October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Civilizaton VS Mare Nostrum

More
01 Aug 2009 08:02 - 01 Aug 2009 08:22 #36770 by Ryan B.
MattLoter wrote:

Ryan B. wrote:

Personally, I would like to see Shogun/Wallenstein in the Trashdome, if it hasn't been in already.

Yeah, that one is totally cube free...

Well, you're right, Matt. Obviously its got wooden cubes too, which is why I noted it. But they do such a great job with the overall artwork and theme, it actually does overcome the fact that it has cubes for me. To the extent I consider Shogun a very good game, it is in my game collection.

Wallenstein/Shogun just gives you the option to do a number of non-military things which impact the game... and for me it does those better than most. I also have Samurai Swords but the two are very different. So it makes for variety in how Japanese feudalism is represented... which I find enjoyment in for my game collection.

And who knows? Stronghold may prove to have the same effect. In studying it more, the game's approach looks to be somewhat unique, which I like. I'm not totally against games with cubes. I just am worried that, overall, there starts to be a "sameness" in some of the games that are being produced nowadays....and sometimes that sameness (for me) is represented in the game components. I happen to personally enjoy a game more when the game pieces are more representative of the theme and I just like a high "toy" factor as my individual preference.

I really liked Eagle Games. Boy, would it be great now to have a company that matched that historical vision they had for boardgames? Some of their earlier designs may have been a little off on the mechanics, but they kept improving their games. I think had they stayed in business, its highly possible they would have been putting out releases that would be greatly anticipated. With a bit of rules tweaking, Napoleon in Europe has the component base for producing a great gaming experience.

At any rate, if Wallenstein/Shogun did ever make the Trashdome, I wonder who Mad Dog would put it up against?
Last edit: 01 Aug 2009 08:22 by Ryan B..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2009 08:42 - 01 Aug 2009 08:42 #36771 by clockwirk
Ryan B. wrote:

At any rate, if Wallenstein/Shogun did ever make the Trashdome, I wonder who Mad Dog would put it up against?

I'd like to see it against Struggle of Empires.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2009 08:42 by clockwirk.

More
01 Aug 2009 10:07 #36773 by MattFantastic
I like Shogun, I just think it's funny how you go from shitting all over games for having cubes and giving people shit for not being AT enough, and then profess your love for a total cube fest Euro-hybrid.

More
01 Aug 2009 10:20 - 01 Aug 2009 10:21 #36774 by Bulwyf
Hmm the first thing I could think of was a Wallenstein/Shogun vs Warrior Knights trashdome.

-Will
Last edit: 01 Aug 2009 10:21 by Bulwyf.

More
01 Aug 2009 11:04 #36775 by ChristopherMD
Good timing, Ryan. Dr_Mabuse requested a matchup a while ago for Shogun that I've been planning to do next week.

More
01 Aug 2009 11:19 - 01 Aug 2009 17:28 #36776 by Ryan B.
MattLoter wrote:

I like Shogun, I just think it's funny how you go from shitting all over games for having cubes and giving people shit for not being AT enough, and then profess your love for a total cube fest Euro-hybrid.

Well Loter, I honestly don't think your problem is with my positions. It's with me. I could honestly say the sky is blue and you would have a problem with it.

So yea, I went on a rant against cubes at one point. Big deal. So do a number of other people here. And sometimes some of the stuff I say on the forum boards IS hypocritical. It's not intentional... sometimes someone changes my mind... sometimes I am simply fallible. I even offered a no reservations apology to anyone who even *might* have thought my cube comments went too far... including you. I thought the boys at F:AT could handle it. I didn't think, in the grand scheme of things, it was too big a deal. You clearly had a huge issue with it.

I don't know how many times I have to say I don't have a problem with cubes per say... I just don't like it when I feel that there are more and more games are out there that have them. And in that...I expressing my *opinion*. You know... I'm entitled to an opinion.

I think, anyway.

And this is just a forum... I'm not writing anything noteworthy or putting out a groundbreaking, newsworthy article on BGN here. All it is... is just a completely unsupported, non-documented, maybe it has validity and maybe it doesn't *opinion*. Just like about the hundred other posts here every day.

Listen, if you disagreed with every single opinion I wrote, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't get the whole *attack Ryan personally* thing all of the time. But that's your prerogative.

To me, you seem to want to have it out on the forum boards?
Last edit: 01 Aug 2009 17:28 by Ryan B..

More
01 Aug 2009 12:21 #36777 by clockwirk
It's not like Shogun/Wallenstein is a "cube-pusher". The reason it has cubes is because it has a cube tower. If armies were represented by little Japanese army men, the combat resolution mechanism would have to be completely redone because the bits wouldn't work with the tower. If you're a fan of the tower at all, you probably have to be resigned to the presence of cubes.

More
01 Aug 2009 13:16 #36779 by southernman
Funny Ryan - you seem quite happy to "have it out on the forum boards" yourself so can't see what you're whining about. Drop the paranoia ....

More
01 Aug 2009 13:57 #36782 by Notahandle
Southernman wrote:
" ... and good to see Adrian pulling himself back together after some very peculiar game posts in the last few weeks."
Which reminds me, we're still awaiting your review of My Little Pony Monopoly.

Ryan B. wrote:
" To the extent I consider Shogun a very good game, it is in my game collection."
Yet they didn't have the originality to come up with an original name... Which annoys me because the MB game is the Shogun to me.
" At any rate, if Wallenstein/Shogun did ever make the Trashdome, I wonder who Mad Dog would put it up against?"
With apologies in advance to Shellhead because my vote will be for the other game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds