October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - DOOM: The Board Game VS Space Hulk

More
06 Sep 2009 14:29 #40601 by Protoss
Vote: Doom

Well, I got the trashdome I asked for. And the result is as I guessed. The Space Hulk hype machine is winning big time. A lot of votes for the expensive game that just has to be good. I too hope it's good. Even though I have promised myself to never fall for The Hype again, I anyway have a reserved copy in the local game shop. Didn't get around to fetch it on Saturday though. Let's see if it is still there tomorrow.

Anyway, Doom is great! A vote for Doom since I haven't played the other one yet. Doom will still have its place since it's 2-4 players, got more variety in marine abilities, a lot of different (and BIG) monsters and totally different weapons. And cool dice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2009 14:58 #40603 by sydo
Hype? Hulk has been out for more than a couple of years...

More
06 Sep 2009 15:26 #40605 by Mr MOTO
Protoss wrote:

Well, I got the trashdome I asked for. And the result is as I guessed. The Space Hulk hype machine is winning big time. A lot of votes for the expensive game that just has to be good. I too hope it's good. Even though I have promised myself to never fall for The Hype again, I anyway have a reserved copy in the local game shop. Didn't get around to fetch it on Saturday though. Let's see if it is still there tomorrow.

Anyway, Doom is great! A vote for Doom since I haven't played the other one yet. Doom will still have its place since it's 2-4 players, got more variety in marine abilities, a lot of different (and BIG) monsters and totally different weapons. And cool dice.

Space Hulk has been out for a generation. How long does it have to be out before 'hype' becomes reality? This isn't exactly the fad of the month here. If there wasn't a new edition I'd still vote for Hulk based on my tried and true 1st edition version.

I hear there is a lot of hype around this game called Go...

The only reason Space Hulk hasn't been constant game shop store stock material is because Games Workshop doesn't want it to compete with its minis line. They never had any problem selling it.

Doom is cool. I'd have no complaints playing it if someone brought it to the table.

Good luck with your purchase Protoss, I think you'll like it.

More
06 Sep 2009 18:50 #40615 by Mr Skeletor
Merkles wrote:

Do I need to buy sprue cutters? I saw Van bought some from Hobby Lobby for 5 bucks or so, but I'm literally in the middle of the corn an hour away from somewhere like that. Online I can buy some of those Testor cutters for about 14 bucks shipped...but are needlenose cutting pliers about the same thing? Or is it worth buying the sprue cutters?

Any should do, I use metal ones I pinched from an old work myself.
They are actually pig nosed cutters, meaning instead of being long like sissors they are short and the 'blade' is horizontal not verticle. The blade side has a really flat edge which makes them awesome for sprue cutting.
Just don't use a knife or try and twist them out with your fingers.

More
06 Sep 2009 18:57 - 06 Sep 2009 20:56 #40616 by Mr Skeletor

Is it more fun to play a lone marine exploring a ship for an exit while running from the legions of hell? Or a squad of terminators seeking to complete a mission in a cool, logical fashion? The verdict is still out.
But
It is way more fun to play the devil sending out rampaging hordes of demons, springing traps and surprises on the poor marines, then it is to play the genestealer overmind simply sending out hoards of blips to overwhelm the terminators. There is a reson why Space Hulk translated so well into a computer game even in the 80s, and thats because the genestealer role is pretty damn limited.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2009 20:56 by Mr Skeletor.

More
06 Sep 2009 20:28 #40620 by maka
From what I've been reading from people that have played both 1dt and 3rd editions, it seems the changes in 3rd edition force the genestealer player to be more careful and think well when and how to approach the marines. The old "swarm them with numbers" approach that many people said was the best strategy before is much less effective now.

After trying the game today, it did seem to me the game offers a pretty deep tactical experience for both players, and that seems to make it an excellent 2 player game. But of course, it's too soon for me to be 100% sure about it...

More
06 Sep 2009 21:01 #40624 by Mr Skeletor
I based my vote on 3rd edition. Genestealer is no chop on playing the invader.

More
06 Sep 2009 22:12 #40628 by moofrank
Vote for Space Hulk.

Doom is just too damned long for what it is. I like all of the extra bits, and some of the things there. Of course the biggest issue with Doom is that it isn't Space Hulk.

BTW, props for the Frankenstein's Children and Dracula's....Revenge games. Basically these are horror Space Hulks.

More
10 Sep 2009 14:35 #40950 by Columbob
VOTE: SPACE HULK

LilRed wrote:

And the Monster player in Doom just has to act too much like a GM instead of really play.

Hmmm, not really, no.

More
10 Sep 2009 17:18 #40958 by Shellhead
I was planning to sit this one out. I've never played Space Hulk, and the high cost of acquiring it means I possibly never will. And I've only played the Doom boardgame once.

But I've been watching all the discussion here about the new edition of Space Hulk, and it does sound impressive. But I have trouble squaring that with some of the more damning comments about the earlier editions of the game, especially this one from a former fan at BGG:

"I had 3 or 4 copies of Space Hulk at one point, along with the expansion boxes, but 'over playing' the game (because it was easy to teach and quick to set up) killed it for me.
Essentially a bunch of toys and a D6, but a good kid's game and a bit of nostalgia... "

There were other remarks that that I took as warnings, about problematic rules, limited tactics, and game balance issues. The positive remarks seem to be more about nostalgia and minis than actual content.

I think that Space Hulk has crossed a line, particularly with this new edition, with amazing components and yet a weak game. Kind of like Heroscape, only with less set-up time. That takes games in a direction that I don't support. I would rather see more modest components and affordable games that have more strategy and interesting mechanics.

So I'm voting for Doom.

More
10 Sep 2009 21:12 #40968 by maka
Well... I still have just played the game twice, but so far I think SH is much better than what you think it is...

I'm all for simpler components and many of my favorite games are old AT games with small and thin counters, but I'm not going to complain if a game has excellent components as long as the gameplay holds up, and I do think SH holds up...

It's a very tactical game with some tough "push-your-luck" kind of choices and is pretty balanced for a game with such different sides. Someone on BGG compared it to Ogre... Anyway, balance issues are not very problematic because the game plays so fast you usually can just play both sides in one session and see who does better with the marines...

I don't know, but this is my first tactical "corridors and rooms" game and I don't think I'll be needing any other such game at least in quite a long time...

More
10 Sep 2009 22:15 #40971 by NeonPeon
Shellhead wrote:

I think that Space Hulk has crossed a line, particularly with this new edition, with amazing components and yet a weak game. Kind of like Heroscape, only with less set-up time. That takes games in a direction that I don't support. I would rather see more modest components and affordable games that have more strategy and interesting mechanics.

Even though I voted for Doom and made fun of Space Hulk, I must disagree. I've only played the computer version that came out last year, and it was pretty damn good. It kept me engrossed for several hours, but I lost interest when GW gave the cease and desist, and the interface screwed me one too many times.

More
11 Sep 2009 10:45 #40991 by Shellhead
NeonPeon wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Even though I voted for Doom and made fun of Space Hulk, I must disagree. I've only played the computer version that came out last year, and it was pretty damn good. It kept me engrossed for several hours, but I lost interest when GW gave the cease and desist, and the interface screwed me one too many times.

What if there was a budget version of Space Hulk for $50 that had no plastic figures, just high-quality cardboard components along the lines of Arkham Horror? Would that be a good game? Or is everybody just swooning over the minis and overlooking the minimal game?

More
11 Sep 2009 11:02 #40992 by kookoobah
I really like the game, despite the simplicity. Such simple rules, and yet the theme comes out very much so. The rules are so *ehem, ehem* elegant.

At any rate, I've spent more than my fair share of free time today reading up on Space Marines and Terminators and Librarians or whatnot. Space Hulk is a real Games Workshop gateway game, and I'm only glad I can't paint for shit or I might actually start playing WH40K.

More
11 Sep 2009 11:15 #40993 by Pat II
I played Space Hulk 1st edition the day it was put on the shelves. After a few minutes we just wanted to pack it up and get on with our game of 40k that was planned. We did play it more but it was always the same experience - filler. Nice package but not enough meat. Thye could easily have thrown in more variety this time around.

Doom is far from my favorite but it gets my vote today.

Doom

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds