October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Nuclear War VS Illuminati

More
23 Nov 2009 13:50 #47723 by jhuntin1
Illuminati had it's moments, but nothing warms my Ameritrash fires like Nuclear War. Can I get change for 25 million people? The best is that I still have my "Nuclear War: Don't knock it 'til you've tried it." bumper sticker on the side of the filing cabinet in my classroom and I must answer questions about it 30 times a year.

Vote: Nuclear War

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2009 17:48 #47747 by Mr Skeletor
These 2 games support my theory that all of the Ameritrash 'classics' are in reality, fucking shit.

VOTE: Runebound.

More
23 Nov 2009 18:00 #47751 by Shellhead
Nuclear War is a great game for drinking rules. We made people take a drink for every 5 million population they lost, rounded up. And we had a special rule... if somebody was hit with a 100 megaton payload in a single shot (so not with an MX missile), they got to spin the spinner. If the result was triple yield for hitting a nuclear stockpile, the entire Earth was destroyed, and all players who were still in the game at this point had to shotgun a beer. My favorite was the time when this serious pothead was still in the game when it ended that way. He kept saying "oh myan, oh myan" in that snivelling pothead voice. But he shotgunned his beer okay, after we coached him on the proper technique.

More
23 Nov 2009 18:01 #47752 by Shellhead
The best ever drinking game of Nuclear War was the time when the same player accidentally dropped two different cruise missiles on himself. His mind kept wandering as he got drunker, and he forgot each turn to use those cruise missiles until they came back around the table to him.

More
23 Nov 2009 23:10 #47784 by mikoyan
This is a tough one....

But nothing beats a nuke...

So...nuclear war.

More
23 Nov 2009 23:39 #47786 by The King in Yellow
Michael Barnes wrote:

NUCLEAR WAR, Mechanically, it's total garbage

Micheal is right.
Illuminati is awesome compared to the boring mess of Nuclear War.

Vote: Illuminati

More
24 Nov 2009 08:53 #47797 by mrmarcus
The King in Yellow wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

NUCLEAR WAR, Mechanically, it's total garbage

Micheal is right.
Illuminati is awesome compared to the boring mess of Nuclear War.

That's some mighty fine cherry-pickin' there.

More
24 Nov 2009 09:16 #47799 by lj1983
I remember a friend of mine getting the CCG illuminati for a while, and thinking it was really cool. I think mostly because it was different.

then I played it again while I was at VT at the school club, and it freakin sucked.

vote: Nuclear War

More
24 Nov 2009 11:13 #47817 by Brewmiester
I have played some good and fun games of Illuminati back in college, but a few slow and overlong ones too. And there are some interesting books in the suggested reading list.

Ah, Nuclear War. The buddy who refused to play because of the theme when we were in Illinois to game "Team Yankee" in 1/285th miniatures and play Fortress America. The glow in the dark dice with a mushroom cloud instead of a one. Skippy the supervirus. "25 million of your people mysteriously disappear". The chant of "Pick one up, put one down, turn one over" for the people who couldn't remember the turn sequence. The mutual destructions and the solar system explosions.

Vote: Nuclear War

More
24 Nov 2009 11:24 #47819 by NeonPeon
Brewmiester wrote:

The chant of "Pick one up, put one down, turn one over" for the people who couldn't remember the turn sequence.

Haha what's with that anyway? I thought it was just the people I game with...They always turn one over first. It's really not that hard.

More
24 Nov 2009 16:38 #47860 by Tamburlaine
Illuminati, as others have said is about adding up numbers--you know, the sort of things a spreadsheet does. The only thing that's fun about Illumati is saying things like "haha, Big Oil is controlled by the Eco-terrorists," and that not only wears off quickly, but can be done without actually playing the game.

Nuclear War, on the other hand, is dumb, simple and a lot of fun.

VOTE: Nuclear War

More
24 Nov 2009 19:51 #47872 by The King in Yellow
mrmarcus wrote:

I FOX-Newsed him.
Check
and
Mate!
:p

More
25 Nov 2009 08:39 #47890 by mrmarcus
The King in Yellow wrote:

mrmarcus wrote:

I FOX-Newsed him.
Check
and
Mate!
:p

That would have required insinuating he was actually clearclaw.

More
25 Nov 2009 09:25 #47895 by Bulwyf
Oh this is easy. Illuminati is a classic AT turd. It sounds cool. It looks cool. But in the end it plays like total shit and gives AT a bad name. Nuclear War on the other hand knows it sucks, but it embraces it's own suckage and the result is a game that delivers lots of dumb fun. It's the Judas Priest of AT. Oh yeah and it actually ends.

vote: Nuclear War

-Will

More
25 Nov 2009 13:27 #47919 by Rliyen
Introduced both to many a friend during college. Played Illuminati so much that some of my fraternity brothers would refuse to play with me on account that I might "screw" them. That's when I also attained my outlook on games. It's no longer important to win, but it is fun to screw with everyone else from time to time.

Nuclear war is quicker, but I have a soft spot for Illuminati.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds