October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Nexus Ops VS Neuroshima Hex

More
21 Sep 2009 17:19 #42219 by Merkles
Michael Barnes wrote:

But what if someone is looking for a "Knife fight in a phone booth lite"?

"Lite" is yet another symptom of the Rod and Tod Flanders crowd that has overrun board gaming with their niceties, phony politeness, and simpering refusal to stand by anything or to fucking man (or woman) up and show some god damned backbone. The vast overwhelming majority of people in this blasted hobby probably got picked on for having the pegasus trapper keeper and so now they're terrified of things that GO ALL THE WAY. Maybe it's because they've never GONE ALL THE WAY. But if it's "lite", I guess that's OK as long as it's not "getting their ass kicked in the locker room lite" Maybe rubbing one out to some hideous gamer-sow's picture posted by her iditoic husband is "sex lite" to them. I don't know, all I know is that "lite" needs to go, and it can take "tuckboxes" with it.

Holy shit, Batman! Is it worth getting worked up over semantics of "lite" games? I'm all for Here I Stand marathon sessions...love it. I love Twilight Struggle--and it takes a bit of time if you goes through all the years.

I got 1960: Making of the President---now that would be called more appropriately Twilight Struggle "lite", in my opinion--a situation where a game is shortened and made less interesting. I'll go there with you on that use of the word---that's bad "lite". I understand where you're coming from, if that's what you mean.

But if you're using "lite" for a game where you're looking for a relatively quick game to play with non-gamers, kids, and families--then I'm viewing it differently. Uba has had some good reviews in the past looking for AT games that play well with families and clock in around an hour or so.

For AT gamers with families and other stuff going on, I'd argue that's an acceptable category to strive for. Games like Nexus Ops, Shadow Hunters, Survive, Cutthroat Caverns, Star Wars: Epic Duels, etc. are "lite" in a good way. I don't have a hardcore gaming group out here in the corn--so these games are just plain fun for me. Trying to play a family game in the midst of busy weeks as the kids get older and busier--hell ya, I'm looking for a lite game.

I don't need to thump my chest and sound like some on BGG that my hobby is so important that I need complex, deep games that reflect that my hobby is art or some crap like that. As has been noted many times here, it is who we're playing with and it how we play it that can make any game fun--like Thunder Road (which I've never played) or Pit or Ticket to Ride.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2009 17:32 #42224 by Michael Barnes
I think we should start having a supplemental prize for the person who gets most carried away by my loudmouth, almost 95% bullshit posts in here...it never fails, at least one person steps up to the plate to fail to remember that Trashdome is the living, breathing embodiment of bullshit braggadocio!

Merkles, you win the special Michael Barnes "I got riled up in Trashdome" t-shirt. But it's a special version just for you- the "lite" edition!

More
21 Sep 2009 17:42 - 21 Sep 2009 18:06 #42226 by Schweig!
Michael Barnes wrote:

But it's definitely going to be NEXUS OPS. It's one of the best AT games of the modern movement.

You are really the devil of board gaming. First you dissipated your integrity as a board game reviewer in order to trash LNOE and now you vote against the only board game for which you advertise with a quote from your one praising review of NH. Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2009 18:06 by Schweig!.

More
21 Sep 2009 17:46 #42227 by Michael Barnes
Integrity? The only place with less integrity than Trashdome is the Gathering of Friends!

Heh, you are right though...that's the only "box quote" I've ever gotten...actually, that's not true, FFG has a quote from the BSG review on their website.

More
21 Sep 2009 17:53 #42228 by Juniper
The creatures in NEXUS OPS have teensy-weensy human riders, if you look closely. They're not just dudes on a map. They're microscopic dudes that glow like a black light Jimi Hendrix poster. On a map. Nothing lite about that, bitches.

Also, NEXUS OPS is an anagram for SEX ON PUS.

VOTE: NEXUS OPS

More
21 Sep 2009 17:55 #42230 by Merkles
Michael Barnes wrote:

I think we should start having a supplemental prize for the person who gets most carried away by my loudmouth, almost 95% bullshit posts in here...it never fails, at least one person steps up to the plate to fail to remember that Trashdome is the living, breathing embodiment of bullshit braggadocio!

Merkles, you win the special Michael Barnes "I got riled up in Trashdome" t-shirt. But it's a special version just for you- the "lite" edition!

Compared to dealing with academics and other stuff, I LOVE arguing stuff like this and not taking it personally. The way my day went led me to uncharacteristically throw in a "shit" and a "crap"-(esp dealing with academics where we can sometimes get too carried away with semantics and meanings that no one else cares about). That IS why I love such braggadocio...where, for the most part, no one gets pissed off (or at least not really). Its hard to find people--esp in academia (where it should be the complete opposite, really) that you can argue with and have a fun time doing it.

Hell, how could you get pissed off over a game you didn't make!

BTW, I'll take the shirt, baby. I'm normally quiet as a mouse (though I did peep up a few times this week)

More
21 Sep 2009 18:01 #42231 by Not Sure
Michael Barnes wrote:

I must protest, these shirts only go up to XXXXL. This puny shirt cannot contain my rage!

More
21 Sep 2009 18:02 - 21 Sep 2009 18:08 #42232 by Schweig!
I have actually played NEXUS OPS under black light.

Vote: NEXUS OPS.

Juniper wrote:

Also, NEXUS OPS is an anagram for SEX ON PUS.

Its other anagram is SEX UP, SON!
Last edit: 21 Sep 2009 18:08 by Schweig!.

More
21 Sep 2009 18:24 #42233 by metalface13
SanIlDefanso wrote:

Nexus Ops

I haven't played it, but I have played Neuroshima Hex. Nexus Ops looks for more interesting to me.

Really? Because I'm thinking the exact opposite. I've played Nexus Ops but I think Neuroshima Hex looks more interesting.

I've yet to decide how to vote though, I typically vote for the game I've played. Dare I break from tradition?

More
21 Sep 2009 18:51 #42237 by Bulwyf
Schweig! wrote:

I have actually played NEXUS OPS under black light.

My wife bought a black light for that very reason. Pure AT awesomeness there!

-Will

More
21 Sep 2009 19:15 #42238 by Mr MOTO
Neuroshima doesn't do anything for me... Seems too abstract for my AT tastes. Cool translucent blacklight figs and lots of death and dismemberment (I just made that last part up) make Nexus the clear winner to me. Nexus passes Frank's AT test with flying colors... Those dudes are mine and they are going to kick your dudes asses.

Vote: Nexus Ops

More
21 Sep 2009 20:33 - 21 Sep 2009 20:34 #42245 by Mr Skeletor
Another tough one, Hmmm.
Nexus Ops is good, but vastly overrated around here. It's kind of like a simpletons AT game, which is why it does so well with you guys. The mechanics are very solid, the units well balanced out, but the biggest problem is it just has no personality at all. Of all the territorial conquest games (or Duuuudes on a Map if you want to sound like a knucklehead) this is the one where I least feel like I am actualy taking territory. It's just 'move to this hex, move to that hex'. The symetry just kills this game, the board is a bit unenspired and the the victory conditions mean there is little long term strategy. I just don't FEEL it. The fact the theme makes fuck all sense (the humans are the cannon fodder instead of the aliens? What?) Doesn't help.
It's good because its quick, and does what it does well. But it isn't an event. I could not imagine saying to someone 'come over for some Nexus Ops!' Its something that comes out while waiting for others or to wind down. Its no classic, and there is no way in hell it comes close to being 'perfect'.

Neuroshima is almost an abstract. A hell of a lot to think about when you play it, and its the perfect length. The theme doesn't come through much, but at the same time comes through a lot in the way each army plays differently. The brawlers fight in close combat. The robots shoot. Its a smart design, though as Matt points out sometimes resolving the resolution is clumsy. Still its pretty original. I have only played the original version, not the Zman one, which I was going to buy but then seemed overpriced especially since it didn't come with "Fuck Christmas". So I own Nexus Ops but not Neuroshima, yet the more I type the more I think I should

vote Neuroshima Hex
Last edit: 21 Sep 2009 20:34 by Mr Skeletor.

More
21 Sep 2009 20:38 #42247 by Ryan B.

More
21 Sep 2009 21:14 #42249 by Hatchling
Though this thrashdome fight is totally asymmetrical, it's nonetheless quite balanced. :P

More
21 Sep 2009 22:09 #42253 by Jason Lutes
Mr MOTO wrote:

Neuroshima doesn't do anything for me... Seems too abstract for my AT tastes. Cool translucent blacklight figs and lots of death and dismemberment (I just made that last part up) make Nexus the clear winner to me. Nexus passes Frank's AT test with flying colors... Those dudes are mine and they are going to kick your dudes asses.

+1

(Vote: Nexus Ops)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds