October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2700 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Monsters Menace America VS Zombies!!!

More
27 Nov 2009 15:42 #48098 by Black Barney
oh man if Zombies beat Caylus in a TrashDome, that would be like Bush winning the reelection

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2009 16:33 #48100 by Almalik
Vote: Monsters menace/Ravage America

It's almost insulting that it's up against Zombies! (not as insulting as if it were up against Runebound, but close). MMA is actually a fun beer 'n pretzels game. Zombies! is just tedious.

More
27 Nov 2009 23:37 - 27 Nov 2009 23:41 #48117 by Schweig!
I have actually played Monsters Menace America, so vote: MMA!

MMA could be directly interchangeable with BETRAYAL or NEXUS OPS, they're all simple and fun AT games. Well okay, NO is actually a better game. But still there's nothing about BETRAYAL that would explain it's purely random price buzz, that MMA wouldn't have. Except for Jonah's Turn maybe.

The outline of MMA is great and actually a new!, not overused theme. Every player controls a monster and a military force, and the goal is to buff up the monsters for their final battle by tearing down cities. The military forces can only be considered mere distractions, so the players with nukes (navy and air force) usually shoot these at their own monsters to gain awesome mutations.

The final battle is pretty cool, I once was the weakest monster, so the strongest monster took me on after defeating the others. I turned in all my first strike tokens and rolled lots of sixes for the win.

Now you could argue that Zombies has a similar thing to it, namely that the player drawing the heliport wins, but I don't think these two things really compare, so don't even try arguing that way, fool. In addition zombies suck. Ask Barnes. mjl1783 only votes for Zombies, because he likes arguing - but only over banal things, because arguing that making love to a dead animal is not felony and isn't much different from eating an animal would make people think of him as a pervert. He'd rather be considered a fool for admitting to like Zombies, and who wouldn't?

(Accusing mjl of liking Zombies, although he never said that, is my other Mr. Skeletor imitation.)
Last edit: 27 Nov 2009 23:41 by Schweig!.

More
27 Nov 2009 23:59 - 28 Nov 2009 00:00 #48119 by mjl1783
The outline of MMA is great and actually a new!, not overused theme.

Well, it's not totally new. The Creature that Ate Sheboygan used it, as did Oh no! There Goes Tokyo!. Gammauraders isn't quite the same theme, but pretty close.

But you're right, it's not really an overused theme. To be fair, though, neither were zombies when Zombies!!! came out.

mjl1783 only votes for Zombies, because he likes arguing - but only over banal things, because arguing that making love to a dead animal is not felony and isn't much different from eating an animal would make people think of him as a pervert. He'd rather be considered a fool for admitting to like Zombies, and who wouldn't?

Well, I can't argue with that.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2009 00:00 by mjl1783.

More
30 Nov 2009 13:26 #48355 by Rliyen
Have MRA and Zombies!!! Never bothered to crack open MMA before trading them.

No contest.

VOTE: MMA!

More
30 Nov 2009 13:35 #48358 by Space Ghost

More
30 Nov 2009 14:20 #48365 by Shellhead
I played Monsters Menace America once, and never again. The concept is great, but the actual play is fiddly, and the endgame is worthless.

Zombies!!! also has a great concept, and at the time it came out, there was nothing like it in print. The original Dawn of the Dead boardgame had been out of print for nearly 20 years at that time. The gameplay is quick and easy, and it's only the daunting prospect of choosing which 1d6 zombies to move that seems to bog the game down. Really, the only thing wrong with Zombies is that it tends to last too long. If any of you rat bastards had integrity, you would admit that. Every single time that I've introduced a new player to Zombies, they have really enjoyed that first hour of play. And I think that Zombies could still be fun if everybody played with a sandtimer. As one of my friends said during his first game of Space Hulk last week, "Nearly every game would be improved by a sandtimer."

Vote: Zombies!!!

More
30 Nov 2009 15:20 #48376 by ChristopherMD
I really wasn't sure if this would be a lopsided TD or not as I felt kind of the same about both games. They both seemed like they should be more fun than they actually are. And they both look pretty cool when the games are in progress.

More
30 Nov 2009 15:38 #48379 by lj1983
vote: Monsters Menace America

More
30 Nov 2009 15:57 #48380 by Schweig!
But Zombies doesn't have a gigantic eyeball monster.

More
30 Nov 2009 16:02 #48381 by ChristopherMD
Schweig! wrote:

But Zombies doesn't have a gigantic eyeball monster.

True, but what it lacks in quality it makes up for in quantity.

More
30 Nov 2009 17:12 #48402 by jhuntin1
I've played both and both are easily forgettable. MMA has a great concept and I like the idea of the military units, but the endgame is totally lame. Zombies was just not a fun experience.

Vote: MMA

More
04 Dec 2009 12:08 #49036 by ChristopherMD
MMA has cruhsed Zombies!!! under its giant foot.

Monsters Menace America = 18
jgriff
MattDP
scissors
Notahandle
mrmarcus
milhouse46
Grudunza
moofrank
JonJacob
BlackBarney
Dr_Mabuse
Southernman
Almalik
Schweig!
Rliyen
Space Ghost
lj1983
junitin1

Zombies!!! = 3
mjl1783
Not Sure
Shellhead

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds