October 09, 2023
2457 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - WoW: Board Game VS WoW: Adventure Game

More
02 Sep 2009 03:21 #40093 by Protoss
Interesting Trashdome. Votes for the lesser evil. I've played neither of these. I would like to try WoW:tBG though. The character development seems very interesting and the combat is different from anything else. But since the downtime is a problem wouldn't this be a better game if you only play one team, and make the whole game a co-op experience against the clock/end-boss? The other team does not exist. Their turn is only used to spawn some blue creatures to slow you down.

Anyhow. I would like to see a Trashdome with Doom against Space Hulk. Brutal? You bet. Perhaps then I would get some arguments as to wether(spelling?) Space Hulk actually is worth getting when we already have Doom and enjoying it. Doom beat Descent and people were surprised...

Vote: WoW:tBG since that's a game I at least want to try.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2009 09:23 #40104 by Shellhead
Even Michael Vick doesn't have a dog in this fight.

More
02 Sep 2009 11:42 #40120 by screamingtruth
Protoss wrote:

Interesting Trashdome. Votes for the lesser evil. I've played neither of these. I would like to try WoW:tBG though. The character development seems very interesting and the combat is different from anything else. But since the downtime is a problem wouldn't this be a better game if you only play one team, and make the whole game a co-op experience against the clock/end-boss? The other team does not exist. Their turn is only used to spawn some blue creatures to slow you down.

Anyhow. I would like to see a Trashdome with Doom against Space Hulk. Brutal? You bet. Perhaps then I would get some arguments as to wether(spelling?) Space Hulk actually is worth getting when we already have Doom and enjoying it. Doom beat Descent and people were surprised...

Vote: WoW:tBG since that's a game I at least want to try.

The problem is that there isn't enough game here to pull off the character development aspect. Every piece of character development lets you throw more dice, or lets you get re-rolls on those dice, because that is all there is to this game, there is really nothing else that the mountains of equipment could do to the game, because rolling dice for an attack is pretty much the whole game. And therein the downtime is created. You spend your entire turn counting up all the dice that you get to roll and then you count up all the re-rolls and this goes on for 5 hours. Terrible!

More
02 Sep 2009 13:59 #40146 by metalface13
screamingtruth wrote:

I've never played the adventure game, but the board game was hands down the worst gaming experience I've ever had.

Just to help a newbie out, if you're voting against WOW:TBG make sure you cast a vote for WOW:TAG. Not that you have to cast a vote, but if you want a vote counted, make it clear. We get plenty of people making comments against/in favor of a game but fail to officially cast a vote and then go "Hey! Where's my vote!" after the results are published.

More
02 Sep 2009 14:10 #40151 by screamingtruth
metalface13 wrote:

screamingtruth wrote:

I've never played the adventure game, but the board game was hands down the worst gaming experience I've ever had.

Just to help a newbie out, if you're voting against WOW:TBG make sure you cast a vote for WOW:TAG. Not that you have to cast a vote, but if you want a vote counted, make it clear. We get plenty of people making comments against/in favor of a game but fail to officially cast a vote and then go "Hey! Where's my vote!" after the results are published.

Sure, I'll cast a vote.

VOTE: WOW:TAG

(Because it can't possibly be worse than WOW:TBG.)

More
02 Sep 2009 14:40 #40156 by southernman
Sitting on one of the FFG shelves in my bookcase - opened, punched (I think) but totally disregarded as BSG arrived followed by Arkham and Tide of Iron and more and more ...

So can't dis it for my apathy - but anyone in the UK want a copy as I don't think I'll ever get around to playing it.

More
02 Sep 2009 20:05 #40214 by Mr Skeletor
screamingtruth wrote:

The problem is that there isn't enough game here to pull off the character development aspect. Every piece of character development lets you throw more dice, or lets you get re-rolls on those dice, because that is all there is to this game, there is really nothing else that the mountains of equipment could do to the game, because rolling dice for an attack is pretty much the whole game. And therein the downtime is created. You spend your entire turn counting up all the dice that you get to roll and then you count up all the re-rolls and this goes on for 5 hours. Terrible!

What the fuck are you talking about?
If this game doesn't pull off 'character development' within the confines of a boardgame then almost no game does.
Where is all this magical RPG like character development in Talisman, Prophecy, Return of the Heroes, Arkham Horror, etc etc? You can argue everything just comes down to dice rolling in the end.

More
03 Sep 2009 03:33 #40233 by mads b.
I played WoW:tbg once and have no deside to play it again. My main problem was that keeping track of what your opponents are doing and how they are levelling (which is a big part of the game) was very difficult. But I did like the combat system even though I'm afraid that further plays would reveal that you actually don't make decisions during combat, but just roll dice. Am I right?

The adventure game on the other hand is decent fun. I've played it a lot, and it's the kind a game that I often want to play, but which rarely lives up to my expectations. It plays fast, the characters are very different, and I like the quest system because there's actually a lot of different things one can do in order to win. But even with 4 players PvP, setting traps and so on is not really a big thing because of the size of the board (even though I have to admit that we only recently found out that there's a spot on the board that lets you fight whomever you want). But maybe playing with five or six players on the same board (possible with the expansion characters) will fix this.

It doesn't satisfy my need for adventure, but I think it's quite fun, reasonably priced (in the first run, at least, don't know if they've raised the price since then), plays fast, and is in many ways a solid seven. :-P

My vote: the adventure game.

More
03 Sep 2009 05:45 #40235 by maka
I have a copy of WoW:tbG sitting there, as we don't really enjoy it. I've been trying to get rid of it with no success even though shops still sell it at its original price of 85€... crazy...

My main problem is the combat system: Too long, but with almost no meaningful decisions. You basically make the decisions as you level up, and not even that part is interesting enough to save the game.

I don't think I'll get tAG, but it does seem like a better game...

Vote: WoW:tAG

More
03 Sep 2009 21:31 #40360 by screamingtruth
Mr Skeletor wrote:

screamingtruth wrote:

What the fuck are you talking about?
If this game doesn't pull off 'character development' within the confines of a boardgame then almost no game does.
Where is all this magical RPG like character development in Talisman, Prophecy, Return of the Heroes, Arkham Horror, etc etc? You can argue everything just comes down to dice rolling in the end.

Hey I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the game. I played it through once and it was so miserable that we didn't touch it again. But as I remember it, there was only one kind of quest - go here and hit that. You'd gain equipment, which just gave you more dice to your attack rolls. By about mid way through the game, most of the game time is spent with players searching through their equipment, adding up all the various colors of dice they get, rolling them, and then going through all their equipment and adding up how many re-rolls they get. I can't remember anything about the game that constituted a strategic decision outside of whether players would break off and solo or whether they would stick together and take down bigger monsters.

My beef isn't that you roll dice in the game, my beef is that the entire lengthy game is spent counting up how many dice you are going to roll or re-roll, because there isn't enough going on in the game to make the majority of the equipment and abilities you gain anything more than 'add this many of this color of dice to your roll' type abilities.

But you know what, the game does capture the total lameness that is an MMORPG perfectly. It felt just like grinding through levels, only without the exploring element.

More
03 Sep 2009 22:29 - 04 Sep 2009 00:22 #40363 by Mr Skeletor
screamingtruth wrote:

But you know what, the game does capture the total lameness that is an MMORPG perfectly. It felt just like grinding through levels, only without the exploring element.

Well that is what the game box promised.

I think the problem is that one of us is playing a game from another dimension, because I have no idea where this 'the combat has no meaningful decitions bit you are all going on about comes from apart from the fact someone was replacing your rulebooks from candy land or something. The amount of dice manipulation and control in this game FAR SURPASSES any other adventure game on the market. The other complaints I can accept (though I don’t agree) but that one has me utterly stumped.

I may go and write some solo rules for this game just to piss you motherfuckers off.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2009 00:22 by Mr Skeletor.

More
03 Sep 2009 23:57 #40376 by shryke
I gotta agree with the Skelly-Man here.

Say what you want about boring or too long or whatever, but WoW: TBG has a very good, interesting and very much under-your-control combat system.

It also does a good job of having the boardgame skills emulate the MMO skills. If you know the videogame, you can spot exactly why skill X from the boardgame works the way it does, because it makes sense as a translation of that skill into the boardgames combat system.

More
04 Sep 2009 06:14 #40398 by maka
My problem with the combat system from WoW:tBG is basically that the decisions are pretty much obvious. The real decisions are taken beforehand, when you decide how to level up, what items to carry, etc... but when the actual combat is being played, it's pretty much automatic. And then it just takes too long...

And when you've played a character 2 or 3 times, then even the leveling becomes uninteresting, as there are not really many paths to choose from and you're bound to find one that you find optimal pretty soon.

Mr. Skeletor once compared WoW:tBG with Marvel Heroes, and in a way, their combat systems are both about rolling and manipulating dice, but to me, MH gets it right because each round you have important decisions to make starting with the bluffing aspect of choosing what set of skills to use, but also when to use special powers to your best advantage.

More
04 Sep 2009 09:49 #40415 by ChristopherMD
This wasn't too productive of a Trashdome, but that's not the end of the world...of Warcraft.

World Of Warcraft: The Adventure Game = 7
Michael Barnes
shryke
Death and Taxis
mutagen
screamingtruth
mads b.
maka

World Of Warcraft: The Board Game = 4
Sagrilarus
Mr Skeletor
Ken B.
Protoss

Wanker Of Week: For Tentative Vote = 1
Aarontu

More
04 Sep 2009 09:58 #40416 by Ken B.
Fuck yeah. The streak is alive. I think we can all say that WoW in general gets a big flaming "MEH" from the F:AT populace.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds