October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2708 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Age Of Conan VS Android

More
16 Nov 2009 11:46 #47120 by san il defanso
I'd go with Android. I've never played AoC, but nothing about the game looks interesting to me. Android isn't an amazing game, but it swings for the fence, so that's something.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Nov 2009 12:45 #47127 by Bulwyf
Neither game is worth my money. Quite simply they just are't good enough.

vote - Pass

-Will

More
16 Nov 2009 13:01 #47129 by HiveGod
The Expanding Man wrote:

[Android] was an unpleasant experience, with too much down time and too much rules/mechanics confusion, and we gave up before the end of the first week.

I love how when people say this it makes it sound like the game really took a week!

Vote: Android

Because when your victim died by being clubbed to death against the ceiling it probably wasn't Colonel Mustard. And yer gonna need to bust out the rocket launcher to serve that warrant on a 300-lb. Luv-Luv Bot™.

More
16 Nov 2009 13:31 #47136 by mads b.
I've had ANDROID for almost a year and I'm dying to try it. But with our first kid taking up almost all our time we just haven't found an opportunity to whip it out. And it's a shame, because just reading about it makes me wanna play. Yep, there sure is a lot going on and not few rules to keep track of, but the universe, the storylines, and just the look of the game all promise a memorable experience.

CONAN on the other hand is probably okay. I'm not into Conan in the first play and thus I haven't even considered it, but my guess is I'd rather play STARCRAFT if I was to play a DoaM game.

My vote: ANDROID - because it's a game I'm glad just to have in my cupboard knowing that sometime (soon!) I'll get to immerse myself in something quite special.

More
16 Nov 2009 14:13 #47138 by Johnny
I haven't played either, but based on what I knot about them, I don't have any interest in trying Age of Conan while I would like to play Android. So I need it to survive
vote Android.

More
16 Nov 2009 18:24 #47160 by Mr Skeletor
Both are good but flawed games, for different reasons:
Age of Conan, much like marvel heroes, does not have enough flavor; a bit more chrome would have helped tremendously.
Android probably has too much flavor. It needed a more solid core foundation.

Vote: Android, since there are plenty of terriorial conquest games but not many games like android.

More
16 Nov 2009 19:11 #47163 by DeletedUser
Vote: Android ... for trying to do something different.

Although I have no interest in acquiring either of these games.

More
16 Nov 2009 19:22 #47164 by metalface13
Are we setting a record of people casting votes without having played either game?

More
16 Nov 2009 19:42 #47169 by Aarontu
I never played either, and have no real desire to.

Vote: AGE 'O CONAN

Because I like DoaM games more than deduction games.

More
16 Nov 2009 19:47 #47170 by Shellhead
Aarontu wrote:

Android isn't a deduction game.

More
16 Nov 2009 20:07 #47172 by Aarontu
Shellhead wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

I must admit the only thing I know about the game is that movement is done with vehicle-themed rulers.

How would you describe it?
Not like CLUE? Maybe more like RISK?

More
16 Nov 2009 21:12 #47183 by dysjunct
Aarontu wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Aarontu wrote:

I must admit the only thing I know about the game is that movement is done with vehicle-themed rulers.

It's pick up and deliver, like Return of the Heroes, but with amazing theme, amazing art, and amazing story, and tons of screw-you card play.

More
16 Nov 2009 22:44 #47187 by Not Sure
Aarontu wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Android is more about framing the suspect of your choice by piling evidence markers on him. Nobody is designated by the game to be guilty, it's up to the players to decide that. Guilt and innocence of the various suspects is one big chunk of the VPs, but there are lots of VPs to be gained in lots of ways. Probably too many different ways.

More
17 Nov 2009 03:33 #47194 by maka
I don't see Android as a game about framing a suspect. Mainly because I think it's important to distinguish between the "player" and the "character" as they're very different things in this game.

The "character" is the detective. He's part of a story involving murder, conspiracy, etc... and has to investigate those things while coping with his/her personal problems. The player is guiding the story so that his character ends up with the best story, accomplishing more than the other characters.

While the players do control a character, they also have a lot of control over events outside of what their character can affect. This is the key in Android, as it's not about getting in-character (like an RPG) but about controlling the world around the characters. That's also where the conflict in this game comes from.

So while you as a player are placing the evidence you choose (think of it like a director of a movie, choosing what the characters find in a certain scene) your character genuinely found that evidence (or made it up depending on the character and events).

BTW, I don't see how Android is a pick and deliver game like Return of the Heroes. In Android there's very little "delivering" and it's mostly about moving somewhere and doing something. But also, a big part of Android is about the card play and the player interaction through cards. I do think it has some adventure elements, but it's very different from any other adventure game...

More
17 Nov 2009 09:43 #47205 by Shellhead
Years before The Heathers, my family enjoyed playing cutthroat games of croquet. The kind where if you hit somebody else's ball, you get to tee off on it, knocking them into a disadvantageous position, or maybe completely off the course. Android reminds me of that in a way. All the players are scurrying around the board, bracing suspects and examining evidence, while securing favors in high and low places, and also taking care of personal business. Sort of like going through the hoops on a croquet course as quickly as possible. Playing dark cards on your opponents in Android is like whacking other people's balls in croquet... completely optional, but often very satisfying... until they do it back to you.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds