October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Cosmic Encounter VS Titan

More
09 Nov 2009 14:01 #46542 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2009 14:11 #46545 by mrmarcus
Duh. Titan sucks.

Cosmic Encounter

More
09 Nov 2009 14:44 #46552 by jeb
COSMIC is a Euro.

Vote: TITAN

More
09 Nov 2009 15:01 #46557 by Michael Barnes
Easy vote- COSMIC all the way.

The last time I played TITAN, the new Valley Games edition, I realized that I would never play it again.

It is one of the very few games out there that I think has really sort of become obsolete. At this stage, the game is simply a relic. It's outmoded and outdated in the worst ways. Sure, there's no game that recaptures the key concepts right (the terrain-based mustering, the Titan in-game ego, the battleboard combat) but between the excessive playtime, overly fussy rules that sort of betray the whole "monster slugathon" idea and the- YES- abstract nature of the game...I think I'll pass. I had fun with it back in the day, I loved it and still think it's one of the greats, but it's time to put it out to pasture.

Granted, I can see playing it online and it being great as a PBEM game. But face to face- no fucking way.

COSMIC on the other hand is timeless, it's one of the very few perfect games ever created. It literally embodies everything that is good in gaming. Anyone who doesn't vote for COSMIC...well, I'm not sure that you really like games to begin with.

But what we're going to see happen here is that TITAN will become a banner for those who hold it out as some kind of "cred" thing that they still play it and are voting for it. They'll attack COSMIC voters and levy accusations of Eurogaming. They'll try to make you believe that playing a 12 hour game and endlessly rolling a D6 is the true spirit of Ameritrash. Don't believe them. COSMIC is the true AT choice here. Vote with your heart.

More
09 Nov 2009 15:03 #46559 by blarknob
COSMIC

This is a total mismatch.

More
09 Nov 2009 15:25 #46561 by san il defanso
You're kidding, right? Cosmic Encounter might be the wildest game ever. It has almost limitless variability, constant interaction, bizarre swings of luck, and direct confrontation. What could be more AT than that? We talk a lot about emergent gameplay, and Cosmic Encounter is most emergent of all.

Cosmic Encounter

More
09 Nov 2009 15:28 #46563 by Shellhead
I'm not even interested in trying Titan. Between the garish board, the hideous downtime and the painfully long endgame, I wouldn't even be able to talk people into a second game, let alone finish the first one.

Cosmic Encounter is great. Light, easy rules and a very reasonable play length, with heavy interaction and high replay value.

Vote: Cosmic Encounter.

More
09 Nov 2009 15:28 #46564 by dragonstout
COSMIC ENCOUNTER

Never played Titan because it's always looked much too abstract to me to be fun. I can only stand abstract-ish games for short periods of time, which Titan would not be. Cosmic Encounter, on the other hand, is the most fun board game I've ever played.

More
09 Nov 2009 15:41 #46567 by NeonPeon
I only read "Cosmic Encounter VS ..."

Vote: Cosmic Encounter

More
09 Nov 2009 15:51 - 09 Nov 2009 15:52 #46569 by Columbob
Vote: Cosmic Encounter

Never played Titan, probably never will, although I wouldn't mind trying it out.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2009 15:52 by Columbob.

More
09 Nov 2009 16:26 - 09 Nov 2009 16:27 #46572 by Zimeon
Vote: Cosmic Encounter.

I know nothing of Titan except the title. And if that game hasn't appealed tu mo superiour tastes, it must mean that it's not as good as CE. Clearly.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2009 16:27 by Zimeon.

More
09 Nov 2009 16:28 #46573 by Aarontu
Never played either. Would like to try Cosmic Encounter. I hear its pretty good.

More
09 Nov 2009 16:39 #46577 by Juniper
I was going to make a lame pun about the Warp board in Cosmic Encounter, but fuck it.

vote: COSMIC ENCOUNTER

More
09 Nov 2009 17:08 #46582 by Michael Barnes
Oof, not even 24 hours into this Trashdome and it's already looking really, really bad for OLD MAN TITAN. I'm afraid he might break his hip!

But it won't be long before Matt Thrower gets in here and casts his vote for it, so at least Jeb won't be lonely at the pity party.

More
09 Nov 2009 17:25 - 09 Nov 2009 17:27 #46588 by Hatchling
Are games separable from the people we play them with?

What sets Titan apart is that unlike other boardgames this one for me comes with a live human host, a gamer I know who acts as the master of ceremonies, moving things along, providing little tips and warnings, facilitating battles and so on. And he does it with his usual wit, wry humour and undying enthusiasm for the game. I only play face to face Titan with this guy. Each time the game has reached an unsurpassed pitch of suspense and excitement. I hope one day I will know the game well enough to be able to facilitate it in the same way for other players.

Vote: Titan
Last edit: 09 Nov 2009 17:27 by Hatchling.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds