October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Memoir '44 VS BattleLore

More
07 Dec 2009 14:07 #49228 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Voters for CC:Ancients will be flogged.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2009 14:13 #49231 by dysjunct
Vote: Memoir '44

Neither game is great, but C&C at heart is a light game. M'44 realizes this. Battlelore puts lipstick on a pig. It's overwrought, over-complicated, and adds massive width but no real depth.

More
07 Dec 2009 14:17 #49232 by Black Barney
yeah, I would have voted for C&C.

Man, it pains me to do this but I think I gotta vote for BATTLELORE. As much as I got totally sick of it (I HATE the expansions, but I love playing on two boards together to make epic battles), I still got DOZENS of hours of gaming out of this. I own two games of it at my house now and I'm dying to get rid of them.

I SUSPECT memoir would have worn out faster with my wife because of the theme.

so yeah, vote: Battlelore. Pre-expansion, I think it was a really good game. Lots of fun.

More
07 Dec 2009 14:17 #49233 by clockwirk
Mad Dog wrote:

vote: Battle Cry

More
07 Dec 2009 14:18 #49234 by Schweig!
Both game systems are equally designed to rip off gamers who think that CMGs are a rip off. Since BATTLELORE doesn't have much ranged combat it's the better game.

Vote: BattleLore.

More
07 Dec 2009 14:32 #49237 by san il defanso
Battlelore is fine, but it certainly isn't a full game out of the box. It lacks scenarios, and doesn't use its numerous parts nearly enough.

Memoir '44, on the other hand, is a terrific light family war game. It's very accessible, looks nice, and is a full game without needing to buy tons of expansions.

Speaking of expansions, boo on the expansions for both games.

Vote: Memoir '44

More
07 Dec 2009 14:33 #49238 by ChristopherMD
clockwirk wrote:

Mad Dog wrote:

vote: Battle Cry

Oops...I forgot to add that voters for Battle Cry will be ass-raped by Blaster.

More
07 Dec 2009 14:37 #49240 by Ken B.
VOTE: Memoir '44

For being exactly the game it needs to be. The system isn't complex enough to support Battlelore's lofty ambitions, and it shows.

More
07 Dec 2009 14:44 #49244 by Black Barney
man, Battlelore is gonna lose votes here cuz it doesn't have the amazing scenario book that Memoir 44 has. Memoir has that cuz it's a longer running game. Battlelore is too new to sell lots of copies of a fancy scenario book but it's coming.

In the meantime, Days of Wonder's website has AMAZING scenarios that my wife and I used.

In related news, one of my favourite scenarios is Ken B getting hit by a milktruck

More
08 Dec 2009 09:13 #49312 by MattFantastic
I don't like all the ranged stuff and fantasy (despite it being pretty disappointingly non-fantastic) is a much preferred theme.

Vote: Battlelore

More
08 Dec 2009 12:00 #49335 by jhuntin1
I think they're both decent enough games. The Scenario Book makes Memoir a fantastic experience, although I am starting to get tired of the ATM that Days of Wonder seems to have turned it into (We're running short this month, guys. Let's print another 2-sided map and charge $18 for it. Toss in a few plastic bits so people think they're getting value.).

The lore system makes BattleLore a new game every time, even with the old scenarios. I think the expansions also add more variety to the game than the M44 ones do. Sadly, FFG is turning it into an even bigger ATM ($40, 10-figure expansions anyone?). I have both and most of the expansions for each, and I still value both games. Man, this is a tough one.

Vote: BattleLore, but only by a nose

More
08 Dec 2009 12:04 #49336 by dave
Vote M44

I have disliked the C&C system since Battle Cry. I was excited about the magic subsystem in BL but it didn't quite work (similar to Wizard Kings, another frustrating near miss). I think M44 is my "favorite" in the series because of the theater, especially the Pacific expansion.
is a video of my first play of Iwo Jima.

More
08 Dec 2009 14:16 #49364 by scissors
I had just invested in all kinds of M 44 stuff (base, map, eastern front) when BL came out, so I decided to give the latter a pass... and have never regretted it. A friend and I played the Stalingrad scenario for the first time last week (after all this time!) and it was a thrilling 1 hr game full of clever moves. My sniper gradually brought down two whole infantry units (8 guys) - never had a miss. Opponent coudln't believe it. Even so, it was still close -like 10 medals to 7 or 8.

Vote: M 44 by a mile!

More
08 Dec 2009 22:15 #49454 by kookoobah
Battlelore gave us hours and hours of fun -- when it was the only AT game in our house. It stumbled when we got Heroscape, and keeled over when I bought Descent. Since then it has proven to be the great pretender. The units should feel thematic, but they don't. The game should feel like an epic fantasy war, but it doesn't.

The units are all just +1/-1 movement or dice from each other. They would've been better if they had different abilities per unit, passive or active -- something, anything to make the game feel more alive. The expansions added more and more units that just really fell flat.

And the set-up. Dear Lord Almighty. For a long long time, I convinced myself that the set-up wasn't that bad, and that people were making such a big fuss about it. As I played more and more games, I felt that the game was empty of feeling and the lackluster gameplay did not justify the long set-up time. In all our games of Battlelore, maybe 2 ended with in awesomeness, most of them were tedious and uninspired. There weren't too many moments of "C'mooooon give me good dice!" and more moments of "Oh look, I'm about to win now. Let me just roll the dice and get it over with. Ok. I won. Yey."

Bloated. Tedious. Pretentious. Underachieving.

I'm voting for Memoir 44 just because Battlelore hurt me. I wanted it to be something awesome -- just like it promised, and it kicked me in the balls.

More
08 Dec 2009 22:22 #49456 by Mr Skeletor
Vote: M'44.

Battlelore should have been far better than it was.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.708 seconds