October 09, 2023
2449 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2649 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Galactica VS Twilight Imperium 3rd

More
12 Oct 2009 15:50 #44490 by LilRed
TI3
What the hell is a Galactica?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2009 15:52 #44492 by Shellhead
LilRed wrote:

TI3
What the hell is a Galactica?

It's about one season too long.

More
12 Oct 2009 16:13 #44495 by southernman
Shellhead wrote:

Southernman wrote:

Area control - who the frak wants to be like a euro?

What? Do you consider Risk to be like a euro, too?

I suppose it does have area control - those raiders can't take out the civvies until it gets ownership of the sectors between them and the civvies from the vipers ;-p

More
12 Oct 2009 16:57 #44499 by metalface13
kookoobah wrote:

TI3

BSG is a tedious game that failed to impress me.

Twilight Imperium is the king of all AT.

Except for when it lost to Arkham Horror in a previous Trashdome.

More
12 Oct 2009 17:11 #44503 by DeletedUser
For me, BSG stimulates the emotions more than TI3. I like games where the players are on their feet yelling and whooping. BSG causes this, TI3 hasn't caused this yet.

Vote: BSG

More
12 Oct 2009 18:05 #44505 by shryke
BSG

No question and everyone who voted for TI3 is wrong and stupid.

No game more perfectly captures it's theme in the gameplay. BSG makes you physically feel it's theme. The game's mechanics make you paranoid, jumpy and on the edge of defeat.

More
12 Oct 2009 18:09 #44506 by Shellhead
shryke wrote:

BSG

No game more perfectly captures it's theme in the gameplay. BSG makes you physically feel it's theme. The game's mechanics make you paranoid, jumpy and on the edge of defeat.

I didn't watch the final season, because I had grave concerns about the true theme of the show by the end of the third season. From what I hear, the final season involved angels and farming, and nobody was able to explain why several characters were quoting Jimi Hendrix lyrics in that third season finale.

More
12 Oct 2009 18:15 #44507 by shryke
Shellhead wrote:

shryke wrote:

BSG

I didn't watch the final season, because I had grave concerns about the true theme of the show by the end of the third season. From what I hear, the final season involved angels and farming, and nobody was able to explain why several characters were quoting Jimi Hendrix lyrics in that third season finale.

The final season has great moments and the ending works, but there's some problems. Like any show.

The 4th season being "not worth watching" however, has become a meme on the level of "Al Gore claims he invented the internet".

More
12 Oct 2009 18:23 #44508 by dysjunct
I love the show, even season 4. I also love games with hidden traitors.

Vote: Battlestar Frakkin' Galactica

More
12 Oct 2009 18:45 #44509 by mrmarcus
Shellhead wrote:

I didn't watch the final season, because I had grave concerns about the true theme of the show by the end of the third season. From what I hear, the final season involved angels and farming, and nobody was able to explain why several characters were quoting Jimi Hendrix lyrics in that third season finale.[/quote]

The writers were on lots and lots of acid, man.

More
12 Oct 2009 19:43 #44510 by Tamburlaine
Twilight Imperium is an excellent implementation of a very traditional sort of game. Its roots are very firmly in Risk and Diplomacy (which are not bad places to root) even if its branches have an unseemly dash of Puerto Rico.

Battlestar Galactica, as many have noted, is a unique and powerful game experience. Twilight Imperium is a rather tired idea executed about as well as it could be; BSG is fresh in almost every aspect of its style and substance. No game addresses the sort psychological and political issues BSG does because they're not the sort of things that come naturally to games as a medium. We've been saying it's special for a while, and that doesn't make it less true.

VOTE: Battlestar Galatica

More
12 Oct 2009 20:07 - 12 Oct 2009 20:08 #44513 by Mr Skeletor
Vote: TI3.

Because Aliens set of conquests of solar systems are much better than emos on a space ship.

EDIT: and anyone who things the ending of the series worked does not get a vote.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2009 20:08 by Mr Skeletor.

More
12 Oct 2009 20:40 #44514 by The Expanding Man
I've had 2 games of BSG. Crucify me, but I prefer Shadows over Camelot for a co-op game with a traitor mechanic.

The TV series is OK for a TV series. Can't hold a candle to Firefly, though.

Yet to play TI3.

I'll abstain my vote on this one.

More
12 Oct 2009 20:55 #44516 by OldHippy
No question whatsoever. BSG is a soap opera for geeks. It's better then it should be, it's also forgettable.

The game is a work of genius though. I really enjoy BSG as a game and I love how it is about nothing but the meta-game. I really like the tension it creates. The game itself though... outside of what we bring to it... is really bare. Almost naked. There isn't much game there and normally that wouldn't be a problem... but it's competing against TI3.. the mother of all area control conflict AT games and that is a very important genre. That is a genre that makes gamers. TI3 has all the emotion of BSG, and way more game. TI3 makes us act like people I don't know, it's exciting to have down time in TI3 because I look over my tech tree, or make devious plans... the alliances aren't pre-determined like they are in BSG. In BSG I am either a cylon or a human (plus the sympathizer) but my role is determined by someone other then me, a card draw. This is unacceptable.

I make my own destiny.

I vote TI3... it still deserves the crown after all these years.

More
12 Oct 2009 21:49 #44517 by kookoobah
metalface13 wrote:

kookoobah wrote:

TI3

BSG is a tedious game that failed to impress me.

Twilight Imperium is the king of all AT.

Except for when it lost to Arkham Horror in a previous Trashdome.

That was a bit of farce too. But I can live with that, since I actually enjoy Arkham Horror from time to time.

But this? Do you know how much this game sucks? I actually traded away this game BEFORE I traded away my Battlelore. Battlelore > BSG

The minis in BSG don't even do anything. The raptors?

"Oh and these are the raptors, aren't they awesome, they look exactly like the ones in the show."

"What do they do? Do they fly around and look for stuff?"

"We sacrifice them when the card says we do."

PFfffft.

It seems obvious that the same sentiment during the AH vs TI3 trashdome is felt here. Pansy ass co-op/semi co-op games are received much better than hardcore direct conlict masterpieces. They want somebody to hold their hand while they play like a grandma crossing the street. Why?

Because people are stupid and they have sand in their vaginas.

Vote TI3.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.474 seconds