October 09, 2023
2423 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Memoir '44 VS BattleLore

More
08 Dec 2009 23:21 #49461 by Merkles
VOTE: Memoir 44.

Love the game--and I have quite a few of the expansions. Yeah, it is easy--and I'm probably voting b/c it is easy to play--esp with kids. Which makes it fun.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Dec 2009 23:41 #49462 by madwookiee
Vote: Memoir 44

Great game that I can play with my kids. Doesn't try to be something it's not (a wargame), and can be played in less than an hour including setup and teardown.

Plus, in a few years, I can transition them to Tide of Iron.

More
09 Dec 2009 00:32 #49466 by generalpf
BattleLore would have been good if it had a fantasy theme.

VOTE: Memoir '44

More
09 Dec 2009 09:31 #49479 by Columbob
SanIlDefanso wrote:

Speaking of expansions, boo on the expansions for both games.

No kidding! Although Battlelore did worse on that count, they should just have packaged entire armies in a single box instead of splitting them. All of the expansions feel half-hearted, like they were missing something. I thought that FFG could have turned that around and presented cool big box expansions similar to what we get for AH or Descent, but sadly no.

Those double-sided maps are the worst expansions in a pretty poor lot.

Battlelore also shouldn't have tried to pander to historical medieval gamers and fantasy battle gamers.

As much as I would have preferred to vote for Battlelore, it fails on too many counts, and M44 is better out of the box and doesn't really need any expansions to shine on its own.

Vote: M44

More
09 Dec 2009 09:35 #49481 by Black Barney
Scissors should post on here more often. I had COMPLETELY forgotten how insanely hot that terminator chick was from Sarah Connor chronicles

More
09 Dec 2009 09:45 #49483 by san il defanso
Columbob wrote:

No kidding! Although Battlelore did worse on that count, they should just have packaged entire armies in a single box instead of splitting them. All of the expansions feel half-hearted, like they were missing something. I thought that FFG could have turned that around and presented cool big box expansions similar to what we get for AH or Descent, but sadly no.

Memoir '44 has the problem of nickle and diming us to death. The fact that they sell everything separately is a serious blow to me ever wanting to buy ANY of the expansions. I COULD buy the Eastern Front expansion, but then I'd want the winter board. So instead of spending my money, I'll just use the base game, which has enough for me already.

If DoW ever actually cared about this problem, they'd package a big-box expansion, with perhaps two other armies and terrain hexes. I'd pay as much for that as the base game. I just don't want to have to buy those same items in three different boxes.

More
09 Dec 2009 09:56 #49488 by generalpf
Memoir '44 is misleadingly cheap to expand. It looks expensive but if you consider that everything other than the Pacific Theater and Eastern Front is crap and subtracts from the game, it's really cheap.

More
09 Dec 2009 17:30 #49640 by Mr Skeletor
generalpf wrote:

Memoir '44 is misleadingly cheap to expand. It looks expensive but if you consider that everything other than the Pacific Theater and Eastern Front is crap and subtracts from the game, it's really cheap.

Couldn't agree more. I stopped at the air pack.

More
09 Dec 2009 18:38 #49661 by scissors
Hey Black Barney,I know right?! Every time I post I end up staring at that damn avatar instead of writing anything intelligent. I'ma going to have to swap it for something else... grummble grummble

More
09 Dec 2009 18:45 #49665 by southernman
Haven't played Battlelore so I'll make my entry short.

I like WW2 games. I like plastic soldiers. I like the simplicity although it does annoy me getting caught with all the wrong cards. I liked the first few expansions as it now gives me different games depending on the theatre. I like the scenario editor which means there are literally hundreds of scenarios at DoW to play. The campaign book sounds great but I stopped pumping money into M'44 a year or so back.
Not much I've read about Battlelore - middleages, fantasy, extra card shit, expensive/useless expansions - makes me think I've missed anything or even want to try it.

Vote: Memoir'44

More
09 Dec 2009 18:45 #49666 by Black Barney
no don't change it! It's awesome.

I'm coming back to this thread just for it. People will probably agree with you more often to incite you to post more in other threads. Except Ken B who always wants me to post more for some reason (I cringe to think it's my avatar)

More
09 Dec 2009 19:17 #49675 by Schweig!
Does the gay thread make you feel uncomfortable?

More
10 Dec 2009 10:49 #49757 by Black Barney
Schweig! wrote:

Does the gay thread make you feel uncomfortable?

There's a gay thread? Why aren't I there!??!

nah, it's just that Scissors' avatar makes me very comfortable.

More
10 Dec 2009 12:28 #49776 by metalface13
I've only played Memoir 44 once or twice on Vassal whereas I used to own BattleLore. I liked Memoir for its quick pace and ranged combat, but I think I only played the first scenario or two, so I'm going to vote for BattleLore just because I'm more familiar with it.

I don't think BattleLore is a bad game, it just never really delivered on what it promised.

Vote: BattleLore

More
10 Dec 2009 12:46 #49781 by mikoyan
Since I haven't played BattleLore but I have played Memoir, I'll go with Memoir. It's not a great game, but it's fun to blow stuff up.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds