October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Middle Earth Quest VS Arabian Nights

More
04 Sep 2009 10:01 #40418 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

*Arabian Nights = Tales Of Arabian Nights

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2009 10:17 - 04 Sep 2009 10:18 #40427 by Aarontu
Vote: Tales

MEQ is cool an all, but it feels way too much like Arkham Horror with a LotR theme. The combat cards are way cool and the huge difference in play between the heroes and Sauron is cool and interesting, but I prefer Tales of the Arabian Nights for some real storytelling adventuring.

Also, the concept of "favor" kinda bugs me. Just like clues in AH, but even more abstract. Kind of like the spawn thing in Doom TBG that made its way into Descent. I guess it works in the latter game, but it thematically made more sense with the original game's setting.

My take after 1 play anyway. I like it, but I like Tales more. :)
Last edit: 04 Sep 2009 10:18 by Aarontu.

More
04 Sep 2009 10:24 #40429 by Michael Barnes
I don't think MEQ is like ARKHAM HORROR at all, aside from collecting the favor tokens. Favor is an abstraction, and I think it's an appropriate one given the high level view of the narrative the game affords. And it is thematic- in the books, they travel all over the place getting favor from various folks.

But nonetheless, TALES is the winner here. It's a timeless game, one that's stood the test of time, and is now available again in a definitive edition.

MEQ is one of the best recent games, but most folks haven't had a chance to play it yet and it needs some time on the table before it can compete with TALES.

More
04 Sep 2009 10:29 #40432 by san il defanso
Never played MEQ, but it is really at the top of my to-play/buy list.

For that matter, so is TotAN. The only difference is that I've played that one, and it is an absolute blast.

TotAN

More
04 Sep 2009 10:32 #40435 by dysjunct

More
04 Sep 2009 10:34 #40438 by MattFantastic
I still haven't gotten my copy of MEQ, and I really would like it to be better because then it would just rule mega hard.

I'll go with what I know though and say that Tales is just such a great game it would be impressive to see it bested by MEQ when I get it.

Vote: Tales

More
04 Sep 2009 11:11 #40449 by Jason Lutes
Dude, give us time to get the game and play it, for crying out loud. Trashdomes should be limited to games that have already been out for six months or something. My copy of MEQ is only just arriving some time today.

More
04 Sep 2009 11:14 #40451 by Merkles
I've had more fun with Tales of the Arabian Nights than with a bunch of games still sitting on the shelf. While MEQ seems cool and I have it on preorder with Amazon, I doubt it will get near as much play as Tales has done in the last few months.

VOTE: TALES

PS---Now I'm thinking--do I need to get MEQ?

More
04 Sep 2009 11:36 #40455 by ChristopherMD
Jason Lutes wrote:

Trashdomes should be limited to games that have already been out for six months or something.

Next week: Tales Of Thrilling Adventure VS Merchants & Marauders

More
04 Sep 2009 11:42 #40456 by mjl1783
Jeez, isn't it a bit early for MEQ to be stepping into The Dome? Most of us haven't even been able to play it yet.

Anyway, TotAN is a lot of fun. The first time I played it with my brother, he was sex changed on the first turn, and on the second he seduced a learned Wizard and was rewarded for his "efforts" with a boost in his wealth level. He's was going "What the fuck is this game? I'm a tranny who blows Wizards for money. I feel so dirty." while we just laughed our asses off.

MEQ looks cool, but when I mentioned to my group that I might get it, I was met with a very unenthusiastic "Eh, another LotR game, huh?" So even though I want to try it, it's not going to get played if I buy it. Plus, there doesn't appear to be any trannys in the game.

Vote: ToTAN

More
04 Sep 2009 12:04 #40459 by Mr Skeletor
Fucking whiners, I asked for this one to help me decide which one to get.
You should change this to sookdome. Now vote and shut the fuck up.

More
04 Sep 2009 12:09 #40460 by ChristopherMD
What's with the sex changing in TotAN? It seems like every story someone posts has at least one player being sex changed. Is there a reason its so common in the game? Were there a lot of sex change stories in the 1001 tales? I don't care that it happens, I'm just curious what the significance of it is.

More
04 Sep 2009 12:26 - 04 Sep 2009 12:37 #40464 by Hatchling
I don't know what it is about Tales. Maybe it's the lack of conflict. But I just don't feel the drama even though the narrative is there, if that makes sense.

Vote: MEQ

edit: on the other hand, i like the surprising twists of fate in Tales, and those can be dramatic. so consider my vote ambivalent.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2009 12:37 by Hatchling.

More
04 Sep 2009 12:29 #40467 by Almalik
Haven't played MEQ, might never play it. TotAN is an absolute fucking blast and I don't really have any other games like it. I don't know if TotAN would be for everyone (ie. control freaks may not enjoy it), but the non-gamers I've convinced to try it have had a lot of fun.

VOTE: TotAN

More
04 Sep 2009 13:11 #40476 by moofrank
Played both. But I think that Tales is my favorite game.

TALES.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds