October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Age Of Conan VS Android

More
15 Nov 2009 22:58 #47082 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2009 23:08 #47084 by Space Ghost
I have to get my vote in early since I am getting ready to go on vacation. The clear choice is Vote: Android. The game is very innovative in many aspects, while Conan is just rehashed DoaM.

More
15 Nov 2009 23:51 #47087 by The Expanding Man
Interestnig match-up. So which red-headed step-child will get slapped the hardest?

I've played half a game of Android. We had too many players for a first game, and none of us had played before. It was an unpleasant experience, with too much down time and too much rules/mechanics confusion, and we gave up before the end of the first week. Not one of the 5 players wanted to continue.

Nevertheless, I do want to play it again, in better circumstances.

Age of Conan - I've no real desire to play this.

Vote: Android

More
16 Nov 2009 00:41 #47089 by dysjunct
People will still be talking about Android in a decade because of what it tried and failed. No one will be talking about Age of Conan in a decade because of what it tried and succeeded at.

More
16 Nov 2009 00:42 #47090 by KingPut
Great match up. Both games I recently been deleted from my collection.

Age of Conan, I bought last spring and played it once and I'd like to play once more sometime in the future but it's the type of game that I'd probably always decide to play some else instead instead. So last week somebody offered me Hannibal for AoC so I made the trade while I had the chance to get something of excellent value. Now I can make sure I know the Hannibal rules pretty good so I can play online.

I traded Ticket to Ride for Android this summer. I've played Android 4 times and I've enjoyed it so far. But I decided to sell Android at discount($30.00) to one of the guys in my gaming group who really loved Android. This works out pretty good for me. I'll still get to play Android with him or Uba or somebody else but I don't need to own the game and deal with the set up and details of the rules when I play.

Android is much more innovative and unique than AoC. When I saw 3 people setting up Android at Euroquest I found myself really wanting to play it. When I saw somebody at Euroquest carrying an AoC game, I found myself with little or no interest playing it again.

My vote is Android

More
16 Nov 2009 01:33 #47092 by rocketkiwi
When I first played Android on a store demo copy, I pulled out the tired bullshit about how it was a game I "wanted to like." With the passage of time and addition of a few more plays, I discovered that I didn't "want to like it." I did like it. The theme is right in my wheelhouse and while it may be a lot of different game elements hammered together, I like all of those elements and how they can each be a valid avenue to victory. It's not a game I'll play with anybody anytime, but it's a game I love to play.

Android.

More
16 Nov 2009 03:21 #47094 by OldHippy
I would like to vote for Age of Conan, I do like the game. I like the action dice, I like moving Conan, I like the cards, the buildings, the objectives...

I haven't even played Android, I have no plan to buy it anytime to soon, but the instructions were fascinating and the game sounds really fucking interesting. I can' help myself...

vote: Android

More
16 Nov 2009 03:31 #47095 by Grudunza
dysjunct wrote:

People will still be talking about Android in a decade because of what it tried and failed. No one will be talking about Age of Conan in a decade because of what it tried and succeeded at.

I'll vote for Android just because of that quote. Clever.

More
16 Nov 2009 04:19 #47097 by maka
I've played both games. One, I've felt compelled to play over and over again, the other one not.

AoC seems like it could be a good game (especially with more than 2 players, which I've yet to try), but Android really clicked with me and I'm enjoying every single time we play.

For me Android is a success and not only it is innovative, but fun to play even with 2 players. I didn't find it overcomplicated and to me all different aspects of its gameplay mesh well. The story aspect with the plot cards feels fresh and adds interesting decisions to the game.

Vote: Android

More
16 Nov 2009 08:42 #47100 by mrmarcus
Android

It may not be the best game out there, but it does everything so differently I can't help but to admire it. And I think it's a fun game to boot.

More
16 Nov 2009 09:07 #47101 by Columbob
Interesting matchup, as both of these games have had a very lukewarm reception.

I'd like to try Android, but I have no interest in buying it at all and I don't expect to get to play it anytime soon.

I have Age of Conan, I've played it 3-4 times with 3-4 players, and I enjoyed it. Not as exciting as War of the Ring, but it does play fairly quickly (3-4 hours max), it has many interesting parts and fun decisions to make, and we all liked it enough that I'll keep it for a good while yet.

Vote: Age of Conan

More
16 Nov 2009 09:14 #47102 by panzerattack
Age of Conan isn't great but Android is boring!

Vote: Age of Conan

More
16 Nov 2009 09:42 #47108 by Shellhead
I've heard two contradictory complaints about Android, sometimes from the same player:

1. There is too much to keep track of,

and

2. There is too much downtime.

Well, that's because some people are lazy dumbasses, and can't handle a game that requires their full attention. When it isn't your turn in Android, you should be watching the dark cards in your hand for chances to pounce on other players. You should also be keeping an eye on the conspiracy puzzle, even after completed, to know what plays will be worth extra points. Try to remember who is putting clues on which suspects, and if somebody is working the mystery hard, starting slapping hits on their preferred suspect. And try to start planning out your next turn before it's your turn. That way the game will go faster and you will make good use of your downtime. Otherwise, I will easily beat you.

Vote: Android.

More
16 Nov 2009 10:29 #47110 by Michael Barnes
I actually _like_ AGE OF CONAN better than ANDROID as a whole, but ANDROID was reaching for the stars while AGE OF CONAN was digging in the dirt.

ANDROID gets the vote for being one of the more maverick designs of the past 10 years. I've got a lot more respect for a daring designer and game that takes some pretty huge risks with concept and mechanics than those that simply shuffle mechanics around and arrive at a themed game.

But yeah, AGE OF CONAN would be the one I'd actually play again out of the two.

More
16 Nov 2009 10:36 #47112 by scissors
Vote: Android. Because more than a game it's a work of 'art'.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds