October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Twilight Struggle VS War Of The Ring

More
25 Oct 2009 13:47 #45418 by mrmarcus
Notahandle wrote:

dysjunct wrote:
" This "trashgate" is complete bullshit being perpetrated by stealth Eurotards who can't stand to see an area control game lose."
Your implication that TS is a Euro is complete bullshit.

It is a Euro! It's got Europe in it, right? ;)

Perhaps we need a good one-sided hate-fest... Cosmic Encounter vs. (Euro-Flavor-of-the-Month)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Oct 2009 16:52 #45419 by Schweig!
Power Grid
vs.
Awful Green Things From Outer Space

(pun intended)

More
25 Oct 2009 17:07 #45421 by JoshBot
Schweig! wrote:

Power Grid
vs.
Awful Green Things From Outer Space

(pun intended)

That would be a tough call. Both games are great.

More
25 Oct 2009 17:49 #45422 by dysjunct
Notahandle wrote:

dysjunct wrote:
" This "trashgate" is complete bullshit being perpetrated by stealth Eurotards who can't stand to see an area control game lose."
Your implication that TS is a Euro is complete bullshit.

I know!

More
25 Oct 2009 19:16 #45427 by Notahandle
mrmarcus wrote:
" It is a Euro! It's got Europe in it, right? ;)"
Using that logic WotR must be a Euro as well because it has the Isen, which is also a river in Upper Baveria .

dysjunct wrote:
" I know!"
Well that's what we're here for . . . talking bullshit.

More
23 Nov 2009 04:43 #47690 by kookoobah
Finally got to play Twilight Struggle over the weekend. Won both my games, the first one against the person who was teaching me the game, I beat him because he either underestimated me or let me win, and I took over Europe and won on turn 4.

2nd game I played, I taught it to my friend (this was after a 5-hour Twilight Imperium break) and I think he enjoyed it, even though it was pretty lopsided.

I really really like the game. I love the fact that it feels like War of the Ring in the sense that the cards mirror what really happened, and it's pretty much a what could've been scenario.

It feels a little gamier and a bit more forced sometimes. Also, the it feels very railroaded, like you're on a track that you must follow. Maybe it's because the game is just new to me, but it feels like you are basically forced to react to your opponent's posturing, because if he isn't, you're pretty screwed when the scoring card comes out.

War of the Ring feels a lot less forced since there are more options on what to do. The Shadow can attack Rohan or Minas Tirith or Dol Amroth or the DEW-Line or even go for Lorien, it feels wide open. Whereas in Twilight Struggle, the early game is strictly 0 action in the Americas and Africa. I guess this is a function of the story they are developing, but it feels a bit restrictive. YMMV

Pros for TS are the super easy setup and the simple rules, it's a refreshing change from the epic massive scope of WotR, but then again, that's what's really going for WotR -- the sheer epicness of it all.

Vote remains unchanged: War of the Ring

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds