October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2694 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Cosmic Encounter VS Titan

More
10 Nov 2009 13:10 #46684 by NeonPeon
OK, fair enough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2009 15:48 #46695 by Hex Sinister
I don't even know why I keep my old copy of Titan around anymore. I'll never break it out on game night again. Ironically, I think it's a very good as a COMPUTER GAME. The AI in Colossus is fucking retarded but it's fun to play with the variants. All the slow, boring crap is resolved in seconds.

I'd like some opinions whether I should upgrade my old Mayfair edition CE to the new FFG version. Is it worth it?

Vote: Cosmic E.

More
10 Nov 2009 15:52 #46696 by ChristopherMD
Wow! This TD has really dispelled the myth of Titan for me. I always suspected it was overrated and this seems to be confirming that. Still kind of surprised that it isn't doing better.

More
10 Nov 2009 15:57 #46699 by Michael Barnes
Valley Games copy of TITAN- new, complete, punched, played once. $50 shipped to a US address. PM if interested!

More
10 Nov 2009 16:46 #46703 by NeonPeon
Good thing you're not in sales Barnes..."This game sucks! Anyone want to buy it?"

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of the weird-ass Titan map? My only experience with the game is a few confused minutes on Colossus. Could it conceivably work on a sensible, 2-D map, like a normal wargame? I'm sure the map opens up all kinds of unintuitive strategies that I'm unaware of, but the come on, the game is supposed to be a MONSTER SLUGATHON!

More
10 Nov 2009 17:17 #46707 by Michael Barnes
It's really more like a MONSTER FIGUREOUTYOURMOVEATHON. I'm sure tired old men, in between bouts of flagging virility and interest in model trains, have all of these optimal routes and where to go when you roll what in particular spaces, most efficient mustering paths, and all that. Much like a Eurogame.

More
10 Nov 2009 19:03 #46717 by kookoobah
Meh. How did Titan ever beat Heroscape? What a load of bullshit that trashdome was.

More
10 Nov 2009 19:36 #46723 by Hex Sinister
kookoobah wrote:

Meh. How did Titan ever beat Heroscape? What a load of bullshit that trashdome was.

QFT.

More
10 Nov 2009 19:47 #46729 by Mr Skeletor
This is like the most epic battle of the most overratted games on FAT. This should have been a 3 way with Dune for the crown, which George Lucas could have personally handed out.

More
10 Nov 2009 19:47 #46730 by HiveGod
The Titan board looks like some kind of crazy reflexology chart, or one of those crystal rubbin', UFO-humpin', too-many-cats-havin' color/mood/alternate dimensions of feelings poster.

Cosmic, on the other hand, makes grown men cuss like nine-year-old Halo players.

VOTE: COSMIC

More
11 Nov 2009 04:15 #46743 by Matt Thrower
NeonPeon wrote:

Can anyone explain to me the purpose of the weird-ass Titan map? My only experience with the game is a few confused minutes on Colossus. Could it conceivably work on a sensible, 2-D map, like a normal wargame?

Titan would never work on a "standard" map. The weird map is there for two reasons. First it adds a surprising amount of maneuver elements to a game which has dice-based movement, because the board is full of patterns that you need to learn to navigate properly to get where you want to go. Second it stops all the usual kingmaking and kill-the-leader stuff because it stops you hunting down particular legions - you have to follow the patterns rather than going straight for the kill, and make a risk/reward decision whenever you do get the chance to attack something.

More
11 Nov 2009 07:56 #46750 by bfkiller
Jeez, I guess I should be glad I never got too caught up in the hype for Titan's re-release and put down the cash for the Valley Games edition. At the time, everyone here was talking about how its a seminal game, an important classic, and that this would be a must-buy, definitive edition. Now some of those same people are calling it dated, a relic, and not worth playing in the current age. Weird. What changed in a year?

More
11 Nov 2009 08:12 #46752 by maka
the barefoot killer wrote:

Jeez, I guess I should be glad I never got too caught up in the hype for Titan's re-release and put down the cash for the Valley Games edition. At the time, everyone here was talking about how its a seminal game, an important classic, and that this would be a must-buy, definitive edition. Now some of those same people are calling it dated, a relic, and not worth playing in the current age. Weird. What changed in a year?

Easy. They became eurogamers :p

More
11 Nov 2009 09:49 #46764 by NeonPeon
MattDP wrote:

NeonPeon wrote:
Titan would never work on a "standard" map. The weird map is there for two reasons. First it adds a surprising amount of maneuver elements to a game which has dice-based movement, because the board is full of patterns that you need to learn to navigate properly to get where you want to go. Second it stops all the usual kingmaking and kill-the-leader stuff because it stops you hunting down particular legions - you have to follow the patterns rather than going straight for the kill, and make a risk/reward decision whenever you do get the chance to attack something.

Hmm. Guess I'd have to get into it to fully understand.

More
11 Nov 2009 16:32 #46801 by doubleozaphod
Vote: COSMIC ENCOUNTER

It hasn't let me down yet - and that's regardless of whether I've played it with complete gaming newbs or with TWILIGHT IMPERIUM veterans.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds