October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Arkham Horror VS Tales Arabian Nights

More
19 Dec 2009 14:35 #50797 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Arkham Horror VS Tales Of Arabian Nights

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2009 15:03 #50798 by NeonPeon
Poor poor TotAN...Doesn't stand a chance

Vote: Arkham Horror

More
19 Dec 2009 15:07 #50799 by ChristopherMD
NeonPeon wrote:

Poor poor TotAN...Doesn't stand a chance

The way it was hyped upon re-release would indicate otherwise.

More
19 Dec 2009 15:08 #50800 by OldHippy
I have zero interest in TotAN, Arkham does everything so much better and with a cooler theme to boot.

Vote: Arkham

More
19 Dec 2009 15:09 #50801 by jgriff
Really? Really?

I don't even see this as a comparable Trashdome. Arkham Horror is close to a lifestyle game and Tales of the Arabian Nights was disappointing at best.

Vote : Arkham Horror

More
19 Dec 2009 15:14 #50802 by Shellhead
Vote: Arkham Horror

More
19 Dec 2009 15:14 #50803 by southernman
TotAN sounds a fun game but lacking in some depth. Arkham is just magnificent as you build your own 'perfect' experience by choosing the different expansions you want.

Vote: Arkham

More
19 Dec 2009 15:21 #50805 by dragonstout
Vote: TALES OF THE ARABIAN NIGHTS

All the fun of Arkham Horror with 1/10 of the upkeep and work. Also, the encounter paragraphs that happen to you are much better written and more fun and unique: it's not "you view a hideous creature. Lose 2 sanity", it's "you encounter a ghoul trying to reconcile his hunger with allah's decree that eating humans is a sin, but then he realizes that you've been turned into a snake-beast and no longer fully human, so he eats you". Your stats actually matter more in TOTAN than AH, because you actually have choices about how you react, and also because having a skill in Arkham Horror just makes a difference between pass or fail: in TOTAN, the skill actually makes a qualitative difference in what happens to you.

If not for Arkham Horror's enormous variety, number of expansions, and cool setting, I would have sold it after discovering TOTAN. The trashdome makes sense to me, they both scratch the same itch.

More
19 Dec 2009 15:51 #50807 by Hatchling
TotAN is alright, but there isn't enough in the gameplay to anchor the narrative and animate it with any dramatic tension.

Vote: Arkham Horror.

More
19 Dec 2009 16:06 - 19 Dec 2009 19:52 #50811 by Grudunza
I enjoy TOTAN as an experience game, where the way things unfold and the story that's created is compelling enough to be a part of, and AH is also an experience game in that same kind of way. But in AH you have much more active participation in what happens. Your choices have more of an effect. Yes, it's still very random, regardless of what you do, and I wouldn't say that AH is high in active participation, but it definitely has much more than TOTAN, and for that my vote goes to Arkham Horror.
Last edit: 19 Dec 2009 19:52 by Grudunza.

More
19 Dec 2009 16:23 #50812 by generalpf
Are you kidding me?

VOTE: Arkham Horror

More
19 Dec 2009 16:27 #50813 by Sagrilarus
Arkham Horror by fifteen lengths, and the jockey is pumping his fist crossing the finish.

S.

More
19 Dec 2009 17:08 #50815 by dragonstout
Grudunza wrote:

I enjoy TOTAN as an experience game, where you enjoy the way things unfold and the story that's created, and AH is also an experience game in that same kind of way. But in AH you have much more active participation in what happens. Your choices have more of an effect. Yes, it's still very random, regardless of what you do, and I wouldn't say that AH is high in active participation, but it definitely has much more than TOTAN, and for that my vote goes to Arkham Horror.

See, I think the exact opposite is true. Where are these "choices that have more of an effect" in Arkham Horror? Sure, you can choose whether you want to be a monster-fighter or a gate-closer, but in specific story situations you can almost NEVER choose what you want to do. The strategy game part of Arkham Horror is honestly pretty boring, with no real interesting choices, so I play Arkham more for the experience and story. And Tales of the Arabian Nights has better stories, and ENCOURAGES stories, whereas Arkham almost discourages stories by discouraging people from having random encounters in places like the shops, and giving you so little time to explore and goof off.

I notice that all these Arkham supporters, by the way, aren't saying anything other than "Arkham, obviously." Come ON! Don't you have any REASONS, other than "everyone else is voting Arkham, and I haven't played TOTAN"? BORING TRASHDOME.

More
19 Dec 2009 17:29 #50816 by Jason Lutes
Dragonstout and I will have to live out our livers as heretics in the F:AT wilderness. Arkham just doesn't do it for me. TotAN lacks in the strategy department, but it never fails to entertain, is much more true to its source material than Arkham, and builds a narrative from a series of intutive decisions, something no other game has done.

Vote: Tales of the Arabian Nights!

More
19 Dec 2009 17:51 #50818 by dave
Vote: AH

It's a lot of work, but it's worth the payoff. I'm hoping to have a good replayable adventure game for the family when the daugther gets a bit older, and I'm targeting AH to be that game. TotAN seems like a cute game to pull out once a year for a lark, and I could just as happily pull out Zooloretto (for one) instead.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds