October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Fury Of Dracula VS Last Night On Earth

More
14 Sep 2009 15:05 #41196 by Not Sure
And if all the "Newspaper Reports" are clustered towards the top you're playing "Race for your Unlife, Dracula Brown".

The simple solution to not liking the "fish-the-deck" scenarios in Last Night is to play a different one. They have plenty. The game is also not so finely balanced that making up your own is likely to suck too much. I don't like the fishing the deck. So I don't.

(I can't believe I'm spending any energy defending Last Night, but a lot of FoD really rubs me the wrong way. Even more than the stuff in LNoE does.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2009 16:05 #41202 by MrZir
I'm sure that Last Night on Earth can be fun. I won't turn down a chance to play it. But I would much rather play Dead of Night because I want A-movie theme, not B-movie theme.

That and Fury is a very thematic hunting game.

Fury of Dracula

More
14 Sep 2009 16:19 #41204 by Michael Barnes
But I would much rather play Dead of Night because I want A-movie theme, not B-movie theme.

Thank you for that. High five.

And if all the "Newspaper Reports" are clustered towards the top you're playing "Race for your Unlife, Dracula Brown".

Amateur Draculas are doomed in the above scenario, as was poor old Charlie Brown trying to kick that football. The problem with a lot of Dracula players is that with only one or two games under their cummerbund, it's tough to really make the most of the tools you have at hand. Junior Draculas will pant and wheeze in terror when the news breaks that there's blood bank break-ins in Belfast, but wise old vampires know how to use all those cool tricks. And the FFG edition has even more cool tricks than the GW one did.

More
14 Sep 2009 16:27 #41205 by JoelCFC25
LNoE gets staked in the heart and shot by garlic-encrusted silver bullets, then doused in holy water.

Vote: Fury of Dracula times eleventy.

More
14 Sep 2009 17:26 #41209 by shryke
Fury of Dracula

Not even a contest.

The only thing wrong with the new edition is that the dice in combat fucks up the whole Rock/Paper/Scissors set up.

More
14 Sep 2009 17:31 #41210 by NeonPeon
Sagrilarus wrote:

Last Night on Earth is Us and Them

That's funny because half the point of zombie movies, at least Romero's, is that it's never a black and white "Us vs. Them"; people are at least as dangerous to each other as the monsters. So much for capturing the theme.

More
14 Sep 2009 17:45 #41213 by bill abner
FoD runaway winner.

I think LNoE is a PoS.

More
14 Sep 2009 17:47 #41215 by Michael Barnes
There it is, the opinion of a PAID PROFESSIONAL. Submit to authority!

More
14 Sep 2009 18:00 #41217 by OldHippy
LNOE is NOT "us vs. them" ...us can be dangerous, and zombies can fuck up. LNOE is NOT a B movie. What it is is a very, very bare bones affair. It is a springboard for whatever zombie style movie you want. It is as good a story as the players want to bring to the game. The scenario's are very vague, burn out the spawn pits, get in the car and leave town, they are never more specific then that. Most of the rules are on the cards, but most of the story is what the people bring. And people can bring some good shit in my group. FoD is the same game every time. The same hunters, the same villian, the same goal. LNOE is a toolbox.

The art may not be for everyone but it is endearing. I feel like it's a bunch of people that I know. Like they're just buddies of the designers and they're doing the best they can with the money and friends they have. That's what we do with their product. The best we can with the friends and tools we have. They supply the tools and some bare bones rules and we take it from there.

Oh, and fuck you all if you don't agree. Is that aggresive enough??

If LNOE is a B movie for you... it's your heads fault.

More
14 Sep 2009 18:29 - 14 Sep 2009 18:31 #41218 by Schweig!
Alright, I'm voting for FURY OF DRACULA here,

but I also have to add, that LNOE is at least 10 times better than SUCKING VACUUM, which is just utter crap. I mean, imitating laser noises in MAG BLAST was fun, but in SV there's an actual rule which enforces players to speak in a certain accent. If a player falls out of his role, he should receive a slap on the back of his head. Sure this sounds like fun, but what's the difference here between a game, which enforces "humor" and a game, which discourages all sorts of interaction, through its rule set? I don't need a game to contrive such stupid slapstick humor. I do, however, enjoy a game such as AYE DARK OVERLORD, because there's creativity involved, much more than choosing between a Russian and a Japanese accent. Of course SV is very group dependent, but we had more fun playing fucking KELTIS, which is only unwillingly pointless.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2009 18:31 by Schweig!.

More
14 Sep 2009 18:45 - 14 Sep 2009 18:49 #41219 by Sagrilarus
Schweig! wrote:

SUCKING VACUUM, which is just utter crap.

I humbly withdraw the statement. It was completely inappropriate to compare Last Night on Earth to Sucking Vacuum, particularly in light of its cheap components, homemade artwork and insufficient ruleset.

Sag.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2009 18:49 by Sagrilarus.

More
14 Sep 2009 19:09 #41220 by Schweig!
I did NOT complain about the cheap components, homemade artwork and insufficient rule set.

I'm a war gamer.

More
14 Sep 2009 19:13 #41221 by Grudunza
Listen to you prissy little esthetes... Sorry, but I only play A-movie zombie games... zombies are soooo yesterday... I simply cannot abide the word "cheesy". Sheesh, next you'll be wearing tweed jackets, smoking pipes and discussing Proust.

Last Night on Earth does a great job capturing its intended theme with character and flair, and provides a really fun and very interactive cinematic game experience with some decent tactical/strategic cooperative gameplay. It kicks ass, plain and simple. Fury of Dracula may be great, but the one time I played it we all thought it was really rather boring. Ooh, let's play hide-and-seek, only we'll pretend that the person hiding is Dracula... Now isn't that thematic?! But don't worry, we won't really be in danger from him... most of the game he'll run away from us, and if we close in on him then we might just draw a card that let's him start all over somewhere. But we wouldn't want to play a game where there is actual danger coming at you all the time, you know, like in the form of brain-eating, limb-tearing zombies... That would be tooooo scaaaary... and besides, zombies are soooo yesterday.

To make it more clear, here is a picture of what a typical person playing Fury of Dracula might look like... note the blank stare, the low-key contemplation, the obvious sense of tedium...

Contrast that to this picture, which shows what people typically look like while playing Last Night on Earth... note the cheers, the smiles, the exultation...

(Actual games played by persons in pictures may differ from games described.)

More
14 Sep 2009 19:27 #41222 by Ryan B.
Vote: Fury of Dracula

More
14 Sep 2009 20:34 #41225 by Merkles
Vote: Fury of Dracula

Heck, even when I (inadvertently) cheat and leave England via a city without a port, it is a blast to play. Sure, the battles are simplistic, but so what.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds