October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Twilight Struggle VS War Of The Ring

More
19 Oct 2009 10:16 #45032 by Aarontu
Schweig! wrote:

Twilight Struggle on the other hand side has more variety. The novice WotR player might attempt a military victory with the Free People, but otherwise the game runs more or less on rails. The Free People player rushes the fellowship forward sacrificing everyone to avoid corruption, while the Evil Player tries to conquer first Helm's Deep and then Minas Tirith. In Twilight Struggle each side can attempt to dominate or control the different continents. Seemingly lost games can also end by a sudden defcon drop to 1, when one player makes a mistake.

I thought experienced players usually left Minas Tirith alone, as the Free People's can easily fortify it to the point of it not being worth fighting for, while Lorien and the Dwarven cities are much easier targets.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2009 11:55 #45039 by Black Barney
yeah, I'm not sure when Helm's Deep became the first target. First target should be DEW or Lorien, in my opinion. Minas Tirith is too tough. Dol Amroth is way easier with Pelargir a nice bonus.

I agree that Twilight Struggle has far more variety tho

in a more embrassing footnote, I played War of the Ring last night as Freeps and my wife took Minas Tirith from me. gah

More
19 Oct 2009 12:25 #45047 by Schweig!
Only pussies don't attack Minas Tirith and instead go off to kill some dwarfs and elves. Small and wispy people - take on somebody your size!

More
19 Oct 2009 12:57 #45050 by Columbob
Minas Tirith is a popular choice to attack because of the hordes of Shadow troops right on its doorstep.

More
19 Oct 2009 13:12 #45056 by scissors
These are both fantastic games but only one has Grond splintering the gates of Minas Tirith or aaiiiieee a Balrog!

Tom Bombadil getting ripped to shreds by the Nine.

Gandalf coming back from the dead.

(Ok, Tom Bombadil doesn't get ripped to shreds, that was wishful thinking).

Twilight Struggle is a favourite for both game play and theme (love Cold War stuff) but it will be buried in this match-up. Doom doom doom!

More
19 Oct 2009 13:13 #45057 by scissors
Er, oh yeah...

VOTE: War of the Ring

More
19 Oct 2009 13:30 #45062 by grimnir
Twilight Struggle started strong for me but after a few playings it felt a bit samey. I like the theme but something about the back and forth of influence placement gets old (and even more so in 1960:tMotP).

War of the Ring is in my top 5 favorite games. I have never played a game that comes down so frequently to games ending where the other player can say, "If I had just one more turn, I would have won." Great tension and dripping with theme.
Play balance-wise, it's pro-Shadow in the base game, perhaps 65-35. The game shines with the expansion and changes to pro-Shadow 55-45.
It plays best with 2 but has the flexibility to play with 3 or 4 which is a GREAT way to teach the game to new players. Adding players also makes the game easier for the Fellowship.
Time-wise, I regularly play 2-player games in 3 hours -- perfect for an evening.

Vote: War of the Ring

More
19 Oct 2009 17:25 #45086 by DeletedUser
Vote: Twilight Struggle

More
19 Oct 2009 18:23 #45091 by KingPut
When I play the WotR I tend to stick closely to book as far as strategy. As Shadow I like to knock off Helms Deep First while it's weak. Than I go for Minas Tirith. It's not the most optimum strategy but I kind of feel cheap and dirty going for DEW and the Elves. With the base game this strategy works pretty good. But with the expansion, the damn Ents get in the way.

More
19 Oct 2009 18:41 #45092 by jur
WotR has a more epic feeling to it, not the elegance of TS. WotR makes you want to write a session report, TS makes you want to read a book on the Cold War.

Which makes WotR the superior game

More
19 Oct 2009 19:11 #45101 by Mr Skeletor
vOTE: wAR OF THE RING.

ts NEVER REALLY DID ANYTHING FOR ME.

Opps, capslock.

More
20 Oct 2009 06:04 #45113 by southernman
Black Barney wrote:

...in a more embrassing footnote, I played War of the Ring last night as Freeps and my wife took Minas Tirith from me. gah

Now the REAL reason for his vote against WotR is coming thru ... if he loses to the wife then it's a poor game !!

SHAME SHAME SHAME on you, letting a great game take the hit for your ego.

More
20 Oct 2009 10:04 #45115 by Black Barney
nonono! I didn't lose! She only took Minas Tirith from me. In fact, I think I won because she spent so many resources trying to take the toughest Stronghold in the game.

just got 1960 in the mail yesterday. Can't wait to try it. I hear it makes you appreciate TS even more!

More
20 Oct 2009 10:41 #45118 by Ken B.
1960 is boring, repetitive, and surprisingly static. TS is waaaaaaaaaay better.

Not better than f'n WAR OF THE RING, but still.

More
20 Oct 2009 16:05 #45135 by Scooter Jones
Twilight Struggle.....but I must say that this one was very, very, close.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.253 seconds