October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Middle Earth Quest VS Lord Of The Ring

More
28 Dec 2009 14:20 #51431 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Several people have requested Knizia's Lord Of The Rings co-op in the Dome so here it is. I worry an anti-Euro bias will kill it before it before it leaves the locker room though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2009 14:30 #51434 by Ken B.
Holy crap is THIS no contest. One of my all-time favorite games versus one I could barely stay awake/keep my interest in? Pshaw.

VOTE: Lord of the Rings

More
28 Dec 2009 14:34 - 28 Dec 2009 14:37 #51436 by southernman
I enjoy playing Lord of the Rings, it's a decent game, and it is great with the Sauron expansion as it increases the difficulty and provides a lot more interaction as someone is trying to toast everyone else.
But I haven't even seen Middle Earth Quest - and because it has got pretty decent reviews and is basically Sauron against the rest I feel I can't really (for once) vote for a game I like without having seen the opposition.

I'm a disgrace.

EDIT: Ken has balls - where have mine gone ?!! I do know MEQ had shitty figures that arrived broken ... I'll try and find (raise) some more negatives so I can feel fine about throwing rocks at MEQ.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2009 14:37 by southernman.

More
28 Dec 2009 14:40 #51441 by doubleozaphod
LotR is a lot of fun, but if I have to choose between a real, human opponent and a stack of square chips as my antagonist in a board game, I'll go with the human every time.

VOTE: Middle-Earth Quest

More
28 Dec 2009 14:43 #51442 by dysjunct
Vote: Lord of the Rings

Not only the best and most thematic Knizia but a great game. One of the must-haves for me; up with Settlers etc. in terms of legendariness and staying power.

A little too soon to tell for MEQ, really.

More
28 Dec 2009 14:46 #51444 by Grudunza
Ack, I just received MEQ and I expect that I'll love that, but there's no way I'll get to play it before this Trashdome is over. LOTR is excellent for what it is and something I come back to playing every so often. I particularly like it with the Battlefields expansion... yeah, the flowchart boards are kind of lame, but what they add in terms of tactical choices is really nice.

Vote: LOTR

More
28 Dec 2009 15:45 - 28 Dec 2009 15:46 #51460 by clockwirk
Could it be that an abstract Knizia beats a thematic Konieczka in the trashdome? Somebody call St. John, the apocalypse is upon us!

LOTR may be the better game, but I would rather play MEQ

vote: Middle Earth Quest
Last edit: 28 Dec 2009 15:46 by clockwirk.

More
28 Dec 2009 16:07 #51462 by ChristopherMD
HAS TRASHDOME IMPLODED???

More
28 Dec 2009 16:35 #51465 by metalface13
Southernman wrote:

I enjoy playing Lord of the Rings, it's a decent game, and it is great with the Sauron expansion as it increases the difficulty

I'd be happy to hear whatever tips you have for beating Lord of the Rings. In my opinion anyone who thinks LOTR needs to be harder is out of their Smeagol minds. Despite playing it a dozen times, I have yet to dunk the ring.

More
28 Dec 2009 16:39 #51466 by TheDukester
No contest.

The best co-op game ever versus a semi-playable, 12-pages-too-long, 78-pound exercise in component worship.

Vote: LORD OF THE RINGS.

More
28 Dec 2009 16:40 #51467 by ChristopherMD
metalface13 wrote:

Southernman wrote:

I enjoy playing Lord of the Rings, it's a decent game, and it is great with the Sauron expansion as it increases the difficulty

I'd be happy to hear whatever tips you have for beating Lord of the Rings. In my opinion anyone who thinks LOTR needs to be harder is out of their Smeagol minds. Despite playing it a dozen times, I have yet to dunk the ring.

Clearly the game must be broken!

More
28 Dec 2009 16:52 #51470 by TheDukester
metalface13 wrote:

I'd be happy to hear whatever tips you have for beating Lord of the Rings.

1. Give that damn ring to Sam;

2. Stop drawing so many event tiles;

3. See 1.

More
28 Dec 2009 19:27 #51493 by metalface13
TheDukester wrote:

metalface13 wrote:

I'd be happy to hear whatever tips you have for beating Lord of the Rings.

1. Give that damn ring to Sam;

2. Stop drawing so many event tiles;

3. See 1.

So I should just remove the event tiles from the game?

More
28 Dec 2009 19:28 #51494 by metalface13
Mad Dog wrote:

metalface13 wrote:

Southernman wrote:

Clearly the game must be broken!

It will be broken soon. Watch out LOTR! I'm coming for you.

More
28 Dec 2009 20:58 #51502 by Aarontu
BLAH

Both games are way overrated.

One is a retheme of Arkham Horror, except with a player taking over the GOO Sauron. And instead of getting clues to seal gates, the good guys have to collect signatures for the "Petition for Sauron to stop doing evil in [location]" and then go to said location and present the signatures (aka FAVOR), which somehow works.

The other is Knizia's mechanical co-op that features 3rd grade level artwork and, in the words of Ubarose, "A game that takes the epic story of the Fellowship and reduces it to, 'We need feet. Anyone got feet?'" And you can throw in exciting expansions that come in spreadsheet form (Battlefields?).

But at least MEQ is fun.

Vote: MEQ

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.230 seconds