October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Galactica VS Twilight Imperium 3rd

More
12 Oct 2009 10:41 #44432 by Bulwyf
TI3 is the paper tiger of AT. It's supposed to be awesome, it's supposed to be epic, it's supposed to be the epitome of the AT movement. In reality it's none of those things. You need the $60 expansion to "fix" it. When we tried it, it was a total flop. Net result was TI3 went straight onto the trade pile.

BSG on the other hand is awesome right out of the box. You don't have to be familiar with the show or with gaming to enjoy it. It's one of the tighest meshes of theme and gameplay of any title since Dune. Oh and it's $40 cheaper than TI3 too.

Vote: BSG

-Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2009 10:50 #44437 by Shellhead
A few months ago, I discovered that there was a local group that played Twilight Imperium once a month, for two years. That group broke up more than a year ago, due to a variety of factors, but I bet I can get the guy who hosted to play some more. Maybe I can rope in a couple of the other players, too. Anyway, any game that can entertain people monthly for a couple of years is a game that has the kind of replay value that I'm looking for.

More
12 Oct 2009 10:54 - 12 Oct 2009 10:56 #44438 by Schweig!
These two games are what my friends and I spent most time on playing. We played TI3 about 10 times and BSG about 20 times. So, sure, both are great games, but BSG is just better.

Especially without the expansion, TI3 often develops into a phony war where all the players are just sitting on their pieces and nobody dares to attack. On the other hand BSG also has "silent" intervals when not attacked by Cylons, but the paranoia is stronger, because the hidden Cylons are actively trying to hurt the others. If a human player is brigged in that period, that's often game deciding.

Again, both are great games, but BSG is more fun. In addition I can play two or three games of BSG in the time one TI3 takes. ;^)

Vote: BSG
Last edit: 12 Oct 2009 10:56 by Schweig!.

More
12 Oct 2009 11:08 #44440 by dave
Simply put, I would rather play a mediocre multi-player conquest game than a great co-op game, and my limited exposure to Dune TI3* makes me think that it's probably better than mediocre.

Vote: Dune TI3

* limited exposure = I have played or hosted PBW TI2 several times

(I expect the quick-playing co-op hot new game to defeat the long-playing multi-player conquest icon... just like last week)

More
12 Oct 2009 11:20 #44442 by blarknob
Shellhead wrote:

A few months ago, I discovered that there was a local group that played Twilight Imperium once a month, for two years. That group broke up more than a year ago, due to a variety of factors, but I bet I can get the guy who hosted to play some more. Maybe I can rope in a couple of the other players, too. Anyway, any game that can entertain people monthly for a couple of years is a game that has the kind of replay value that I'm looking for.

My group plays a game of twilight almost monthly, and we have been playing regularly for about four years now. We thread in new or different games in between them but our anchor game is twilight. Its replay value is incredible.

More
12 Oct 2009 11:35 #44445 by kookoobah
Outrageous. This Trashdome is looking like it's going to end with BSG beating Twilight Imperium 3. What a farce if that would happen.

"Oh no, the Cylons are after us we are doomed!"

Then out comes a War Sun to blow up all the Cylons dead forever.

I can't really say why I don't like BSG. I never really isolated why, in all the 6-7 times I played it, it always felt flat for me. It felt gamey and sure trying to find out who the traitor is is fun, but most of the mechanics felt too gamey. "Oh there's a crisis, let's put cards in and try to make this color number higher" It feels like a trick taking game sometimes. Reminds me of Ticket to Ride to be honest.

On the other hand we have Twilight Imperium 3 which has everything people should look for in an AT game. Dice, negotiation/diplomacy, area control, plastic minis, cards, variable player powers, dudes on a map, alliances, and it all works out like a dream.

I'm not going to change any minds, I know that already, but what a travesty.

More
12 Oct 2009 12:18 #44462 by san il defanso
Okay, let's get a little perspective here. We're talking about a game that is four years old versus one that is one year old. By any reasonable standard both games are Johnny-Come-Lately's.

More
12 Oct 2009 12:21 #44464 by lj1983
i've played BSG, but not TI3.

vote: TI3

More
12 Oct 2009 12:51 #44471 by dave
SanIlDefanso wrote:

Okay, let's get a little perspective here. We're talking about a game that is four years old versus one that is one year old. By any reasonable standard both games are Johnny-Come-Lately's.

TI3's legacy predates its release, thanks to TI2 (and, to a much lesser extent, TI1). While I do acknowledge that a large portion of the TI player base started with TI3, I think that more folks started with the earlier release than in the cases of AH or FoD. I could be wrong, that's just my perception.

More
12 Oct 2009 13:10 #44472 by Aarontu
Vote: TI3

Simply EPIC. Sure it may have some details that everybody can't seem to love, but BSG is no perfect game either.

kookoobah wrote:

Outrageous. This Trashdome is looking like it's going to end with BSG beating Twilight Imperium 3. What a farce if that would happen.

It only LOOKS like BSG is going to win. Come Wednesday, all the flip-flopping sympathizers will come out and vote TI3.

More
12 Oct 2009 13:56 #44480 by southernman
kookoobah wrote:

Oh this is so good to watch.

On the other hand we have Twilight Imperium 3 which has everything people should look for in an AT game. Dice, negotiation/diplomacy, area control, plastic minis, cards, variable player powers, dudes on a map, alliances, and it all works out like a dream.

BSG:
Dice - check.
Neg/dip/blatant lying - check.
Area control - who the frak wants to be like a euro?
Plastic minis - check.
Cards - check.
Variable player powers - check.
DoaM - check.
Alliances - suspicion and backstabbing is muuuucccch better.
FUN - check....MATE.

More
12 Oct 2009 14:02 #44481 by san il defanso

TI3's legacy predates its release, thanks to TI2 (and, to a much lesser extent, TI1). While I do acknowledge that a large portion of the TI player base started with TI3, I think that more folks started with the earlier release than in the cases of AH or FoD. I could be wrong, that's just my perception.

True enough, but it's the Third Edition we are talking about here.

More
12 Oct 2009 14:06 #44482 by Shellhead
Southernman wrote:

What? Do you consider Risk to be like a euro, too?

More
12 Oct 2009 14:46 - 12 Oct 2009 14:46 #44484 by Schweig!
Southernman wrote:

BSG:
Dice - check.
Neg/dip/blatant lying - check.
Plastic minis - check.
Cards - check.
Variable player powers - check.
DoaM - check.
Alliances - suspicion and backstabbing is muuuucccch better.
FUN - check....MATE.

BSG even has alliances, Humans vs. Cylons, and area control, at least when you're Tom Zarek that is.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2009 14:46 by Schweig!.

More
12 Oct 2009 15:36 #44487 by Grudunza

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds