October 09, 2023
2493 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2696 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Drakon VS Cutthroat Caverns

More
05 Dec 2009 16:08 #49098 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2009 18:09 #49103 by MattFantastic
Never played Drakkon, but Cutthroat Caverns is amazing. Easily a best in class sort of game, especially once you get some of the expansions in the mix.

Vote: CC

More
05 Dec 2009 18:24 #49105 by Schweig!
DRAKON - I dislike any tile-laying game. I think they're kind of stupid. Place one tile, move a thing, repeat. There's one notable exception though and that's TOM TUBE.

CUTTHROAT CAVERNS is a much funnier and a lot more interactive game. Vote: CC

More
05 Dec 2009 18:41 #49106 by Stephen Avery
I can see the comparison but a better mathcup might be Cutthroat Caverns vs. Red Dragon Inn. They both 'take that' games came out at the same time from smaller publishers and managed to carve a niche in the market. I enjoy them bith but CC had better replayability and variety.

CC FTW

Steve"TakeThat"Avery

More
05 Dec 2009 20:17 #49111 by Dogmatix
Stephen Avery wrote:

I can see the comparison but a better mathcup might be Cutthroat Caverns vs. Red Dragon Inn. They both 'take that' games came out at the same time from smaller publishers and managed to carve a niche in the market. I enjoy them bith but CC had better replayability and variety.

CC FTW

Steve"TakeThat"Avery

I was thinking the same thing about CC vs. RDI. I've not played CC yet, but have at least watched several games. It certainly seemed like it was more fun that RDI, which seemed kind of, I dunno, pre-determined in a way.

Drakon vs. Cave Troll perhaps?

Anyway, for this particular trashdome, I'd have to go CC even having not played it. Drakkon is fun but not nearly as rollicking a good time...

More
06 Dec 2009 03:43 #49127 by DeletedUser
Vote: Cutthroat Caverns

This is going to be a hosing.

More
06 Dec 2009 07:14 - 06 Dec 2009 07:15 #49134 by Brewmiester
MattLoter wrote:

Never played Drakkon, but Cutthroat Caverns is amazing. Easily a best in class sort of game, especially once you get some of the expansions in the mix.

Agree totally

Vote:CC
Last edit: 06 Dec 2009 07:15 by Brewmiester.

More
06 Dec 2009 11:39 #49146 by mjl1783
I haven't played CC, but I've had a lot of fun playing Drakon. It's a total gang-on-the leader thing, but in a fun King of the Hill (the game, not the show) sort of way.

Vote: Drakon

Because somebody has to.

More
06 Dec 2009 13:31 #49154 by Schweig!
mjl1783 wrote:

I haven't played CC, but I've had a lot of fun playing Drakon. It's a total gang-on-the leader thing, but in a fun King of the Hill (the game, not the show) sort of way.

Vote: Drakon

Because somebody has to.

I knew it.

More
06 Dec 2009 13:43 #49156 by OldHippy
I hate to follow the herd here but what am I going to do? I never had more fun with a card game then Cutthroat Caverns... it's a killer game that creates great social intercourse. We really beat the hell out of each other when we play... it's just so vicious. There's always a ton of arguing, backstabbing and infighting. The game is brilliant... totally luck dependent but so what. It's just too much fun to care about that shit.

vote: Cutthroat Caverns

More
06 Dec 2009 19:33 #49165 by Mr Skeletor
Both are games worth owning, with fantastic designs. Tough choice but

vote: Drakon

Because its a cleaner design that plays quicker. Both feel like fillers to me but CC goes beyond a filler length. It also tries to get too clever with some of the encounters which can become confusing without really adding to the fun. The "initiative based monsters attack in this part but non initiative based monsters attack in that part" frankly should have been designed out.
Drakon as it stands is pretty much perfect for what it is.

More
07 Dec 2009 14:35 #49239 by Ken B.
VOTE: Cutthroat Caverns

Drakkon is kinda cute (I own it and enjoy it) but it's definitely false advertising...this ain't no dungeon crawl, it's a programming game in disguise where you're trying to generated positive feedback loops, then move your dude through them. I like it, but it's no adventure game.

Cutthroat Caverns is a lot of fun too, and manages to give a multi-player adventure feel in distilled form. The different creature battles with their own rules keep things interesting, and if you want to win, you'll have to do some backstabbing...but not TOO much, because you need these people to cover your ass for as long as possible. Great game, plenty of fun. Have to give it the nod in this matchup, for sure.

More
07 Dec 2009 14:58 #49251 by Mr. White
Haven't played either.

What I do know is that vanilla Drakon and vanilla CC don't include variable player powers. However, Drakon has a variant in the box that includes abilities or some-such. If you want powers in CC you have to shell out another $25. Really? I understand holding back for an expansion, but this seems like a bit of gauging for what should have been in the basic set.

vote for getting it right: Drakon.

More
07 Dec 2009 17:05 - 07 Dec 2009 17:08 #49263 by Schweig!
The special abilities in DRAKON are a joke really. These are all single-use. For example the thief can steal one piece of gold once per game if he ends his turn in the same space as another character. I think the fighter has the same ability only that it's called "beat-up" or something like that.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2009 17:08 by Schweig!.

More
07 Dec 2009 17:06 #49264 by mjl1783
Drakkon is kinda cute (I own it and enjoy it) but it's definitely false advertising...this ain't no dungeon crawl, it's a programming game in disguise where you're trying to generated positive feedback loops, then move your dude through them. I like it, but it's no adventure game.

False advertising my ass. The box says Drakon is "a fast-paced game of chases, tricks, and traps." That's what it is.

Seems to me like you just saw the dragon on the cover and assumed it was a dungeon crawl game. That's a problem with your own personal biases, not the game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.836 seconds