October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - WoW: Board Game VS WoW: Adventure Game

More
31 Aug 2009 09:45 #39877 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2009 10:23 #39882 by blarknob
I vote for better trash domes. I haven't cared about the last four or five.

More
31 Aug 2009 11:05 - 31 Aug 2009 11:07 #39886 by ChristopherMD
blarknob wrote:

I vote for better trash domes. I haven't cared about the last four or five.

Put up, or shut up!

And I've asked for suggestions.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2009 11:07 by ChristopherMD.

More
31 Aug 2009 13:23 #39891 by Aarontu
I haven't played either, but I like the map for the BOARD game much more than the map for the ADVENTURE game:

WOW: The adventure game uses an Arkham Horror style flowchart-ish map, while TBG uses a nice looking regular map, divided into regions.

Tentative Vote: World of Warcraft TBG

More
31 Aug 2009 13:37 #39894 by Michael Barnes
WORLD OF WARCRAFT is up there (down there?) with the worst games that FFG has produced. Ironically, WARCRAFT is also there too. But WORLD OF WARCRAFT ADVENTURE...I thought it was OK. It wasn't great, it wasn't Corey K at his best, but it was alright. And it had a couple of decent design ideas, it just fell into that "I have 10 other games like this" trap.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT is a truly bad game. I'm really surprised that Mr. Petersen was behind it, it feels really sloppy and strangely dated...it feels like playing some 1992 fantasy game with a questionable pedigree. Virtually nothing about it works. I've tried to like it four times, and I gave up on it. I've never had a game bomb straight out of the box like that four times in a row, and with four totally different groups.

I think it's going to go down as the big dud out of the coffin box games, barring something worse (!) later on down the line.

So yeah, WOWABG, totally.

More
31 Aug 2009 14:50 #39911 by DeletedUser
Michael Barnes wrote:

WORLD OF WARCRAFT is up there (down there?) with the worst games that FFG has produced.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT is a truly bad game. I'm really surprised that Mr. Petersen was behind it, it feels really sloppy and strangely dated...it feels like playing some 1992 fantasy game with a questionable pedigree. Virtually nothing about it works. I've tried to like it four times, and I gave up on it. I've never had a game bomb straight out of the box like that four times in a row, and with four totally different groups.

I think it's going to go down as the big dud out of the coffin box games, barring something worse (!) later on down the line.

Skeletor, don't worry about that review you promised me in 2012. I think I'll skip it.

More
31 Aug 2009 21:31 - 31 Aug 2009 21:31 #39960 by shryke
Michael Barnes wrote:

WORLD OF WARCRAFT is up there (down there?) with the worst games that FFG has produced. Ironically, WARCRAFT is also there too. But WORLD OF WARCRAFT ADVENTURE...I thought it was OK. It wasn't great, it wasn't Corey K at his best, but it was alright. And it had a couple of decent design ideas, it just fell into that "I have 10 other games like this" trap.

So yeah, WOWABG, totally.

I think WOW: TBG has a truly excellent character advancement/combat system. Well, sorta.

The combat system is really inventive and the skills actually mirror their WOW: The MMO conterparts really really well. It's just really clunky to do in game. Good idea, but the whole process is too complicated for a boardgame.

Which probably describes the rest of the game really. Clunky. Slow. Over-burdened.

I'd have to give it to WoW: The Adventure Game. It at least admits that the boardgame medium requires you to streamline your design.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2009 21:31 by shryke.

More
31 Aug 2009 22:07 #39961 by Sagrilarus
I showed up an hour late one evening, started from scratch, caught up to and then overtook my buddies, and then finished as the heavy-hitter in the game on the winning side. That was entertaining as hell.

World of Warcraft The Boardgame

More
31 Aug 2009 22:19 #39962 by Mr Skeletor
Glad I own both, as while both are adventure games they live on opposing ends of the spectrum.
The adventure game is good because it's quick to set up and play, whereas the boardgame is a pre-plan game, bit overall I think the boardgame is the stronger, more original design. And it plays better solo ;)

VOTE: THE BOARDGAME.

PS - I hate how they game these games near identicle titles.

More
31 Aug 2009 23:51 #39965 by Michael Barnes
That was a dumb move, I agree. They could have easily appended a subtitle or something.

I do have to say that I've never played the "big" one with either expansion, and I have heard that they improve the game dramatically...can anyone comment on that allegation?

More
01 Sep 2009 10:51 #39989 by Ken B.
I liked WOW: TBG until it hit the endgame. Then it was a car wreck. However, the character customization was top shelf. Really got into customizing your character unlike almost any other board game like it.

I was bored and nonplussed by WOW: TAG. I thought the quick combat would be nice but it makes everything feel completely unsubstantial. Before I played it, I assumed that my holy grail was a short-playing adventure game. After, I realized that by shortening such a game, you lose almost everything about it that makes it great. WOW: TAG isn't half the game Runebound is, not by a longshot.

So...vote goes to

World of Warcraft: The Board Game

More
01 Sep 2009 19:07 #40056 by Mr Skeletor
Ken B. wrote:

I liked WOW: TBG until it hit the endgame. Then it was a car wreck.

Use the optional rule at the back of the rulebook and take it out.

Before I played it, I assumed that my holy grail was a short-playing adventure game. After, I realized that by shortening such a game, you lose almost everything about it that makes it great.

Agree 100%

More
01 Sep 2009 22:00 #40069 by screamingtruth
I've never played the adventure game, but the board game was hands down the worst gaming experience I've ever had.

More
02 Sep 2009 00:08 #40083 by DeletedUser
Vote: WOW: The Adventure Game

More
02 Sep 2009 00:40 #40085 by mutagen
The expansion improved WOW:TBG, but didn't change it fundamentally. Character development was easily the most interesting aspect of the game, but wasn't enough to overcome the inertia imposed by sitting on your thumb for 15 minutes while the opposing team did a bunch of shit that wasn't the least bit relevant to your game. At least with Runebound, the turns are relatively quick, with Talisman quicker still. Just absolutely no reason to play this game if you have either of those.

The adventure game was better, but still sucked ass.

Vote: the adventure game -- sucks for only 90 minutes instead of five hours.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds