October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - DungeonQuest VS Descent: JitD

More
02 Nov 2009 09:35 #45919 by Columbob
Descent sure is flawed and suffers from unbalanced scenarios (not too easy to balance this type of game anyways), and tends to run for too long, but it still kicks ass, it's fun, it's got great components, and it's very well supported by FFG with new expansions coming out every year.

I've never played DungeonQuest and I wouldn't hunt down a used copy either.

Vote: Descent

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2009 09:36 #45920 by blarknob

More
02 Nov 2009 11:09 #45926 by Matt Thrower
Ahahaha, Dungeonquest by a mile. In many way it's the embodiment of Ameritrash, compacted into an hour.

If you're playing Descent, as far as I can see then you might as well be - and are probably better off - playing an RPG and using the figures and the board to map your dungeons. That's assuming you can find the 26 spare hours in every day to you need to actually get enough play time in to make a satisfying game.

More
02 Nov 2009 11:35 #45933 by OldHippy
Dungeonquest would not sell today. It is dated and it shows. Descent may be the best non-RPG Dungeon crawl I've ever played... flaws??!? It's still the best at what it does. This is not even a contest..

vote: Descent

More
02 Nov 2009 11:50 #45939 by OldHippy
Actually, I've got more to say about Descent.

Descent is the game I dreamed about as a child. Literally. The production, the long play time (you can't do this properly in an hour or two), the equipment, the variety of monsters and hero's, the expansions... everything about it. I feel nostalgic just playing it and it's not because I remember this game from when I was young... I don't. It's because it's as good as I remember the old dungeon crawlers being. They aren't that good though when you finally break them back out again. Descent makes me nostalgic for games that were never that good to begin with. It makes me feel like I'm a kid again. Just looking at that kick ass dragon gives me cumgasms. It's exactly what I would fantasize about with my buddies; "Hey, wouldn't it be awesome if there was a game with really cool pieces and this complex rule set that allows us to do...." Well, it's here now, Descent is here, and you won't find a better dungeon crawl unless you prefer chips to a steak.

More
02 Nov 2009 11:54 #45941 by Ken B.
Dungeonquest is mean, random, and fun. A real laugh-generator as the game mercilessly turns the screws on you.

Descent is a benchmark release and a future classic. Truly the game you dreamed of someone releasing when you were younger.

VOTE: Descent

More
02 Nov 2009 11:59 - 02 Nov 2009 11:59 #45943 by Matt Thrower
Ken B. wrote:

Truly the game you dreamed of someone releasing when you were younger.

That's the second time we've seen a comment like that, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

And the reason? Because "when you were younger" is the only period in your life when you'd realistically have time to play the thing.

Stop living in the past, people. Get with reality. Vote for a game you can pull out and enjoy to its full potential every time you play. Hell, vote for a game you're actually going to get to play once in a while. Vote Dungeonquest.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2009 11:59 by Matt Thrower.

More
02 Nov 2009 12:04 #45945 by Michael Barnes
Look, DESCENT is a great game and all, but this is no contest. DUNGEONQUEST is clearly the superior game in every regard.

DESCENT may take you five hours to get through two rooms. In DUNGEONQUEST, you can sometimes find out the outcome on the first tile draw, when you pull the bottomless pit. The combat in DUNGEONQUEST is more fun and compact, the trap rooms provide a lot of surprise and drama, and getting in and out before sundown adds a cool race/timing element.

Don't confuse "stuff" with depth or richness.

More
02 Nov 2009 12:10 #45947 by OldHippy
MattDP wrote:

Ken B. wrote:

That's the second time we've seen a comment like that, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

And the reason? Because "when you were younger" is the only period in your life when you'd realistically have time to play the thing.

Stop living in the past, people. Get with reality. Vote for a game you can pull out and enjoy to its full potential every time you play. Hell, vote for a game you're actually going to get to play once in a while. Vote Dungeonquest.

Stop living in the past?? Who's voting for the 20 year old game here? Dungeonquest wasn't even good when I was a kid. Stop this cult of the old, OOP worshippers and vote for the game that will bring the next generation of gamers up, the game that people will still play and buy, like you did when you were a kid and actually loved playing games and not just pontificating about them with nerds on the net. The game that will make children go through what you went through... only better. The game that is saving childhood. Vote Descent!

More
02 Nov 2009 13:02 #45954 by metalface13
JonJacob wrote:

MattDP wrote:

Ken B. wrote:

Stop living in the past?? Who's voting for the 20 year old game here? Dungeonquest wasn't even good when I was a kid. Stop this cult of the old, OOP worshippers and vote for the game that will bring the next generation of gamers up, the game that people will still play and buy, like you did when you were a kid and actually loved playing games and not just pontificating about them with nerds on the net. The game that will make children go through what you went through... only better. The game that is saving childhood. Vote Descent!

AMEN!

More
02 Nov 2009 13:04 #45955 by metalface13

If you're playing Descent, as far as I can see then you might as well be - and are probably better off - playing an RPG and using the figures and the board to map your dungeons.

I'm sick of this crappy argument. You know what, if you want to move a bunch of plastic figures around a board to kill dragons and get treasure then play Descent! If you want to develop a character and tell stories and use your imagination THEN you go and play an RPG. The proper way where props are only used as set dressing rather than how you play the game.

That's assuming you can find the 26 spare hours in every day to you need to actually get enough play time in to make a satisfying game.

Yeah, that's why we play board games rather than roleplaying games.

More
02 Nov 2009 13:06 #45956 by metalface13
Also, if I want to play a "press your luck" game I'll play Can't Stop or Incan Gold.

More
02 Nov 2009 13:18 #45958 by Michael Barnes
Wow, the generation gap thing comes up again...so we've got a bunch of middle-agers going through their mid-life crisis and buying the new Corvette (DESCENT) in a vain attempt to stay young forever versus genuinely youthful, young, and sexy people who acknowledge that DUNGEONQUEST is timeless and always great because it always has been.

I think when I get around to designing a game, I'm going to make it abnormally long and put ONE MILLION components in it. That will guarantee that people think it's great.

More
02 Nov 2009 13:30 #45959 by Aarontu
Descent is sort of like the game kids only wished existed.

(after the end of a 6 hour Monopoly game)
Kid: "It's over already!? Let's play again!"

Seriously, it takes, like, 4 hours to clear a room of 5 skeletons.

More
02 Nov 2009 13:46 #45960 by metalface13
Aarontu wrote:

Descent is sort of like the game kids only wished existed.

(after the end of a 6 hour Monopoly game)
Kid: "It's over already!? Let's play again!"

Seriously, it takes, like, 4 hours to clear a room of 5 skeletons.

Yeah, if you SUCK!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds