October 09, 2023
2513 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2710 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Talisman VS Runebound

More
28 Sep 2009 16:33 #43037 by dave
Vote (of support for): Runebound.

I haven't played Talisman. But, with so many ways to play Runebound, I haven't felt the need to pursue it. The base Runebound game is awful, but most of the expansions make it a good play for 2-3 players.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2009 16:36 #43038 by OldHippy
Played Talisman years ago and never, ever desired to play it again. Runebound I didn't love but I was at least willing to play again and I did... maybe 5 times all said. Not my favorite choice for a line up but if I have to vote (it is trashdome after all) I'll vote for Runebound. Why ruin my run of voting for nothing but losers eh?

More
28 Sep 2009 17:21 #43049 by Michael Barnes
So the RUNEBOUND crowd is starting to emerge, waiting for Mr. Skeletor to show up and deliver a horseback speech and deliver them to victory.

More
28 Sep 2009 17:29 #43054 by DeletedUser
Vote: Toad! Toad! Toad!

More
28 Sep 2009 18:23 #43064 by KingPut
Talisman is really fun. It's my favorite game to play with Uba or with my daughter.

I've only played Runebound solo. It was ok. I have no interest in playing Runebound with other people there is just to many other good games to play.

My Vote is: Talisman by long shot!

More
28 Sep 2009 18:38 - 28 Sep 2009 18:40 #43068 by Schweig!
I'm going to do the same thing I did last Sunday: Not vote at all. Both choices make me sick.

While here I might as well report about my last TALISMAN session:

We were five players and had just played two games of BATTLESTAR: GALACTICA and eaten bad food. When we were deciding what to play next, I suggested another game of BSG, a friend suggested TALISMAN. I asked him if it was as good as BSG, he said no, but we played TALISMAN anyways. I think it was about 3 am and while playing everybody was constantly farting and sleeping while not on his turn, or even while not on his turn + 1 minute. Nobody cared. The whole game took about 6 hours and at the end I fought the guy on the throne with a 1 in 36 chance of winning for about 5 turns. I was the elf.

Edit: I changed my mind. Vote: RUNEBAND.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2009 18:40 by Schweig!.

More
28 Sep 2009 18:45 #43069 by Mr MOTO
Is Runeband some sort of hybrid version of both games, Schweig?

There is no way a game of Talisman ever takes six hours. Perhaps this Runeband game does though.

Did someone ban your cartoons? I miss them.

More
28 Sep 2009 19:27 #43072 by HiveGod
I knew this day would come. You're asking me which child I want to strangle with the other child's intestines?

Runebound works great as a two-player all-afternoon game. My eldest son (now 15) gets a big kick out of this and so I've played it plenty. I may be seeing it through rose-tinted father goggles, but I've enjoyed every, er, hour.

Talisman, on the other hand, is a talking testicle:

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/221861

As good as it is, I've never felt compelled to write about Runebound like that, so...

Advantage: Talisman

...but understand you're making me cry to say so.

More
28 Sep 2009 19:29 #43073 by Merkles
Michael Barnes wrote:

This Trashdome is really going to separate the true F:ATties from the posers...those who vote for a real AT classic- one of the cornerstone games of the genre- and those who vote for an incredibly shitty Martin Wallace game that feels so generic and half-assed from top to bottom I'm surprised he didn't try to pass it off as some kind of train game.

So Talisman is the true shibboleth of F:AT? Well, in that case, I don't want to be on the side of the Ephraimites.

VOTE: Talisman

(more by default...better than Runebound)

More
28 Sep 2009 19:52 #43077 by Ancient_of_MuMu
About 5 years ago after a 10 year break I took my copy of Talisman to my brother's house and played it there with him and my wife, and everyone found it dull. I left it there and he lost it and I didn't care.

I bought Runebound a couple of years ago and it fixes a lot of the faults I found in Talisman. It expands better with the alternate ending decks. It still has a few flaws but it gets regular play and I feel no inclination to pick up the new Talisman.

Vote: Runebound

More
28 Sep 2009 20:25 #43081 by The Expanding Man
Runebound should be viewed as a base game system, capable of customisation. Variations are cheap and plentiful in the form of expansion decks.

So, if Runebound is a turd, it is a turd capable of being polished.

I vote Runebound over the DnD themed Monpoly that is Talisman.

Vote: Runebound

More
28 Sep 2009 20:52 #43085 by Michael Barnes
Monopoly comparisons? "Fixing" TALISMAN? The "nostalgia" argument? Wow. It seemed as if the Spirit of '06 is truly dying. At this point we may as well wrap it up and go back to BGG. Because that's what some of this sounds like.

More
28 Sep 2009 21:23 #43086 by ubarose
The "nostalgia" argument? You have got to be kidding me. I play Talisman at least once a month. Last month I took it to game group and had to turn people who wanted to play away.

I introduced Talisman to my cousin and his son over labor day. My cousin was willing to get into it with the wife, because she was all like "We have to leave at 3pm, otherwise there will be too much traffic." And he was all like, "No way. The game is not done. I will sit in traffic an extra hour and bear your wrath, rather than leave before the crown is claimed." Then she packed up the car by herself, with the face on. You know the face. Any game worth sitting in Labor Day traffic for, with the wife wearing the face deserves to win Trashdome.

vote: Talisman

More
28 Sep 2009 21:31 #43088 by Michael Barnes
That touching story should make even the sternest AT heart well up with pride when casting a vote for TALISMAN, the one true AT choice here. That my friends is the Spirit of '06.

More
28 Sep 2009 21:39 - 28 Sep 2009 21:39 #43089 by Hatchling
I'm for Talisman on the basis of Aaron Tubb's review and in honour of Uba's heroically masochistic cousin.

"The face....the face...."

Vote: Talisman
Last edit: 28 Sep 2009 21:39 by Hatchling.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds