October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - DungeonQuest VS Descent: JitD

More
01 Nov 2009 02:46 #45867 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2009 08:12 #45872 by Mr Skeletor
VOTE DESCENT!

Dungeon Quest is going to win this proving beyond all doubt the world is fucked.

More
01 Nov 2009 09:12 #45879 by mjl1783
I wouldn't count on it, Skelly. OoP games have a pretty poor track record against newer titles in the dome. That said, this is a tough call.

DungeonQuest is one of those games that I've been playing since I was in 1st grade, and I've always pretty much hated it. While I've had some games of it that were really fun, more often than not, everyone just wanders around getting their asses kicked until the sun goes down. Last time I played the game, I was that chick with the dragon, and I went through nothing but empty rooms until I got two squares away from the treasure pile. Then I encountered a snake, rolled for damage, and my character died instantly. That kind of thing is usually funny, but I don't like that to be the majority of my games.

Descent has a similar problem. Sometimes it's awesome, but usually it's slow, dull, and pointless. As much as the game is praised for its "tactical" gameplay, we always end up using the same strategy in %90 of combat situations. A lot of the scenarios pretty much suck, too. Either they give the good guys some nice treasure cards right off the bat so most of the overlord's monsters can't even damage the heroes, or they just introduce some bullshit special rule that makes the game almost impossible to win for them (your sword kills you, the roof is collapsing, the boss can only be killed by a boulder, etc.).

I don't know. I guess it ain't saying much, but the times I've had fun with Descent seem to outnumber the times I've had fun with Dungeonquest, so...

Vote: Descent

More
01 Nov 2009 10:34 #45883 by NeonPeon
Dungeonquest because it's pure fun, even if a bit silly.

More
01 Nov 2009 10:47 #45884 by dysjunct

More
01 Nov 2009 16:23 - 01 Nov 2009 16:23 #45893 by metalface13
If a game like Betrayal can win in Trashdome, a game that barely functions 25% of the time, then a game like Descent that at times is slow and dull but never pointless should be able to win. Right? Right? Maybe I'm just kidding myself.

Either way, it doesn't matter. I'll love Descent until the day I die. It's got a number of characters, weapons, items, treasure, skills, monsters, traps and layout possibilities that only Arkham Horror can match. It's got a lot of crap in those boxes. And all of it is awesome.

If you can't handle the analysis paralysis and just jump in there and wreck shiz then go back to playing Puerto Rico. Your games won't be slow and dull then.

Vote: Descent
Last edit: 01 Nov 2009 16:23 by metalface13.

More
01 Nov 2009 16:36 #45894 by mjl1783
It's got a number of characters, weapons, items, treasure, skills, monsters, traps and layout possibilities that only Arkham Horror can match.

Utterly irrelevent.

More
01 Nov 2009 17:20 #45896 by Zimeon
Descent might be a blast, but is runs much too heavily. With all the stuff that rides on it, it clogs down too much and it feels more like a shooter than a dungeon delver. If I want tactical minis combat, I go for Space Hulk. Dungeonquest is just a blast from square one. I'll be surprised as hell if DQ wins, but

Vote: Dungeonquest.

More
01 Nov 2009 17:33 #45898 by Mr Skeletor
Steve Weeks said if Descent wins he is nuking his account.

More
01 Nov 2009 20:31 #45906 by KingPut
DungeonQuest is a pretty fun game when I've had 3 or 12 beers and a couple shots of whiskey.

but Descent is just a better all-round game from variety, to components, to depth.

My Vote is Descent.

More
01 Nov 2009 21:28 #45908 by Aarontu
Vote: DungeonQuest

It doesn't beat around the bush before killing you.

The sun has set. You have walked into the fangs of a ravenous grue!

More
01 Nov 2009 21:29 #45909 by Ancient_of_MuMu
No question: Dungeonquest It is a classic for a reason.

More
01 Nov 2009 21:43 #45911 by Not Sure
Aarontu wrote:

It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

> inventory

Your bag contains a grue. You have been eaten by a grue.

Would you like to play again? (y/n)

>

More
01 Nov 2009 22:09 - 01 Nov 2009 22:09 #45912 by Aarontu
Not Sure wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

> inventory

Your bag contains a grue. You have been eaten by a grue.

>

It's like DungeonQuest!

You are in the Southeastern tower of Castle Dragonfire. The large door to the Southeast leads out of the castle.

Exits are North, West, and Southeast

> W

You have fallen into a bottomless pit!

Your final score was: 0

>
Last edit: 01 Nov 2009 22:09 by Aarontu.

More
02 Nov 2009 08:59 #45918 by Sagrilarus
Descent, in spite of its foibles, is a rich game. I always enjoy the play. It's also relatively easy to cheat as the Overlord.

Descent

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds