October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Arkham Horror VS Dune

More
05 Oct 2009 10:36 #43828 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2009 10:40 #43830 by southernman
Ho ho ho - Mad-Dog wants blood everywhere this week. I'd better go off and buff up for this ... and create a few sock puppet accounts .

More
05 Oct 2009 10:56 #43832 by lj1983
vote Arkham Horror

I know I'm in a minority, but I don't really like either game all that much. Dune felt boring and static, and Arkham feels really mechanical.

But Arkham is my wife's favorite game, hands-down. and I've started enjoying it more as she gets more comfortable with the rules and takes alot of the 'book keeping' load off my shoulders with the game. and buying the dunwich expansion fixed the end-game issues with arkham for me. I traded arkham away once, but traded it back and bought dunwich on her request. dunwich has made it an enjoyable game for me.

dune...i played one game, went 3 hours and not a whole lot happened. 4 players I think, alliances switched a couple times, but no-one was able to get an upper hand on anyone else. Eventually I allied with another player for a joint win. but no-one enjoyed it, and we were all pretty glad that it ended.

Maybe another play with different people or something would bring out this game...but for now, I don't have a huge urge to play it again. I would if someone else really wanted to, but I sure won't request it.

More
05 Oct 2009 11:05 #43835 by Michael Barnes
This Trashdome is going to cause me to turn my back on a longtime friend. This is how strongly I feel about voting _right_.

DUNE. There's no other game like it and there never will be. It is _the_ embodiment of everything that AT has ever stood for, top to bottom. It is also the Kwitsatz Haderach, foretelling the conmingling of AT and Euro design styles and the modern AT movement. It is the perfect game, the one that sums up everything I love about adventure and hobby gaming in one package. The _only_ negative point is that it is very volatile, some games are going to be more exciting than others, some end stupidly and without full development. I've had hour games, and I've had four hour games. But that unpredictability kind of makes it interesting to me.

ARKHAM HORROR is a great game, no doubt. It's one of the top adventure games ever published, and it has a vastness and a real sense of world creation that is largely unrivaled in board games. Its greatest handicap in this Trashdome is that it isn't DUNE.

Sorry Launius, I'm voting DUNE.

More
05 Oct 2009 11:10 #43836 by OldHippy
Now I've only played Dune twice, and it was a print and play version so I am a bit biased. I enjoyed Dune but I am not a very big fan of the novels, or the world. If I were to play a game like Dune I would probably choose something else to play but Arkham is the absolute best co-op game I have ever played (although Space Alert is close). It's hard to imagine how an old game like Arkham nailed the co-op genre before it even became a big thing in gaming. Years before Shadow's Over Camelot or Pandemic (ugh..) Arkham was showing board gmae fans how to do co-op right. Plus the theme is perfect. Lovecraft might not be the most virtuosic of writers, and may even be a bit sloppy at times, but his vision is awe inspiring and the game captures that perfectly.

vote:

Arkham Horror

More
05 Oct 2009 11:12 #43837 by Matt Thrower
Much as it disgusts me to vote for a game from a genre I hate over a game from a genre I love, I'm going to have to vote for Arkham Horror.

The reason is very simple. I first played Dune relatively recently and although it was a great game, it wasn't as great as I was expecting. I found the limitations on movement frustrating - sure its an open strategy game but you still only get one (guild transport) or two (ornithoper) group moves per turn. That restriction made it feel more like a Euro-conflict game than proper Ameritrash. I also found - and this took me completely by surprise - that I thought there was too much hidden information in the game. Everyone knows something, but no-one knows that much about anything and the paranoia is just unbelievable. At times the chaos got so bad that it felt like you might as well be making decisions not know anything at all about the game state. I'll reiterate that there's a lot to love about Dune that I haven't listed and that it's a great game.

Just not quite as great as Arkham Horror.

More
05 Oct 2009 11:15 #43838 by Sagrilarus
Tough Choice.

Arkham Horror by a nose.

More
05 Oct 2009 11:19 #43840 by Michael Barnes
It saddens me to see once-proud AT warriors again getting it all wrong. Where are you, legions of Sardaukar terror troops?

"ARKHAM HORROR is for loveplay and cattle!"

More
05 Oct 2009 11:20 #43841 by NeonPeon
Arkham Horror.

I'd have to agonize if it were Arkham Horror vs. Cosmic Encounter...but since I've never played Dune, Arkham Horror wins. :p

More
05 Oct 2009 11:27 - 05 Oct 2009 11:35 #43844 by lj1983
wow, I figured this for a beat down....just not this way.

a long time to go though
Last edit: 05 Oct 2009 11:35 by lj1983.

More
05 Oct 2009 11:33 #43845 by JoelCFC25
I must not vote ARKHAM HORROR.
ARKHAM HORROR is the mind-killer.
ARKHAM HORROR is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face ARKHAM HORROR.
I will permit it to pass over me and into the wastebin.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where ARKHAM HORROR has gone there will be nothing.
Only DUNE will remain.

Vote: DUNE

More
05 Oct 2009 11:34 #43846 by sydo
Dune

It's the best game I have ever played and all my friends love it. We are going to play today so this Trashdome comes at the right time. This is a vote of true ATers from Prague!

More
05 Oct 2009 11:47 #43850 by Black Barney
Which Dune is this? The Hasbro Brothers one with the families and stuff?

Well either way, i find Arkham Horror ridiculously long so my vote is DUNE

More
05 Oct 2009 11:50 #43851 by sydo
I am sure that Mad Dog meant the classic AH Dune.

More
05 Oct 2009 11:50 #43852 by Michael Barnes
There it is,then. Stand up and be counted among the supporters of the Greatest Game of All Time. For a minute I was thinking this was going to be a one-man show. Now let's shut this gate down!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds