October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - DOOM: The Board Game VS Space Hulk

More
04 Sep 2009 09:58 #40417 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2009 10:04 #40419 by sydo
Never played DOOM, was never interested in it. But I have always loved the WH40k universe and I am still drooling over the components in my new SH box.

Space Hulk

More
04 Sep 2009 10:08 #40421 by Ken B.
Wow. DOOM is obviously the child of Space Hulk in many ways. Lots of stuff going on in that game, and the production quality on DOOM was and is incredible with a box bursting with STUFF.

However...

The Hulk is stripped down, and classic. ALIENS in boardgame form. Oh, and it's back. You secure that shit, Hudson!

VOTE: SPACE HULK

More
04 Sep 2009 10:16 #40426 by ozjesting
I once had a chance to buy DOOM plus expansion in a tiny game shop in Brisbane for $50 all up. I had NO idea what I walked away from that day! It still makes me annoyed to think about it.

I have only played Space Hulk on the computer from a program that has apparently disappeared...but was awesome!

When the pre-order went up though I waited...and waited...and wondered if $165au was too much.

Than I remembered my DOOM feeling. I would not let it happen again!

vote: Space Hulk! Because it is MINE! ;)

More
04 Sep 2009 10:26 #40430 by Michael Barnes
Oh, please. This is an embarassment. Sorry DOOM, you're done. SPACE HULK is going to destroy it, I think this might be our first total shutout.

The games are obviously very similar, but the only advantage that DOOM brings to the table is that it's multiplayer out of the box and with no modifications. Other than that, SPACE HULK beats it on every point. The new edition blows DOOM's prodution out of the water too, so this is just a complete massacre as far as I'm concerned. I bet play of DOOM drops drastically with the new SH out now.

More
04 Sep 2009 10:28 #40431 by NeonPeon
Ha...Doom is doomed because Space Hulk hype is currently at its apex.

My vote is for Doom because the monsters are cooler, and I always have more than two players.

More
04 Sep 2009 10:30 #40433 by san il defanso
Haven't played either, but Space Hulk is way more appealing.

Space Hulk

More
04 Sep 2009 10:33 #40437 by dysjunct
Space Hulk. I like DOOM, but the only reason I got it was because SH was OOP.

More
04 Sep 2009 10:35 - 04 Sep 2009 10:37 #40440 by Merkles
Michael Barnes wrote:

Oh, please. This is an embarassment. Sorry DOOM, you're done. SPACE HULK is going to destroy it, I think this might be our first total shutout.

The games are obviously very similar, but the only advantage that DOOM brings to the table is that it's multiplayer out of the box and with no modifications. Other than that, SPACE HULK beats it on every point. The new edition blows DOOM's prodution out of the water too, so this is just a complete massacre as far as I'm concerned. I bet play of DOOM drops drastically with the new SH out now.

I would be interested in more specific responses as to why Space Hulk is so much better than Doom (or Descent, for that matter, in terms of the game--though the setting is clearly different in Descent). I watched a video review just posted on BGG and it looks a heck of a lot like Descent layout.

So--is this outpouring for Space Hulk a mixture of nostalgia (for the old game), newness and hype, and the theme (Aliens and GW universe)?

I've been looking for someone or an article to lay this out for me. Why this is going to rock my world more than Descent? Or Doom? (though I've never played Doom and I own Descent).

PS -- I'm also usually more a two player game situation with my son.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2009 10:37 by Merkles.

More
04 Sep 2009 10:36 #40441 by LilRed
I own both games for some time now. And my vote has to go to Space Hulk.

Space Hulk plays faster while giving a superior play experience. The cards that Doom has don't bring much to the game. And the Monster player in Doom just has to act too much like a GM instead of really play. Space Hulk is more pressure driven with the timer and the Blips mechanic given you a feeling of impending doom from all sides like in Aliens. The only point that Doom wins is that it is more pieces to make homebrew scenarios with right out of the box.

While I love complex AT games. I think Doom went the wrong way. Doom took a great simple AT-Classic (space hulk) and made it way more complex without really feeling more immersive or giving a better play experience. I love Doom but the crown goes to Space Hulk.

More
04 Sep 2009 10:42 #40442 by Malloc
I do not know that it is that simple.

Doom does a lot of things right, Space hulk is certainly the simpler original gangsta.

In the end I will have to go with Space Hulk for my vote, but it is not the landslide you would think.

-M

More
04 Sep 2009 10:46 #40443 by NeonPeon
Space Hulk is like Doom except there's only one kind of monster and the marines' guns always jam, killing them more than anything else. Most of your tactical thought relates to what you'll do if this or that guy's gun jams. But the miniatures are really expensive and detailed, and will look awesome if you're among the 5% of the game's owners that has the skill and time to paint them all.

More
04 Sep 2009 11:34 #40454 by Aarontu
Doom does have a wide variety of monsters and weapons. Plus, there's almost no assembly required (I don't mind gluing minis together, but I know a lot of people who don't care for it).

Though Space Hulk may be awesome, I vote for DOOM. Reason being I like it, and I don't think it gets enough love. And that all a game really wants right? ...Love?

I mean, we're talking about Demons from Hell and crazy space marines trying to blow the crap out of each other here.

More
04 Sep 2009 12:10 #40461 by Mr Skeletor
Tonight was the first time ever I actually played Space Hulk in boardgame form.
It played quite differently to what I thought it would.
I don't get the Doom comparisons at all. The games felt next to nothing alike. Doom feels far more like space crusade or a dungeon crawl as opposed to SH. I can't see either game substituting for the other.
Will cast my vote later on when i have had time to digest.

More
04 Sep 2009 12:14 #40462 by ChristopherMD
I've always considered DOOM to be a non-fantasy dungeon crawl.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.808 seconds