October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2708 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - RoboRally VS Wiz-War

More
03 Jan 2010 14:32 #51807 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2010 14:37 #51808 by TheDukester
Vote: Lord of the Rings.

Oh, wait ... that was the other one.

Robo Rally is one of those games I should like, but I end up disliking. The brain burn is just enough to lower my patented Fun Meter™ into the "play Agricola instead" zone.

Vote: Wiz-War.

More
03 Jan 2010 15:09 #51809 by dysjunct
Vote: Wiz-War

Tremendously silly (in a good way), much more direct screwage and clever use of card combinations to create emergent strategy.

More
03 Jan 2010 15:31 #51811 by Dogmatix
dysjunct wrote:

Tremendously silly (in a good way), much more direct screwage and clever use of card combinations to create emergent strategy.

I'll echo these comments. Wiz-war games can devolve into broken-ness with some card plays, but, all in all, a much more entertaining game. I've also found that WW is the much more readily playable game when drugs and alcohol are involved....

I will say, though, that Robo-rally is one of those games that can be played with younger kids pretty easily. My gamer friends with kids give RR very high marks.

Since I don't have kids and have never "Just Said No," my vote is probably obvious...

More
03 Jan 2010 16:21 #51813 by southernman
Never seen/played WizWar but enjoy playing Robo-Rally, so I will be biffing stones and anything lethal within reach at the stranger.

Vote: Robo-Rally

More
03 Jan 2010 16:23 #51814 by moofrank
Vote: Wiz-War.

Just because it is Wiz-War-- A real game as opposed to whatever the heck Robo Rally is.

More
03 Jan 2010 16:50 #51817 by Not Sure
Well this one's easy.

See the ugly green avatar? He's not from Roborally, suckers.

Anyone who hasn't played it doesn't know what they're missing. This is Ameritrash of the first order.

More
03 Jan 2010 18:53 #51822 by mjl1783
Damn! This is actually a tough one to call.

Wiz-War is a classic, no doubt. It's a great concept that designers are still riffing on today. Taking the "take that" card game, and moving onto a board using capture the flag as a guideline really is brilliant. I've had a hell of a lot of fun playing Wiz-War, and when the nukes start flying, it's definitely one I'm going to want to take into the bunker with me. I can definitely see why it'd mop up in this 'dome.

However, if you don't like RoboRally, you have no fucking soul. I don't wanna' hear any more bullshit about how much you love chaos, making the best of what you have, wild swings of fortune, theme, and all those other hallmarks of AT if you can't appreciate this trip through the ACME factory. No other game, not even Heroscape, captures the care-free frivolity of playing with toys like RoboRally does, and if you're not playing it to watch everybody get blowed up real good, you're playing it wrong.

Vote: RoboRally, bitches!

If only because it lost to lame-ass Galaxy Puzzle last time it was in the 'dome, and it needs some love.

More
03 Jan 2010 19:38 #51824 by dave
Both great games that will never leave my collection, but I'm gonna stick with the one that's more unique. Games like Dungeon Twister largely scratch the same itch as The Wiz.

Vote: Roborally

More
03 Jan 2010 19:47 #51825 by Stephen Avery
No contest!

Wizwar rocks. The simultaneous movement selection in roborally is played out and frankly is done better in Dragon delta (which cuts right to the point.) Wizwar offers more variety and chaos and has more narrative. Yes there is some satisfaction in programming the "perfect move" but its a dry and unrewarding compared to epic screwage that can occur in Wizwar.

You people who voted Roborally are misguided at best and porbably closer to delusional.
Steve"Thats the fact- Jack"Avery

More
03 Jan 2010 20:00 #51826 by Ken B.
Easy vote. RoboRally is cute and all, but Wiz-War is the shit.

More
03 Jan 2010 20:06 #51827 by Mr MOTO
Hey Steve,

Is Dragon Delta worth getting/playing? I hadn't heard of the game before you just mentioned it and it looks like a fun filler game.

More
03 Jan 2010 21:04 #51830 by Not Sure
dave wrote:

Games like Dungeon Twister largely scratch the same itch as The Wiz.

Blasphemy. Dungeon Twister looks like Wiz-War, but plays like a sack of wet concrete. The games are utterly unlike. Dungeon Twister is more like Ricochet Robots than Wiz-War.

More
03 Jan 2010 22:13 #51833 by dragonstout
Mr MOTO wrote:

Hey Steve,

Is Dragon Delta worth getting/playing? I hadn't heard of the game before you just mentioned it and it looks like a fun filler game.

My one and only play of Dragon Delta we got to a point where we realized that it was entirely possible the game would never end, literally. Then we never played it again. Roborally is waaaaaaaaaay more fun.

I feel bad voting in this trashdome, 'cause I've never played Wiz-War and figure I'd probably end up liking it better than RoboRally, but I've never even remotely understood the people who complain about RoboRally being too analytical and math-y. Buh-waaaaaaaah? RoboRally's closest cousin is Dungeonquest. So I don't really see that.

Vote: ROBORALLY

More
04 Jan 2010 08:15 #51853 by Stephen Avery
I have to disagree. The theme totally blows but Dragon Delta is better than Roborally and shorter...

If you've not played it, it is also a programed race game except everyone is on a circular board racing to the other side which means your race intersects each other. To move you have to lay a stone, then a board on top then program your move. If some one is in your way you can program a jump over them. you may also pick up boards (only if you don't have that size) or a rock. Lastly you may cancel one other persons action.

Whats nice is that it cuts straight to the conflict of roborally and has ample screwage. By outguessing people and programming dummy moves, you can make it to the other side. Also its impossible to stop *everyone*. Lastly it plays best with 5-6. More chaos, and more routes develop. I don't really reccomend it with 3. It is more thinky, less chaotic, and less fun. I've not had a game last more than an hour and usually its shorter than that.

I haven't pulled it out in a while but for a while it hit the table at least once a week.

Steve"Avatar of Chaos"Avery

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds