October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - DOOM: The Board Game VS Space Hulk

More
14 Sep 2009 09:56 #41119 by ChristopherMD
Sorry for the late tally, I've been offline for a few days.

DOOM: The Board Game = 7
NeonPeon
Aarontu
JonJacob
Protoss
Mr Skeletor
Shellhead
Pat II

Space Hulk = 19
sydo
Ken B.
ozjesting
Michael Barnes
SanIlDefanso
dysjunct
LilRed
Malloc
Rliyen
Ancient_of_MuMu
maka
Mr MOTO
MrZir
Death and Taxis
Citadel
Merkles
kookoobah
moofrank
Columbob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2009 17:35 #41211 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I expected more of a 5 or 6 to 1 victory rather than a 2.5 to 1 but it still was clear.

More
10 Jun 2012 00:24 #127763 by bomber
Threadomancer alert!

Been interesting to follow this as I just got a brand new Space Hulk (en route) and still have doom with the expansions, which I love from the rules reading but have not had it out on the table yet. From a complete ATspazzmonaut view (mine'.. I don't even know how Fortress America works for example) SH seems a bit limited in terms of geometry, lots of long corridors, and aliens and marines in a line, no room to get past, so where are the tactics? Front man kneel down, aliens keep out of range of gunfire, marines roll 6's and avoid triples? I'm totally not getting it, meaning, I can't yet wrap my head around why you guys are loving it, I haven't got the rules to read yet, so this is based on some videos which just seem to show bored looking guys moving minis up and down 1 space wide corridors and rolling 3d6. At least doom seems more open, more things going on, more variety in monsters, weapons etc.

I'm not saying Doom >>>>>> Space Hulk, I'd just like a bit of trashy salve for my spazzmoidery.

Cheers

More
10 Jun 2012 09:31 #127774 by jgriff
The long corridors are easy for the Marines - and there aren't many of them. Corners and lack of line of sight are god-send's for the Stealers and the Marines are trying to keep some range and keep moving. The trick is that the objectives are usually on the Marines, so they have to keep moving and they can't just make a defensive position and sit there.

For the marines to be assured of mowing down Stealers, they need overlapping overwatch and that's real hard to do as you have to keep moving.

Hell, just play the first scenario and then flip sides and see what you think from there. As soon as you think you know how to do it, then the other player knows it too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bomber

More
10 Jun 2012 11:19 #127778 by Sevej
The main portion of tactics in Space Hulk, IMHO, is how you spend your command points. Sure there's some positioning, but the important decision is on command points.

The tight corridors and small rooms are actually integral to the gameplay and make the game much more tight. Less LOS arguments and you have to really think how to queue your terminators, among other things.

The most fun thing? Overwatch!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bomber

More
10 Jun 2012 12:09 #127781 by SuperflyPete
Lee, saying you like a game because you read the rules doesn't matter a whit. Imagine of people wrote reviews based solely on a read through.

And Sevej, there's a lot more to Space Hulk than Command Points. The game is about tactical decisions left and right. It's about not ever having enough resources to do what you want, about making sure every angle is covered, and about sheer luck. From Genestealer's perspective it's about blip management and placement, deception, and forcing the Marines to do something theyndon't want to do.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NeonPeon, bomber

More
10 Jun 2012 12:41 #127783 by bomber
no I get that about the rules, thats why I thought Id come here to the cradle of AT and get the lowdown!

More
10 Jun 2012 15:15 #127789 by Sevej

SuperflyTNT wrote: And Sevej, there's a lot more to Space Hulk than Command Points. The game is about tactical decisions left and right. It's about not ever having enough resources to do what you want, about making sure every angle is covered, and about sheer luck. From Genestealer's perspective it's about blip management and placement, deception, and forcing the Marines to do something theyndon't want to do.

I know Pete. It's just when I was playing it, I feel that the most important decision is regarding Command Points. Everything else seems just to "click". Covering my angles, keeping the team on the move... feels so natural. I only stopped to ponder how to use my CPs.

But honestly, playing as Genestealer, despite the aspects you wrote above (and I honestly feel those are interesting), is nowhere as exciting as playing the terminators.

More
10 Jun 2012 15:47 #127791 by bomber
OK, any variants which make the genestealer side more interesting then?

More
10 Jun 2012 16:59 #127792 by SuperflyPete
I disagree, Sevej, on all counts. There are so many complex choices in SH that it can't be distilled down to the CPs. Shit, you might get 1, you might get 6. Maybe you press your luck on a 3, re-pick and hope for higher.

And that's before you even choose a single move or turn the sandtimer.

Then, do you move the flamer guy into position and "Lay Flame You Dick" to cover yourself, or do you send in some bad ass bolterboys to lay down a hail of (bolts?) that will shred all before.

As a Genestealer, you send swarms of your brood toward that one holdout Termie, waiting for (3 FUCK) (2 FUCK) (3 FUCK) NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! as he whiffs repeatedly on overwatch and has his brain clawed from its pan by a determined and very dangerous enemy.

The tactics are where it's at with Space Hulk.

More
10 Jun 2012 18:02 #127797 by OldHippy

SuperflyTNT wrote:
The tactics are where it's at with Space Hulk.

... and the dice. Dice can make or break a game.

Man this is an old thread, can't believe I voted Doom. Honestly both are great games and serve very different purposes.

More
11 Jun 2012 00:22 #127815 by Sully
Claustrophobia? haha

More
11 Jun 2012 01:51 #127820 by Sevej

SuperflyTNT wrote: Then, do you move the flamer guy into position and "Lay Flame You Dick" to cover yourself, or do you send in some bad ass bolterboys to lay down a hail of (bolts?) that will shred all before.

I usually make these "decisions" quickly (especially since there's the dice). But throw in the CP into them, and it gets more complex, vying for opportunities and trying to push the available CPs for best gain. The resource management part is harder for me than the tactical decisions part I guess.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds