see some actual reasoning behind these decisions, or I'll just write you all off as a bunch of Neanderthals, stuck in the past with outmoded, tedious games.

Well if my above reasoning dosen't do it for you, then I think you're dead in the pants and should turn in your F:AT badge. Remember just because something is newer or shinier, dosen't mean it's automatically better.

-Will
Last edit: 27 Jul 2009 13:23 by Bulwyf. Reason: shitty typing skillz...

More
27 Jul 2009 13:21 #36328 by Mr MOTO
MattDP wrote:

Jesus, I never thought I'd be sucked in to "do a Barnes" in one of these trashdome threads, but come on!

All you people voting for civilization - how often do you actually play it? I can take MN down to my local gaming club and play it in an evening with a bunch of Eurogamers, or I can take it to my friends' place and play back-to-back, epic grudge match sessions. You can't do that with civilization.

And in the responses thusfar I've yet to see any good reasons why Civ is the better game. Is it historically the more influential title? Sure. Was it for many years the be-all and end-all of civilization building games? Of course. But that was then, and this is now. What gameplay advantages does it actually offer? MN seems to do all the essentially important things that Civ does, but faster, easier and with nicer components, so what's not to love?

At the very least, I want to see some actual reasoning behind these decisions, or I'll just write you all off as a bunch of Neanderthals, stuck in the past with outmoded, tedious games.

I'm definitely going to vote for Civ if you can't reply to my comment under your Mare Nostrum review. If you do reply, I may vote for Mare Nostrum. It's all up to you, Matt. Help me get this on the table.

More
27 Jul 2009 13:34 #36329 by Shellhead
I think that next week's TrashDome should be Nostalgia versus Cult of the New.

More
27 Jul 2009 13:51 #36330 by mrmarcus
Shellhead wrote:

MattDP wrote:

I've already written off TrashDome as a joke. There have been too many recent TrashDomes where people voted for bullshit outcomes for bullshit reasons. And besides, I'm serious about the name. Mare Nostrum... is that latin for horse nostril or pretentious wankery in a brown box?

In a shocking discovery, people vote based on their own opinions. Film at 11.

Also, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

More
27 Jul 2009 14:12 #36336 by mikoyan
Civ sounds like the kind of game I owuld like if I could get a hold of it. When I check on ebay it goes for ungodly sums. I seriously wish one of the companies would do a reprint of it. Although I could see problems given that there is also the Sid Meir version floating around.

More
27 Jul 2009 14:19 #36337 by metalface13
Let's just get everybody straight on one thing. The voting ends FRIDAY. That's right, the vote to determine the winner ENDS on FRIDAY. In fact, that should probably be in every single initial Trashdome post.

Friday, people.

More
27 Jul 2009 14:27 #36339 by Notahandle
Shellhead wrote:
" In the spirit of recent TrashDomes, I choose Civilization, because I don't like the name "Mare Nostrum.""
In the spirit of recent Shellhead posts, I choose Civilization, but my reason(s) will remain my secret forever. Mwahahaha!

MattDP wrote:
" And in the responses thusfar I've yet to see any good reasons why Civ is the better game."
Ditto for Mare Nostrum., e.g. MattDP wrote: "Mare Nostrum because it's one of the best games ever, full stop. It'd beat most things put up against it in my opinion."

dysjunct wrote:
" Edit: I'm selling Civ (and a bunch of other, crappier games) on ebay ( link )"
Hey Michael! Bid now and you could get Caylus Magna Carta for a cent!

metalface13 wrote:
" Let's just get everybody straight on one thing. The voting ends FRIDAY. That's right, the vote to determine the winner ENDS on FRIDAY. In fact, that should probably be in every single initial Trashdome post. Friday, people."
Is that this coming Friday or the one after?

Oh yeah: vote CIVILISATION.

More
27 Jul 2009 14:30 #36340 by southernman
metalface13 wrote:

Let's just get everybody straight on one thing. The voting ends FRIDAY. That's right, the vote to determine the winner ENDS on FRIDAY. In fact, that should probably be in every single initial Trashdome post.

Friday, people.

Friday in which country and at what time ?

More
27 Jul 2009 14:34 #36341 by metalface13
Southernman wrote:

metalface13 wrote:

Friday, people.

Is this Fortress: Anglotrash? Fortress: Aussietrash?

More
27 Jul 2009 14:37 #36342 by ChristopherMD
Southernman wrote:

metalface13 wrote:

Friday, people.

Whatever time I feel like tallying the votes. :p

More
27 Jul 2009 14:45 #36343 by Matt Thrower
Bulwyf wrote:

Well if my above reasoning dosen't do it for you, then I think you're dead in the pants and should turn in your F:AT badge. Remember just because something is newer or shinier, dosen't mean it's automatically better.

Nope, your reasoning works for me. If you're actually still playing it regularly then it obviously isn't some nostalgia trip. And of course newer doesn't mean better - I voted for Dip in a recent trashdome.

For my part, MN conjurers up the sort of gaming moments you're describing. Such as one game where I made an early alliance with my neighbouring player, who then moved a ship into my sea zone to get it away from someone else, and attacked me. It was only after we'd been bitterly blaming each other for five minutes about who broke the alliance that the other players gleefully reminded us that two ships are allowed to co-exist without fighting.

More
27 Jul 2009 14:46 #36344 by Matt Thrower
Notahandle wrote:

Ditto for Mare Nostrum., e.g. MattDP wrote: "Mare Nostrum because it's one of the best games ever, full stop. It'd beat most things put up against it in my opinion."

That would be a valid point were it not for the comprehensive review I wrote of it a couple of weeks back. Take a look: it should provide most of the arguments you're looking for.

More
27 Jul 2009 15:01 #36348 by Notahandle
Mad Dog wrote:
" Whatever time I feel like tallying the votes. :p"
GMT then: Generally MadDog Time.

MattDP wrote:
" That would be a valid point were it not for the comprehensive review I wrote of it a couple of weeks back. Take a look: it should provide most of the arguments you're looking for."
Last week's TrashDome established that a vote only counts if it's posted in this forum. Therefore by extension you can only count arguments presented here. So ya boo sucks to your comprehensive review! Besides, I'm not looking for arguments, I've already voted for the better game...

More
27 Jul 2009 16:12 #36351 by southernman
Shit - sounds like Adrian's been on the 'roids. Best everyone now vote for Civ just to be on the safe side ... hopefully, even though I'm closest, I should be OK since I voted Civ but Matt isn't much further down the M4.

For the sake of Matt's wellbeing, EVERYONE vote Civ so Adrian doesn't go into a 'roid rage.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds